Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 31st May 2020, 21:14

andysharrock is on a distinguished road
Default will need a lot more fiberglass

I do like a project I am on my 6th tribute build with one on order but always wanted to have ago at my own kit /rebody.got this today with the doors not sure of the plan one thing I do know is I am going to need a lot of fiberglass and possibly some wheels

101062727_3211588185571391_518302372515020800_n.jpg

101353420_3211588268904716_762959609664110592_n.jpg
Available from eBay
Old 31st May 2020, 21:24

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Weren't they selling the rest of the kit?

Old 31st May 2020, 21:32

could not afford the middle so I just bought both sides I have got the doors that will keep the draft out lol
Old 31st May 2020, 21:52

all ears for any chassis Ideas or re boby don't really want to go the bug route.
Old 1st June 2020, 07:48

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Good lord, I thought my Speedster body was in a bad way. Do you have the roof?

Without it it's a lot of work to either make one or convert the rear deck to the Speedster/Convertible shape as they're quite different. Even the engine grille is a different shape - flat on the coupe and curved on the Speedster and Convertible.

As for the chassis or re-body, the Triumph Spitfire wheelbase is only 8mm longer than the 356 - 2100mm vs 2108mm while the rear track width is the same (with 1500 half-shafts) at 1270mm. The front track width is also very close - 1306mm (Porsche) against 1245 (Spitfire) - so nothing that can't be sorted with spacers or wheel adaptors.

Obviously, the Spitfire chassis option is completely off the wall, so you might want to consider a Pie-Valley chassis with MGF/TF mechanicals -

http://www.pievalleybuggies.co.uk/beetle-kitcars.html

There are lots of positives with that chassis, not least of which is the choice of engines from a 1.4 K series right up to the 2.5 KV6 and really good brakes, but there are two big negatives for me:

IVA

The MGF track is much wider - by 94mm at the front and 140mm at the back - so flared arches might well be necessary which aren't to my taste.

I could be wrong on that one, though, so do speak to Pie Valley if you're interested.

Anyway, nice to see another crazy Outlaw build commencing.
Old 1st June 2020, 08:17

lol thought it may get your attention mister Towed, no roof but have doors wheel track dose and does not matter. it will be a convertible not having the middle bit means a bit wider or narrower can be accommodated. for now its wall art till I get the"Eureka!" moment . I need a chassis I can not plan anything without measurements. there is a Triumph spitfire Chassis not far away £300 with the engine and v5 that should mean no IVA wich is a must as it would never pass one now days. must admit I am quiet looking forward to building a body .at worse I will have some cool wall art for now
Old 1st June 2020, 08:38

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Good lord, I thought my Speedster body was in a bad way. Do you have the roof?

Without it it's a lot of work to either make one or convert the rear deck to the Speedster/Convertible shape as they're quite different. Even the engine grille is a different shape - flat on the coupe and curved on the Speedster and Convertible.

As for the chassis or re-body, the Triumph Spitfire wheelbase is only 8mm longer than the 356 - 2100mm vs 2108mm while the rear track width is the same (with 1500 half-shafts) at 1270mm. The front track width is also very close - 1306mm (Porsche) against 1245 (Spitfire) - so nothing that can't be sorted with spacers or wheel adaptors.

Obviously, the Spitfire chassis option is completely off the wall, so you might want to consider a Pie-Valley chassis with MGF/TF mechanicals -

http://www.pievalleybuggies.co.uk/beetle-kitcars.html

There are lots of positives with that chassis, not least of which is the choice of engines from a 1.4 K series right up to the 2.5 KV6 and really good brakes, but there are two big negatives for me:

IVA

The MGF track is much wider - by 94mm at the front and 140mm at the back - so flared arches might well be necessary which aren't to my taste.

I could be wrong on that one, though, so do speak to Pie Valley if you're interested.

Anyway, nice to see another crazy Outlaw build commencing.
Great looking chassis, I've not heard of them before.
I wonder how many of those re chassis'd cars actually got entered for IVA ?
I can see many cars being "restored" featuring a new chassis.
Old 1st June 2020, 08:58

pievalley chassis do look good and mgf running gear is very well priced the only mgf I ever drove was a 1.8 and handled lovely much better than a mx5 . would think its that gray area again iva, would depend how good you mot tester is or how knowledgeable to spot a new chassis and raise the question
Old 1st June 2020, 09:31

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Pie Valley chassis is also available to take VW Golf/Polo running gear as well (with drivetrain at rear).
Old 7th June 2020, 16:52

body arrived Thursday so I hit google for measurements to start having a play this weekend. because the car is just two halves it was like a jelly out the mold .it took forever to get it something like in line measure and move umpteen times door gaps are pretty spot on so I am hoping the rest is far away.
IMG_20200606_164958.jpg

I set it up on ladders guessing I could use them as level ground and looking at pictures of a speedster its pretty straight all round the sills

next job try to rough in some structure to the body, I wanted to work inside out so as not to build on top of what I have got but under it. if that makes sense. it can be cut and modified latter when the body is stronger. I left the edges of the fiberglass mat clear of resin so when I am ready to add structure it should tie in better.

IMG_20200606_165916.jpg

I latter cut a V each side of the engine lid opening to pull it down on the soft top its not as steep an angle this body would have been hard top.

