Thread: Mystery misfire
View Single Post
Old 25th June 2015, 21:48
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I have done some thinking and poking arround on the E30 zone web site. It seems the only transducers that really affect the engine management are the Crank Position Sensor and the AFM. The other various sensors are only use to tweak the fuel mapping depending on temperature etc. It shouldn't be possible for them to cause a missfire. I have changed the CPS. And I don't see how the AFM could cause the pattern of missfire that I have. So on to new ideas...

Next step is a new set of leads - although that seems to be grasping at straws as the existing leads look fine. But I didn't replace them when I built the car so they could be the originals which makes them 25 years old!. They are Beru which is one of the OEM brands. I have decided to DIY them as a new OEM set is ££££ It's cheaper to buy the proper crimping tool and the various bits required.

At this rate I'll have a complete new engine management system.....

Robin
Robin

Have you considered fitting new plugs/sockets to the loom wires that connect to all the sensors? I had a broken connector to my TPS which caused me problems similar to yours, and I only found it by luck - I caught a wire with my sleeve while poking around at something else and it disturbed the engine revs.
There was a fractured wire/pin contact inside the connector which gave an intermittent fault that was impossible to diagnose.

My £5 is still on it being an electrical fault..........!

Mike