Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 4th May 2015, 15:42

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Swifty - There is more craftsmanship in one of your small bespoke brackets, than all of my car put together.

And do my eagle eyes spot a Lancia badge in your steering wheel?

I guess if you and Mr T ever get to park side by side you will keep the owners' club guessing.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 5th May 2015, 18:01

swifty is on a distinguished road

Paul Yes you do spy a Lancia badge but i had these made right at the beginning of the build so are still out on what to use at the moment.
Old 8th May 2015, 19:36

Done some machine work this week to some parts that are for the dashboard.

IMG_5311.jpg

Wasn't to keen on the black plastic knob fitted to a two position pull switch which will operate the headlights so i decided to make a new ally knob.

IMG_5312.jpg IMG_5314.jpg

Whilst i was on i also thought that it would be wise to prevent water getting into the switch and shortening it out so i made a threaded collar with a small o ring sandwich between the collar and switch shaft.

Added a little detail around the ring edge and collar by cutting in with a 12mm end mill on a dividing head then moved the dividing through 90 degrees to spot drill the dimples.

IMG_5310.jpg IMG_5309.jpg

Bought a waterproof push start button which has a rather naff ring holding the rubber boot in place so made a ally ring to slide over to match the other switch gear mods.

I am hoping to finally order the clocks for the dashboard this weekend that's once i have worked out the correct mechanical drive ratio for the speedo, fitting the type 9 gearbox has slightly made things a little complex. I did look at the electronic speedo's which is the easy way to go but the lcd mileage/trip display will spoil the overall look of the car so i am keen to go down the mechanical root.

Well that's it for now see you all soon.

Last edited by swifty; 14th June 2015 at 21:59..
Old 8th May 2015, 22:17

1iTim is on a distinguished road

Swiftly you are doing beautiful work!
Old 9th May 2015, 06:30

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1iTim View Post
Swiftly you are doing beautiful work!
Seconded! Could you do a rough guide to making billet ally knobs/rings (ooer) for those of us who have no idea how you magic up such special looking bits 'n' bobs?

Agree about the digital milometer spoiling the electric speedometers that are available btw. Smiths do a lovely 120mm classic speedo with matching tach, that I rather fancied for a Tribute SWB, but the speedo has a bright green lcd trip meter on full view. I suppose it could be carefully covered up with a strip of plastic/card with an old fashioned analogue version printed on it...

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayprodu...c+120mm+Gauges
Old 9th May 2015, 20:30

Mr T that's the rev counter i am fitting, its 120mm which will look good on the dash but the speedo is only available as an electronic version so i'm looking at fitting the smiths classic 100mm mechanical which means i have had to workout the correct ratio for the type 9 gearbox with a spitfire diff and mgb wheels/tyres.
The guys on Rods and Sods were very helpful.

You need the diff ratio, the tyre Turns Per Mile or TPM and the speedo output ratio in relation to the gearbox output shaft.

My calculation is as follows
Diff ratio 3.89:1
TPM 833.5 on 185 x 70 x 14 tyre's
Gearbox output/speedo output ratio 2.875:1

The above info was used as follows to calculate the correct mechanical speedo gearing

833.5 x 3.89 = 3242.3 ÷ 2.875 = 1127.76

So i need to have a speedo re-calibrated with a gear ratio of 1127 or 1100.

I regards to how i made the knobs etc i manually turned on a lathe each one from a piece of 30mm dia round ally bar to the finished diameters of 25mm with a 10mm spigot drilled and tapped to suit the thread on the switch shaft body, put a 45 degree chamfer on the edges.

Transferred the turned parts to a vertical miller using a dividing head to index the turned part around to get the correct divisional points to machine the detail around the outer circumference, the job was held vertically for the undercut detail and horizontally in the dividing head for the dimpling detail with a spot drill. If you google how to use a dividing head in you tube you will see whats involved, it's a pretty basic engineering technique. Basically the dividing head takes 40 full turns to move the part 360 degrees so you first need to know how many divisions are required then divide by 40, for example i have 8 points on each knob that required machining so 40 ÷ 8 = 5 full turns but like i have already said i you want to see how the dividing head works then pay you tube a visit and all will be revealed.

Last edited by swifty; 12th October 2015 at 21:12..
Old 10th May 2015, 19:03

Swifty - Something told me you weren't gripping these parts between your feet while using a hand drill.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how your dash turns finally out, as it should look very special.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 10th May 2015, 20:38

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Yep, thanks for the explanation. Although I trained as an RAF engineering technician, it was for front-line operational engineering so it was all hand tools as you can't really ship a machine shop into the middle of a battle. We had a separate trade that dealt with workshop tooling, like lathes and sh!t.

Anyway, keep up the good work, it'll be good to see another Sammio on the road.
Old 11th May 2015, 22:24

Was about to fix the gearbox tunnel to the floor when i thought that a few inspection holes with covers would be a good idea for future maintenance.

IMG_5319.jpg

One large inspection hole beside the reversing light switch and the speedo take off point on the drivers side and a smaller one opposite the oil level plug on the passenger side.

Old 11th May 2015, 23:07

1iTim is on a distinguished road

Great idea swifty I'll try to remember that when I get to that point
Old 13th May 2015, 20:31

The throttle cable arrived today which when fitted stood quite high above the closed bonnet line so i decided to make a bracket to hold the cable lower in the engine bay.

