View Single Post
Old 5th May 2019, 18:04
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

I spotted a classic wind screen on E-Bay that measured about right so I offered £45 and got it!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=1042440513022

My thought were if it all goes wrong and doesn't fit I'll be able to use it on something else in the future.

The first thing I had to do was clean out all the old rubber seals.
Then lots of penetrating oil to free-up the top hinge and side adjusters.
Once these were working nice I made a simple supporting frame from 3 bits of 40 x 40 x 3 angle.

This frame is fixed to the original top hinge and side mounting brackets allowing it to swing away. This also allows the screen to be removed if needed. .
I had to trim a little steel from the top edge which helps to give it some shape.

Once I had lined the screen up on the truck it became evident some serious cutting was needed.

The top edge of the frame fits against the roof line and is held in place with the aid of some brackets.
The side rails rest on the lower dash cross member to which they are welded in place.

Then it was just a case of filling in the gaps around the ill-fitting wind screen.

Again a very satisfying job that gives the truck a period look .
I was quoted £80 to have a piece of glass cut to fit so alls fine and as a bonus this style of screen also eliminates the need for wipers but I'll fit a single one-arm unit as the holes are there for it.

The next dauting task it to try and fit opening door windows complet with glass, runners, winders, and finally door cards!! .