View Single Post
Old 5th July 2018, 20:14

Yorkshireman is on a distinguished road

my intention with this body conversion has always been to try and use as many of the doners parts as possible. So this is the idea I came up with. I am hope the photos explain the process. The first door took a whole day to hang but with all things the second door was 20 minutes. Most of the time was due to been cautious, lots of nibbling at parts rather than cutting correct size first time.

first two photos show the cut in the body to fit in the hinges this will be filled in at a later date one the doors are hung. It also shows the first modification to the spitfire hinge.

The lower blue pen mark was for positioning outside hinges, however because of the curves and rolls of the design of the door skin i didn't think i could get this method to work and it would have ment buying new hinges.

These photos show how the hinges were attached to the body of the car this wooden arrangement give s me adjust ment up and down forward and back wards and a slight rotate should i need it. The finishing position will be marked and then held in position with strong wood screws.

These three photos show the doors hung. Further modification of the original hinge and two more countersunk set screws will be added to each hinge. one hing is more than substantial for the weight of the door. However even new spitfire hinges have quite a lot of play in them with no adjustment so I will come up with some latch plate that lifts the doors into the correct position when shut on the door latch /look mechanism. Something I will look into back at work, so I can achieve a nice shut line around the doors and fill in the gaps around the hinges.

On refection I am sure this arrangement could be done with steel box section, perhaps, but not this time maybe another build