View Single Post
Old 27th July 2017, 08:41

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Sorry if people can't find the thread.
I started with an upset prospective Z3 owner who had stripped a Z3 down intending to fit a 2fifty kit only to be told that no more were being produced.
The website disappeared around the same time, a lot of people thought that they were going to just build turnkey 2fifties but this seems to have stopped as well.
Another post suggested that they had been told that DNA were going in a different direction and producing 365 Porsche replicas.
As I said it's all rumour but is strongly suspected the F have stepped in and are a bit miffed .

I can see them being upset about the modern replica's as they were such good copies, you would have to look very closely to see they were replicas. On the other hand I can't see a company being too upset about a replica based on a car that came out of production over 50 years ago, so long as they aren't using a well known trademarked badge. I don't think anyone can blame them for fiercely protecting it.

Most peoples idea of a kit car has always been some dodgy grp body stuck to a rusty Beetle chassis. Things have obviously come a long way from that and many are superbly designed and finished.
In doing some investigation for a project, I have been told basically, go and buy a decent size model, have it scanned and then the result enlarged. It can then be CNC cut out of polystyrene to give you a mould. This means that it is going to be much easier to copy other peoples designs in the future, I have already seen a Chinese Range Rover Evoke copy that looks so close. Enforcing copyright in China is going to be another minefield.

You wait till WCA gets his 3D printer up and running, I can already see him planning his next car being made from very small sections!

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 27th July 2017 at 08:50..