View Single Post
Old 20th May 2009, 23:15

Mirabeau3000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfranks View Post
Hi,

I am about to put an alfa V6 into my Deon dino, which (bizzarely) came with a golf GTI engine in it. Alfas or Lancias seem to be the most common, but I've gone with the alfa for the thrill of the V6.

Does anyone have any helpful hints on how the gear linkage is set up with this engine option. Photos, notes, or any other advice would be welcome along with any advice on the drivetrain / which hubs to use.

Good to see a dedicated Dino discussion group on here at last, as I think we've all felt a bit lost at times with these bloody cars..!

Nick
Hi Nick,

I have done this engine install in my Deon mirabeau, although the car is not on the road yet I have driven it and the sound and the grunt from this engine is something else!

The gearchange I fitted to mine is a cable change which I modified, it was out of a Mitsubishi colt (old boxy model) and is the same in the older protons - it works perfectly and is quite slick. There are quite a few cars out there that use cables these days but an MR2 might be worth considering. I spoke to the owner of Classic Replicas a few years back and we discussed this mod - on speaking with him some time later he was developing a cable change, I think it was from a Rover - not sure which model. Perhaps it was an MGF?

I stuck with the original Beta hubs on the rear and have gone for special driveshafts. One point worth considering is upgrading the brakes (all that power!) I have Wilwood 4 pots up front with drilled/grooved Integrale discs (284mm dia.) and I'm about to swap for Wilwood 4 pot handbrake calipers on the back - not sure which discs yet - probably the same. This disc is used on lots of Fiat/Alfa/Lancia's of the 2 litre engine sizes.

Try Rally Design, they are pretty good for brake stuff and the prices are good too.

Hope this helps
Jon