Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 10th January 2006, 19:00
Enthusiast

Alfie is on a distinguished road
Default Oil cooler.

This may seem a dumb question but does anyone know what size the thread is on the original oil cooler take off plate (m20 2.5 engine), so I can get pipes made up for my new oil cooler?
Available from eBay
Old 12th January 2006, 19:36
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Cooler

I re-used the BMW fiitings that fit into the oil cooler takeoff. You can carefully remove the swaged hose using a fine toothed hacksaw. I then had Mocal make up some pipes with a fitting for the cooler one end and nothing the other. The end with no fitting is secured to the orignal BMW fittings using double jubilee clips. Take a look at my web site (a picture is better than a thousand words...) http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/martinclan/

Cheers

Robin
Old 13th January 2006, 11:00
Enthusiast

Thanks Martinclan. I had a look at your pics and looks ok to me but I have been advised not to use jubilee clips on oil system. Anyway, I have now been told of a local workshop that can make up new pipes using my old engine fittings with new ones at oil cooler end, so we'll see. Alfie.
Old 13th January 2006, 12:11
Enthusiast

Default Oil Cooler

I would be interested in why you were advised not to use jubilee clips. Is there a danger of the hoses popping off or is there any other issue? I checked with Mocal and they seemed to think it was OK.

Cheers

Robin
Old 17th January 2006, 18:39
Enthusiast

Default Oil cooler.

I checked the reason and was told it was mainly cosmetic but he felt that oil would eventually cause the jubilee clips to slip, so I guess it's down to individual choice.
Old 17th January 2006, 19:24
Enthusiast

Default Oil Cooler

Cosmetic I can cope with - I use stainless clips and you won't see them anyway... I fail to see how they are ever gonna slip - so that's alright then

Old 17th January 2006, 20:05
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Robin, I'm going to follow your lead on this one as well. I'm thinking about adding an oil stat though so the cooler is only used when needed.
Old 8th February 2006, 08:17
Enthusiast

Default oil cooler.

I should have followed your lead Robin. It just cost me £50+ to have 2 new pipes made up. Look very nice but who's going to see them down there? If anyone's interested, the BMW pipe to take off plate connector size is 22mm.
How have people attached your coolers? Have you drilled right through the box section top to bottom? I can't quite make it out from the pictures on show.
Thanks, Alfie.
Old 8th February 2006, 13:50
Enthusiast

Default Oil Cooler

I used Rivet Nuts. In fact I have used Rivet Nuts for almost all fixings. The tool is quite expensive (I bought mine from JustOffBase) but definitly worth the money. If you decide to buy one don't go for a cheap one - they can only set ally Rivet Nuts at the common 6mm that everyone tends to use for small fixings. I think I paid about £60.

If you want I can look up the part number for you - I think it is made (or imported anyway) by Sealey

BR

Robin