Thread: DVLA Inspection
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2014, 16:26

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Aren't they getting "Radically altered vehicle" and "re-bodied classic" mixed up here? again... as i'm sure we've been round this 2 or 3 years ago?

What Ribble/Tribute/Mike do is provide parts to allow us to simply rebody classic cars in the coachbuilders traditional way and end up with a 'special'.
As we keep chassis, engine etc and all the mechanical components it's certainly not a 'kit conversion' it's just a re-panel/re-body!

All that said, i can remember that when i read up on all of this in detail a few years ago (as i'm a bit OCD like that!) the 're-bodied classic' route was never really documented on the website, but it was in their paper forms and procedures.
So i'd suggest that if you end up talking to a clone-on-the-phone who just tries to look this up on the web site and replies with the std "computer says no" auto-answer then try and help as much as you can with and describe that 150+ others have already gone through this with no problems!

Also I think that they can't be allowed to add in their own personal criteria and add in this term "kit conversion" as that's not in their rules and means nothing.

i.e.
is a MR2 r-errari 355 a Radically altered vehicle - yup.
but was it also made from a 'kit conversion' - also yup.

So adding that sneaky term in allows them to more easily interpret the guidance how they feel depending on who you talk to and what mood they're in!

<rant over>

Dave