IMG_5322.jpg IMG_5323.jpg

Made from 10mm stainless tube with a length of 4mm rod and a small foot plate to attach through the carburetor diaphragm lid screw, tig welded together.

The cable now sits below the closed bonnet line without any sharp bends in a controlled manner for future safety.

Old 14th May 2015, 06:43

Swifty - Another neat job.

Plus I will now add checking where my throttle cable sits to my "To Do" list.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 15th May 2015, 17:01

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I've been adding inspection covers as I need them rather than try and pre-plan them. (on purpose of course )
In case it helps, so far I've needed ones for the speedo cable/gearbox oil, and one either side to get to the inside of my door hinges.
Old 17th May 2015, 08:38

Cheers guys.

I don't think you can have to many inspections covers which will make your life easier later on and save having to strip many parts off to get to a level plug etc.

Yesterday i started to layout and fix various parts to the bulkhead before removing for painting, will post pictures today of the bulkhead.

The second hand speedo arrived this week so i decided to turn an ally knob and fastening ring for the trip reset to match the other knobs made earlier.

IMG_5325.jpg IMG_5326.jpg

The original is black plastic so i've basically turned a part to push onto the plastic knob as an interference fit. The fastening ring has an internal thread which tightens onto the dash holding the cable in place.

IMG_5333.jpg IMG_5329.jpg

Fabricated a tray from 2mm ally sheet shaped to follow the gearbox tunnel. Folded the edges up to 6 degree angle and tig welded the four corners, machined four slots along the outer edge to act as drain holes in case it gets rained on which will more than likely happen. I had some thin foam draw liner from a tool box which cut to shape looks goods and stops things sliding around.

Quite a useful tray for the mobile phone etc, will put a 12v outlet socket hidden behind the dash board just above the tray in case the phone or sat nav needs power.

IMG_5324.jpg

Started to connect various things to the wiring loom starting at the front, before a connector is crimped to the cable i slid a short length of heat shrink wrap onto the cable then pushed back over the crimped terminal and heat shrinked in place which helps to prevent water getting into the connector and also looks more professional, my intentions are to wrap the cable in black tape once all is connected.

Last edited by swifty; 17th May 2015 at 08:56..
Old 17th May 2015, 09:05

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Swifty, I take it that's the horn? If so I think you may get a nicer note from it if you use a thinner bracket or perhaps a laminated one made from two layers of very thin spring steel or perhaps 0.6 stainless?

Just a thought...

I admire your ability to turn things up at the drop of a hat. Looking at your posts makes me regret the loss of my machines when I had to give up my workshop. I had a big (4 ton) Cincinnati vertical mill and a couple of Colchester lathes with all the tooling. All gone now, sadly. I can still use my buddies machines but they are thirty odd miles away... I love turning. Enjoy!
Old 17th May 2015, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
... before a connector is crimped to the cable i slid a short length of heat shrink wrap onto the cable then pushed back over the crimped terminal and heat shrinked in place which helps to prevent water getting into the connector and also looks more professional...
Great tip.
Old 17th May 2015, 09:54

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Great tip.
Apart from the neatness, if a stray strand of wire missed being crimped into the fitting protects it from causing a short circuit to another connector or earthing and possibly blowing a fuse or worse.

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 17th May 2015 at 09:56.. Reason: Correcting the autocorrect!
Old 17th May 2015, 13:36

8 Valve Ed I never gave the horn bracket a thought, the bracket that came with the horn is 2mm mild steel while the brackets i welded to the frame are 1/8" thick so i think i will do a little experimenting as i have gone for the twin high and low note disc horns for a distinctive sound so cheers on that one.

You must of had a large workshop to house a 4 ton vert mill and a couple of colchesters, one of the lathe's i use is a Dean Smith and Grace which i think date's from the mid fifties but still turns out accurate work with the addition of a DRO for laziness but i can honestly say some of these modern lathes are not a patch on the old boys.
I like the manual lathes for the small items I've machined as it gives me the freedom to do a simple sketch then turn as required without being tied up on the tolerances and if its not right i can go back and alter at will.
Old 18th May 2015, 07:32

As promised a photo of the bulkhead with parts mounted.

IMG_5340.jpg

The brake pipe needs a few clips fitting and also still to fit various rubber pipes for the fuel filter, header tank and oil catch tank.
The brake/clutch remote reservoir mount bracket has been powder coated black by a local company to see the quality of work before they coat the dash board etc. The bulkhead will be sprayed the same colour as the body to protect the ally sheet.

IMG_5334.jpg

Now that i've decided on what clock's and switch's to fit ive marked out the dash panel made from 3mm ally sheet. The holes will be machined in as circular profile's on the cnc vert miller .5mm larger than the clock body diameter.

Well that's it for now see you soon.

Last edited by swifty; 26th May 2015 at 08:54.. Reason: typo
Old 27th May 2015, 19:02

Not much progress made of late, machined the holes in the dash for the clocks and switch gear etc so today i dropped the dash, handbrake mount tunnel and gearbox tunnel off to be powder coated in a black/grey textured paint all for £45 which i think is VFM.

Progressed the wiring harness some more but apart from that not a lot of progress made.

Well see you all soon.