View Single Post
Old 19th September 2018, 21:09
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Following a short holiday away I returned to the realisation that the neglected window frames on my cottage had been ignored for long enough and really did need my urgent attention.

Today was my first chance to get back to the Sabre so picking up where I stopped in August.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
However, it appears that my meticulous rebuild overlooked one vital item. It's been highlighted by Mike, (builder of the superb Marlin Cabrio documented in the Marlin section of this forum and BMW e36 aficionado), that I should have replaced the clutch lever pivot pin. These are apparently a common failure point on the e36 and can result in a very difficult clutch engagement position.
It means that I'll have to separate the gearbox from the engine again, but i'd rather do this now while the body tub is not in position.
But more on that next time........
.............so out came the gearbox again. Quite easy really with no bodywork in places and with only half a dozen or so bolts to remove it didn't take long.

I then removed the clutch release bearing and lever. Removing the old pivot is easy as you can drift it out from the outside of the gearbox. I hadn't inspected it properly before and was shocked to see how worn it was. I was going to replace it with the standard BMW part (shown on the left) until I bought one. For some reason only known to BMW it has a hole up the centre which leaves only 5mm of solid material at the tip.
Having looked at the new part I decided to get a stainless steel replacement (Hack Engineering). It is a nicely machined part but I polished the tip to prevent any wear on the clutch leaver.
I'm indebted to Mike for highlighting this issue which I had overlooked.
Thanks, Mike

Clutch lever pivot by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Refitting the gearbox was quickly done and then I treated it to some nice new oil.

Gearbox Oil replaced by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Nice quality oil from Gulf but a stupid shape bottle that slips out your hand and has no filling tube like the old Castrol bottles had.You need about 1.2 litres so you have to buy two bottles!

Following the discovery of perished dust covers on my first handbrake cable I had another one shortened. This one has solid rubber dust covers which will hopefully last longer.

Another handbrake cable by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Another handbrake cable by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

So a few more jobs ticked of my task list......

.....peter