View Single Post
Old 13th February 2018, 10:04
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Peterux & Mitchelkitman - Agreed about providing a measured response and I'm still working on mine.

I found this useful link.
https://www.smmt.co.uk/industry-topi...sions/testing/

Which should help defeat the DfT's claim that BIVA builders now have 25 years of 'modern' engines to pick from.

As the table shows that only a Euro 5 petrol engine (or newer) would pass Euro 6 standards and nothing other than a Euro 6 diesel engine could be used.

Cheers, Paul.
Paul, you may be right in your interpretation because the wording in the proposal is so ambiguous but my reading is that they want 'kitcars' to comply with the current MOT emissions standards which are quite different to the Euro standards for new cars.
The section 4.10 states
"Kit cars undergoing IVA will not be required to meet WLTP, given that at present they are not required to meet NEDC or the latest EU standards. Instead they are tested to age-appropriate MOT standards, on the basis of the date of manufacture or first use of the engine
But 4.11 says...
We are proposing that for kit cars, compliance with the MOT emissions standards current at the date of registration will be required, despite the use of an older engine. In other words the current relaxation for emissions according to the age of the engine will no longer apply.

Fuel injected engines with a CAT should be able to meet the MOT standard but older engines on carbs may not.
The problem is that they can then tighten the MOT standard whenever they like in the future!!
Mr Towed has always been good at interpreting regulations so it would be nice to see him weighing in. Porsche Speedsters are one club that could be severely impacted.

Thanks for your support and taking the trouble to respond,

cheers,

Peter