IMG_20200607_145947.jpg
IMG_20200607_145956.jpg

at least its starting to firm up the body joining the two halves back together even if it is just roughed in for now. making the boot lid and opening or is it engine lid is going to be interesting one and is going to need some planning.
IMG_20200607_145925.jpg

Last edited by andysharrock; 7th June 2020 at 16:55..
Old 7th June 2020, 19:17

froggyman is on a distinguished road

A good start. Will be interesting to see how this one works out.
Old 9th June 2020, 18:11

4 days work and starting to take shape now it almost looks like a car almost. waiting on resin and reinforcing glass to stiffen it up touch wood should be ok to flip it in a couple of days .I was surprised how thin the glass is I am use to tribute builds 6 to 7mm, this can not be more than a couple of mill in most places. when its upside down I will go go over most of it to build it up . best getting looking for a chassis one I had lined up I lost .

IMG_20200608_153806.jpg

IMG_20200609_090701.jpg

IMG_20200609_095915.jpg

IMG_20200609_170819.jpg
Old 10th June 2020, 07:25

That's taking shape very nicely, and alarmingly quickly. Guess I'd better get a shift on with mine!
Old 10th June 2020, 08:53

Quote:
That's taking shape very nicely, and alarmingly quickly. Guess I'd better get a shift on with mine!
lucky at the mo only working first thing in the morning and late at night so have all day in my garage, I could cope with working these hours long term. may happen yet.

Mister towed what are you using for a window screen on your build did you get it with the kit. I have had a look around you are looking over 1k to buy the correct setup. must be something out there cheaper than that
Old 10th June 2020, 09:41

I'm going for the stripped down, Outlaw racer look so I've sourced a Porsche 550 Spyder aeroscreen (from Martin & Walker). I think it was about £120 from memory.

Not a great picture as it's still in the packaging, but it's the same size and shape as the Sammio Spyder screen, albeit a fully moulded one that attaches without the need for a separate frame.

I did look at the glass screen with the fancy chromed brass frame and alloy side posts, but, as you say, it's a mighty expensive option with even the rubber seals coming in at a couple of hundred quid.

I've seen one or two come up on ebay but they're never cheap and are often in the States.

Are you planning to go with a folding roof or just a screen? It'd save a lot of cash if you used a perspex deflector.
Old 10th June 2020, 18:45

Quote:
I'm going for the stripped down, Outlaw racer look so I've sourced a Porsche 550 Spyder aeroscreen (from Martin & Walker). I think it was about £120 from memory.

Not a great picture as it's still in the packaging, but it's the same size and shape as the Sammio Spyder screen, albeit a fully moulded one that attaches without the need for a separate frame.

I did look at the glass screen with the fancy chromed brass frame and alloy side posts, but, as you say, it's a mighty expensive option with even the rubber seals coming in at a couple of hundred quid.

I've seen one or two come up on ebay but they're never cheap and are often in the States.

Are you planning to go with a folding roof or just a screen? It'd save a lot of cash if you used a perspex deflector.

Well I had the same idea as you but can not do that now, lol one to ponda on for a bit .it crossed my mind to make a metal frame out of some U Chanel and cut and weld the round parts. then have the glass split in the middle like on the old moggy minor . going to need something for the roof long term I may make a hard top to remove and possibly a soft top .as my kit is home made at least the middle part nothing stock will fit. if it dose I will be very lucky for it to follow the profile and width nothing is ever that simple.
Old 10th June 2020, 18:50

fill sand fill sand been one of them days I can still taste the dust.another day of sanding I should be able to start thinking about how I am going to make a bonnet. now that's a tough one
IMG_20200610_153338.jpg

IMG_20200610_153342.jpg
Old 10th June 2020, 19:13

You could go for a really early look and use the Pre-A bent windscreen with just a pair of side posts -

https://www.karmannkonnection.com/sh...pe-cabriolet-/

https://www.design911.com/Front-Wind...nd/prod131424/

Not cheap though...
Old 10th June 2020, 19:43

I looked at the same company earlier 360 for a stock screen still a lot but I think I could make a frame to fit that the profile looks not far away. Its miles off for now. I will keep an eye out one may pop up
Old 11th June 2020, 08:28

Hmm, I got my 550 Spyder aeroscreen (together with a 550 dash moulding and an engine grille) from Martin & walker in Andover.

http://www.technic-motorsport.com/M&...e/contact.html

They're real classic Porsche enthusiuasts and, ultimately they did really help me by supplying the parts I needed but it wasn't exactly 'click and collect' as they're absolutely snowed under with orders for their 904GTS replica.

From memory that's at a base price of around £55k for a built up body/rolling chassis for you to add your own engine to, so I was a bit of a tiddler nibbling their toes rather than the catch of the day in financial terms.

I persevered with emails and the odd telephone call, though, and they were good enough to sort out the parts for me.

Anyway, their website still shows a complete 356 Speedster screen assembly for under £500 so it would be worth contacting them to see if they can help. The site hasn't been updated since 2012, mind, so that price could be a bit out of date.

http://technic-motorsport.com/M&W%20...s%20parts.html

They might also be able to help with a bonnet, but, as I said, they're really very busy.

Anyway, keep up the good work!