View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:16

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

The reason that I am using the Miata parts for my Sammio is because the availability of Heralds in the US is pretty limited!

I think that it is the perfect choice for the Sammio here. The wheelbase is almost identical. The body needs to be widened by 6 inches to fit the width of the Miata. I actually think that the added width will be a great look. And, the added cockpit width will be welcome by us "supersized" Americans!

The Miatas suspension cradles will bolt into my stiff and light space frame. (The Miata is a unibody and can not be used in the same way that the Gary uses the Herald.) By keeping everything in the same position as the Miata all suspension drivetrain parts, steering, pedals ect will be used in their stock location. The left over Miata parts can be sold for what most people will pay for the car to begin with.

There are several forums in the US dedicated to the MX5. There is a huge aftermarket supply of performance parts. All of which can be used on the Sammio MX5 Spyder.

I don't know about the "Soul" of the car. But, for sound, an aftermarket exhaust with a more aggressive sound is easy. Even a simple "Cherry Bomb" glass pack can give you a great rumble. The suspension on the Miata is a true double Aframe. Which is FAR superior to the swing arm designed used on the rear of the Triumph. When a Swing arm moves the tire contact patch lessens because the tire is moving in an arc. This causes snap oversteer. With a double wishbone design the tire moves more vertically allowing larger contact patches. And with this design the car is more predictable and control able. Hence, the great "power slides".

In the Miata, the scrub radius, ackerman, bump steer, roll center, brakes, steering are all better than on the older Triumphs. Nothing against the Triumphs. Just the natural progression in Engineering.

I think that Gary has done a great job to enable a cool car to be built and registered economically. But, for here in the US the Miata, I believe, is a better choice.