View Single Post
Old 24th August 2016, 19:47

IanA is on a distinguished road
Default A Little Electrical Problem

Needed to move the Z300S to get the Jago out this morning.
Got suspicious when the driver's door unlocked on the key without any other central unlocking noises.
Key in ignition- absolutely dead, no lights at all.
Pushed it out of the way, connected the battery charger and used Jago as planned.
A few hours later, went out to try and start it- still absolutely dead.
Disconnected the battery charger, disconnected the earth battery terminal and touched it back on terminal. There was a visible spark which suggested a higher parasitic drain than just the radio. Connecting a meter between showed 10A !!!
Disconnected the alternator as I've had those fail before- (you usually get a light show from the instruments when they do) but same problem.
Took the top off the fuse box and started to read the circuits trying to see what could use that much juice.
Honestly, I extracted fuse #19 first- driver's seat and... no more drain and car started OK.
Herself had driven it to the Historic Specials Show and adjusted the seat forwards. I'd adjusted it back afterwards- obviously too much for the old motor. Or is there a relay?
Only buggeration was that I broke the plastic radiator return pipe where it joins the rubber pipe whilst removing the air filter. It has a brass ferrule inside at that point so although I've remade the join and it doesn't seem to leak- I'll have to replace it.
So- see you at Weymouth Bike & Car Show tomorrow evening- Thursday 25 August.