View Single Post
Old 4th January 2011, 20:26
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswpearce View Post
Guys,
More questions for you.
I have a small collection of hand tools, hammer, large socket set, two small boxes of spanners screw drivers adjustables, typical household stuff and a workmate.

In order to build a Sportster what items will I need to succeed and what could I do without ?
I believe an engine hoist is essential ( probably sell that on ebay afterwards ). Coil spring compressor, adjustable axle jacks, grinder, these are some of the things I have seen on your various web sites that I do not have.
Do I need a bench and vice ? or can you do without ?

Most of the work would have to be done by myself as my few neighbours are well into retirement and have a job to lift themselves let alone lend me a hand. Obviously quite a few items need two people ie. back axle and engine/gearbox. Don,t really have a social circle of friends to call on, but I have a colleague who can weld and fabricate and has offerred to help if I am stuck.

I would love to tackle a build and am very tempted to go look at Spart's as its for sale, but am wondering if its a step too far for me.

Also as his chassis is six years old, have Marlin done any mods to the chassis since then because of problems that you guys have discovered during your builds. If that is the case a new chassis might be better.

Many questions I know, but I am in a quandry.

pm me if you don,t want to put it up for public view.

Many thanks

Dennis
Hmm - tools.

I suppose there are not a huge number that are ESSENTIAL but there are plenty that will make life easier. A good quality battery drill is a must. You will also need a fair collection of metalworking tools - hacksaw, files etc. A bench and vise would certainly make life easier but probably not essential. My advice would not be to buy anything until you need it - that way you don't end up with a box full of tools that have no purpose. But when you do need it - buy it - don't try to get away with something not up to the job. That is where bodging starts and the project starts to go downhill.

I bought an engine hoist - essential for lifting the BMW lump which very heavy being a cast iron block. Peter has it at the moment!

As for help. I did the entire job by myself - with a little ingenuity and the right tools you don't need a second pair of hands. (although sometimes they will make a job much quicker)

One serious piece of advice - don't neglect those safety items (safety goggles etc.)

Robin

PS my chassis is about 6 years old. It was fine after I corrected a couple of "introduced" errors in its construction!

Cheers

Robin