Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 23rd May 2016, 13:49

Marc F is on a distinguished road

So progress re-starts (where does the time go - wife, three kids, house, life...). Anyway, sourced some final bits and bobs for the engine and then looked at ancillaries. Found local places to clean my carb bodies and polish the manifold etc, and sorted out how to upgrade the ignition.

So dismantled the carbs - 30 year old fittings took some persuading, but got there. So this weekend will run the bodies etc down for tidying.

As that was happening I have sorted my workspace to allow me access - so moved ladder to ceiling (DIY job making a roller mount for it - idea from Web) and installed tool walls at side of car so I can mount my car tools in easy reach. All takes time away from spannering as my Stag friend keeps reminding me but I needed the space and can't bear being disorganised.

Long weekend ahead so will clean and repaint engine and components and look to the rebuild. I figure the shiny bits will take a week or so to be ready, so that will work out nicely, with aim to get the engine fired up for the first time in 30 years.

Once that happens (if...) then the chassis can be sorted out again. I have most of the bits so really its a clean and re-paint, and then rebuild the moving bits, before turning my thoughts to the supporting frame, which needs some radical reshaping. But that will be this winter's task no doubt.

Some big bills coming up, but hoping to manage the cash flow so that progress can continue. It has taken me a long time to get back to the car, and no doubt life will get in the way again, but for the summer ahead I hope to throw the hours at it, and see how it goes until the darker evenings kick in and sap my morale again...

The target is to get ready for body work prep for next Spring, so that I can take it outside and reduce the dust and mess in the garage. And hopefully by then my finances will bear the strain again.

Oh, and oils - I went for the running in oil that Paddocks sells. After that, who knows, but the next oil change seems a long way off yet (sadly).
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:30

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Welcome back Marc, on the road this time next year then...
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:45

Well, one has to have a target...

The secret is keeping it realistic
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:34

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Marc - Good to see an update.

I am sure once you get back into it, the momentum will build.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:44

1iTim is on a distinguished road

Welcome back! Life does get in the way doesn't it? Mine was a job redundancy and soon an interstate move!

Good luck!

Tim
Old 26th May 2016, 08:46

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc F View Post
And hopefully by then my finances will bear the strain again.
Now there's a trick i want to know how you achieve!

Good to see you back matey and please post loads of pics as we're all interested to see what you're up to and wanting to steal ideas
Old 26th May 2016, 08:50

Never been away. I will post some pics once the carb bodies come back and I get the manifold rebuilt.

My problem is I keep looking at Swifty's build over on the Sammio page and he does do VERY nice work on EVERY part, so it tends to make me want to raise my own efforts accordingly. But my car is never going to be as good as his, sadly.
Old 26th May 2016, 09:38

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I know what you mean as when i started my Sammio i wanted to take the do everything amazingly approach, but in the end i found just as much personal satisfaction getting things done "as well as i could do them" while learning some new skills along the way.
So when i started my Miglia the plan was to adopt that approach from the outset but then revisit bits and make them even-better over time, while at the same time getting out n about and enjoying the car.
Old 27th June 2016, 13:08

Finally (finally) got some time in the garage that was actually on the car - up to now I have been tidying/sorting the space, getting organised. It paid dividends, being able to just find my tools when I needed them (simple job this weekend, stripping the studs off the block). But sure as eggs is eggs, I managed to just strip the engine block of most of its old crud/paint when I was called back for domestic duty.

Oh well, it's a start. But I worry for my sanity sometimes - if it is taking this long for the simple jobs, how long will the bodywork take me :-)

On a more positive note, the carb bodies came back from the bead blasters looking absolutely fantastic - highly recommend the process. I used a guy in Canvey Island who did a first rate and very economical job. AquaBead Blasting in Canvey - easy to find.

Sadly, the same could not be said for the polishing work, done in Rayleigh. Very poor, unfinished, and expensive. Oh well, live and learn. So the manifold will need more attention from me, my polishing wheel and a drill mop etc. Just wish I didn't have to waste money to get crap results like this. If anyone is interested in avoiding poor work, let me know and I will pass the details on privately.

Oh well, trials and tribulations. Next step is to try and remember how to link photos from my album to this thread.
Old 28th June 2016, 07:14

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Marc - Being driven to the brink of insanity by an impossibly long "To Do" list sounds familiar.

Jokes aside, the only way not to get completely overwhelmed by all the tasks ahead is to stick to the job in hand.

But the real key is to use what ever time you have available to work on the car no matter how small.

Whilst I've love to be able to spend 8 hours straight on the car every day, I've settled for as little as 15 mins on occasions.

Just remember every job counts and if you can keep chipping away at it, one day you will be looking at a finished car.

Good luck, Paul.

PS
I've been know to hang washing on the line / hoover / wash dishes / etc. in between car jobs.

Last edited by Paul L; 28th June 2016 at 10:06.. Reason: Typo