Thread: New project
View Single Post
Old 28th September 2017, 10:54

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road
Default New project

Having (just about) finished my Tribute 250 I find myself itching to do something else.
I had pleaded and grovelled to Chris at Tribute to do a Daytona 365 Spider but he doesn't like the car so just isn't interested.
There was then a project to fit an old Southern Roadcraft body to a Z4, this looked ideal but unfortunately got shelved to unforeseen events.
I then had the opportunity to buy the remains of the Southern Roadcraft shell.
I was intending to carry on the project by using a Z4. However studying pictures and a diagram of the body shell it looked to me as if the top of the boot was going to be a problem. It just sits too high and would need cutting out and replacing with a flatter cross member, this would then fall foul of the dreaded IVA.

]Plan B, go back to the trusted Z3, if all fails (quite a likely possibility) I can always do another Tribute 250 which I want to do again in the future anyway.
However trying to source a reasonably priced 2.8/3.0 Z3 is proving to be impossible. Cheapest at the moment seems to be around £2.5k. As I'm not sure if the project will succeed I don't want to sink too much money into it.
So Plan C
Rover SDI convertible replica! But will fit it with pop up headlights and a few other modifications. It is a Rover replica and the "F" word must not be used.
So going to used an E46 BMW. Have just picked up a 325 cabrio, 2001 cat D with a damaged wing mirror, odd set of wheels and a roof that doesn't open for £600.
Hope to end up with this, as seen previously on the "What would you like Chris to build you" thread.

It is going to be a long slow project, the shell I picked up has been chopped up quite a bit more since the top picture. Sills and a lot of the rear body has gone along with one of the front wheel arches which will probably be my hardest problem. Making it back up will be hard enough, getting it to be symmetrical to the other side will be almost impossible, let the bodging comence.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 28th September 2017 at 11:00..
Available from eBay