Thread: Beat the Q's
View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2005, 11:32
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I know, I know...I'm a plonker.....
Even if I'd sold it I still wanted a 5EXI, I was going to buy Marlins silver demo car and stick the type-r engine in it.
I'll get my kit started this weekend and then plod along, might take a while but I'll see how it goes...
Dan I understand how you feel. To strip my donor I booked this week off as holiday. Well I managed to do 3 days (I am very slow as I am labelling everything), before my job reared its bloody head.
So yesterday, today and this bloody weekend I am working. No chance to even look at the car(s).
I still have the engine and gearbox to remove, which won't be for another two weeks now due to work. It doesn't help that I really hate this donor-striping bit. The only plus side of it is a better understanding of the mechanics of the car and how things go together or interacts with each other. So a necessary evil I would say.

There was one high point though. This week I got side tracked whilst removing the heater blower assembly. I looked at the build photos and modified the bits as necessary and within an hour had built up the assembly ready for installation in the chassis. I realise that this is not the correct sequence and I won't be fitting it yet. What it did do though, was firstly give me an immediate sense of achievement of actually starting and finishing something. Secondly it illustrated to me that the build might not be as difficult as I thought it might be. For some reason I was worried about hacking the heater/fan assembly to bits, getting it wrong and scrapping it.

The other thing I have decided not to do with this build is to set myself deadlines.
Every-one keeps asking me how long will it take to build? or will it be on the road next year? My reply is "God knows!”
I refuse to let this project become a commitment or millstone around my neck. Another task to be completed just like in my job.

I would dearly love to drive the 5exi to Le Mans next year. Nice idea but it probably won’t happen until 2007 or definitely 2008 or at the very worst 2009. See what I mean? No commitment.

I decided to do this Kit (or any kit really) because it is totally different to and removed from my real job.
That's why no self-imposed time limits which after all only lead to self-induced pressure. I could so easily let this become a burden. But I won't it's a hobby. A hobby that I hope I am going to enjoy doing very much.
Having a fantastic and somewhat rare sports car at the end of it is just a by-product of this hobby.

Sorry to go on a bit, but hope it helps (it did me just typing it).

Best Regards

Mike