View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2014, 18:45

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Busy Day - Part 2
I painted the bottom half of my bulkhead crush tube set up and cleaned the top half & bottom plate back to metal for welding.

I know the welding will melt the paint, but it will provide some protection until it is waxoyled.

Then I put the bulkhead back on and loosely bolted all the other mounting points.

( Note: Getting this on & off single handed is quite hard work. )

The alignment was very close, but it was a bit tight for my liking (not easy to see in photo, I had to use a torch).

So I removed the bulkhead & extended the holes so I could move the tubes a few mm.

Then I put the rear framework, body shell & bonnet back on & covered them up.

As by now the clouds were getting darker and I knew my time was running out.

So now my work area was restricted to this.

I cleaned up the top & bottom sides of the bulkhead in preparation for welding.

But it was clear it would be very difficult to cut the tubes after they were welded in.

So I marked them up.

I also cut a couple of slots to allow me to push the metal out of the way.

With the tubes trimmed, it looked like this.

So I clamped it in place.

And welded it in.

I will tidy up the welding some more another day, as by now there were spits of rain.

Which meant my next job was to run back into the garden and take in the washing.

Closely followed by putting the floors into the shed so they didn't get wet either.

I had just enough time to weld one section of one tube from the top.

But had to leave it looking like this as I have to pack up & take shelter from the rain.

I will be welding in some extra metal around the tubes to join them to the bulkhead.

Despite the weather, this was quite a productive day.

Until next time, take care, Paul.