View Single Post
Old 30th June 2009, 21:04
Kit Car Dreamer

paulsul is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your input guys.
Typically, i kept loads of bits from the donor since the build, but chucked them all when i moved house. (smaller garage, no room etc)
I am now on thr hunt for another bushed stabiliser and will fabricate new brackets to attach to the chassis tube. That threaded rod idea is useless.
I have also made the decision to move the engine back by 15mm.
The bracket where the engine hangs (the gearbox side) was an easy fix. I have cut out the strengthening gusset on the rear part and re-bent it , in effect opening the distance between the two halves by the 15mm. Installed a spacer of the same dimension between the front part of the bracket and the engine mount and re-welded the gusset, adding an additional gusset to the lower half of the bracket for added strength. This will, i think assist in reducing deflection of the bracket under torque.
I will tackle the other mount tommorrow by extending the platform back enough to re-drill for the engine mount, obviously by 15mm.
I will let you know what the result is after thursday.
I have the car booked in for it's second MOT. I can't believe it's 12 months since i put it on the road.