View Single Post
Old 11th November 2009, 20:14
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

What sort of return can be made on the unwanted Leon/A3/Octavia/Mk4 Golf donor parts?

The reason I ask, is all my friends with 1.8t converted cars, have paid around £700 max for an engine, ecu, loom, and perhaps an extra £100 if the gearbox is thrown in. When I went and collected an engine with a friend a few years ago, we extracted a 2 year old Leon cupra engine, and got with it the complete wiring loom (b-pillars forward), ecu, clocks, climate controls, engine, all the engine ancillaries, brakes, etc, for £700. After selling all the unwanted parts we'd collected, the engine owed my friend about £500 - 2 years old, and about 30k on it.

Has the engine / donor market gone up significantly recently? My K20A2 owes me about £1800, and at the time I sourced it engines were changing hands for around £2.5k. I bought a Cat B whole car for about £2k. Maybe this is the way to go with with VAG 1.8t too?

As an aside, from what I understand it won't be long before the various companies on the VAG scene will be offering kits to allow a TFSI engine to run as a standalone unit. One of those, with the dsg gearbox, would be very neat.