View Single Post
Old 4th September 2016, 07:27

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Phil, Slickshod, Nellieb, Roadster, Barber, Swifty, Fatbloke, Thurcroft Flyer - Cheers chaps.

Just to pick up on a few common themes...

Normally, the only exchanges between motorists around here involve rude words & gestures!

So to have so many complete strangers saying nice things as you drive around takes some getting used to.

That and the fact conversations start not only when you are stationary (at lights) but while you are driving along too!

I've have motorcyclists chatting to me as they ride along side and car passengers leaning out of their windows.

I honestly thought the best I could hope for with "Project Frankenstein Hillybilly" was to create a good first impression.
( Where the car would be let down by all the symmetry issues I just didn't have the skills to fix. )

But the reality of the positive reaction has really blown my mind.
( And I know Mr T & others said this would be the case. )

So I'm working on the classic car driver's equivalent of the Cowboy's "Howdy mam." tip of the hat.

Where a gentle tug of my flat cap's peak seems a polite way to react to a big smile from an adult pedestrian.
( Obviously children get a thumbs up, or a wave. )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If this epic build thread has been an inspiration to others, then that is an added bonus.

Although I wouldn't recommend building on a sloping driveway, I have shown it is possible.

But seeing how fast the Tribute (and recently the DNA California) kits can go together, they would be a better bet for a novice like me.

Getting the build this far really took a lot out of me, so driving around is helping to re-charge my batteries.

As I know tackling the bodywork for final paint is going to require a lot of effort.

Before the MOT I was really dreading the extra work involved, but now I am almost looking forward to it.
( It will require a LOT more driving miles before I am actually looking forward to it! )

Barber - Welcome to my build thread.

I have always appreciated the help & encouragement I have received from the forum, so I try to help/encourage others.

I do have a gazebo/"circus tent", but the problem is securing it on the front driveway (to stop it blowing away).

My driveway had to be "permeable" for planning permission, so there is nothing "solid" below the pavers.

Cheers, Paul.