View Single Post
Old 29th June 2009, 20:41
Kit Car Dreamer

paulsul is on a distinguished road
Default lower engine stabiliser / driveshaft failure

Hi Guys.
Has anyone experienced the lower engine stabiliser ripping itself off the chassis tube?
I am running a VVC and the Marlin supplied lower stabiliser which is a piece of threaded rod with a ball joint each end, is bolted directly to the sump and a 1/4" bracket welded to the chasis tube with no strengthening.
This bracket has ripped away from the tube causing the engine to rotate under torque and subsquently allowing the driveshaft to seperate from the inner cv joint. Luckily I was doing about 10mph at the time and no additional damage was caused.
Not being happy with the design when I built the car, I carried on with the build assuming that the design "must be ok".
I am now beefing up the affected area of the chassis tube and considering installing a bushed stabiliser (as per Rover).
I am also considering moving the engine mounts back about 10mm to reduce the acute angle that the driveshafts are currently running at.
Does any one envisage any problems with my proposals, or has anyone else done any mods along the same lines?
Cheers
Available from eBay