View Single Post
Old 19th May 2016, 19:23

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
Very true , but you can factor in another £5k on your build for a top paint job. The Ultima is also a good example of a Gel finish in as much as the panel gaps are properly sorted so you don't need to trim and fettle them for a good fit. Any such work will nullify a gel coat finish anyway , that's why the Tribute cars aren't at that level yet.
Again, with all due respect Lucky, it's probably not a fair comparison to make between a Tribute panel kit that you bolt onto an old Z3 and a unitary body made to fit on a bespoke chassis to build a car that competes in the same price range as a brand new Porsche Cayman.

Much as I love kit cars I know which of those two I'd rather have if I had £40k+ burning a hole in my other trousers for a hobby car, and it comes from the manufacturer fully painted. And wearing 'Porsche' badges in case anyone wasn't sure which one I meant.

As for having to spend £5k for a top paint job, how about doing it yourself for a tenth of that price plus a fortnights spare time, enjoying the challenge immensely and achieving a finish in the 'as good as the real thing was when Moss/Fangio/Ascari drove it on the track' class rather than the 'never driven, never enjoyed but very shiny trailer queen' class.

I spent way less than five hundred quid to spray mine myself, and that included the compressor, two guns, five litres each of silver cellulose paint, high build primer, standard thinners and high-gloss thinners, all the filler, knifing putty, wet'n'dry paper, a mopping machine, G3 compound, finishing liquid, gloves, mask, disposable overalls, five hundred tea bags and a gallon of milk. Everything needed to spray a car in a domestic garage in fact. And the finish isn't too shabby if I say so myself.

I suspect Phil J spent even less and I know he achieved an even better finish on the two cars he's completed -

Go on, have a go. You never know, you might just enjoy it!

Last edited by Mister Towed; 19th May 2016 at 19:25..