View Single Post
Old 29th October 2013, 08:22

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Big milestone Scottie, a very motivating stage as I recall.

Do you really need to lower it any more? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of slammed cars and my original setup was 95mm cut off the front springs and a 90mm lowering block under the rear leaf spring on the Vitesse chassis.

The experience of actually trying to drive it on British roads was a nightmare of fretting over ground clearance though, and not just over speed bumps. The exhaust was actually grounding on gentle crests and dips.

I've now changed the settings so that I've only lowered the back 15mm (but removed six out of the ten leaves from the spring) and cut 35mm off the front springs (albeit softer, 150lb Spitfire springs and with a heavy duty arb fitted). The resulting setup hasn't spoiled the looks but has transformed the ride and handling, and even given it just enough ground clearance, making it possible to drive it a lot quicker with confidence.

That's just my two new pennies worth gained from the experience of running a similar car, I'm not trying to tell you how to build your car

Is the red Rover in one of the pics patiently waiting to give up its motor for your XKSS?

I love my straight six, but if I were to build a road/track car I could be tempted to go down the modern engine route. Especially after coming across this modified VVC powered Spitfire -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg7j1Jt1Lys#t=14

Obviously there are some compromises with this conversion, like the £3,000+ it cost to convert and the interesting siting of the brake fluid resovoir. At least you'll see if you've lost your brakes before the pedal goes to the floor...

Just read your latest update, I lost almost a stone working on mine from dawn til dark while my wife was out earning a crust last winter. But then I kind of needed to lose it

Last edited by Mister Towed; 29th October 2013 at 08:25.. Reason: typo