Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 2nd May 2019, 15:01

Barber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaz View Post
It's Patina, much sought after in the Landrover Ser1 world.
And also the classic Lambretta world.
Old 27th May 2019, 09:08

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

I spent Saturday at Prescott. Amongst the glittering display of exotica was this little gem, which would have fired me to get on with my build, if only the bodywork were back from spray dude.....

Regards, Mick
Old 27th May 2019, 09:39

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

Gorgeous! It is good to see older specials and kit cars being resurrected. That was, I think a Hamblin Cadet? I am leaning toward the '50s and '60s simplicity. It's a pig waiting to get on with a project.
Old 28th May 2019, 06:35

Thumbs up

Quote:
That was, I think a Hamblin Cadet?
Correctamundo. This is the body that Les Montgomery used for his Super Two kit, which was priced at £99 (although the floor was an extra!). Back on pages two and three of this blog there are some pictures.

Chapter and verse here.

Regards, Mick
Old 28th May 2019, 12:13

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

Cheers for sending me to a site where I could waste half an hour. Almost as bad as the 'A-Z of Kit Cars' for looking up the 'oldies'
Dave
Old 28th May 2019, 17:36

molleur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cheers for sending me to a site where I could waste half an hour. Almost as bad as the 'A-Z of Kit Cars' for looking up the 'oldies'
Dave
Don't feel bad, I spent at least an hour looking up the Ooldies"!
Old 7th June 2019, 09:54

Biggles is on a distinguished road

Historic specials day at Cotswold wildlife park in August is the place for you Dpaz!
Old 11th June 2019, 07:36

Talking Light at the end of the tunnel......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
if only the bodywork were back from spray dude.....
Yesterday, after a seemingly interminable 12 weeks (during which, co-incidently, I've been on the wagon), I went to check on progress, having 'phoned a week ago and received a slightly indeterminate reply. My baby was sitting on trestles, prepped and primed for top coat back to the cockpit, as were the wings and bonnet . Spray dude said she'd be done by Saturday week, which was good to hear.

I'll now launch a pre-emptive strike before you-know-who asks why I haven't mercilessly harassed my sub-contractor to get the job done in short order. The reason is two fold: Firstly, spraying kit car bodies isn't his and his co-worker's meat and drink, it's more in the way of a gardening job to fill in between their real jobs. Secondly, his charges are extremely reasonable, and putting his back up with repeat progress enquiries would be counter-productive for my pensioner's wallet.

I'll post some pictures once she's back home: if it's half as good as the A352 I'll be more than delighted.

"Yes, I know I've built a kink into the fin "

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 11th June 2019 at 07:56.. Reason: Substitute sensibly sized photo'.....
Old 28th June 2019, 08:32

Talking Getting Nearer.......

Yesterday I pootled over to spray dude's place to both stump up and collect the loose parts, which he'd already finished. I have to say that the colour I'd chosen, now applied, has exceeded my expectations! In the flesh it's quite a bit darker than the photo' shows. He'd also, on his own initiative, sprayed the undersides matt black with no extra charge. Top bloke!

The body is very near completion: yesterday was to be high-build primer; today, top coat . The only down side is that my chum's LDV is off the road, so alternative transport for collection has to be sourced. I have a good friend with a Morris Ital estate, so I'm thinking roof bars.......

Spray dude told me that, on two recent occasions, customers asked "Is that an aircraft?" Hilarious. The charge is once again well south of four figures, a fantastic deal.

Watch this space.

Regards, Mick
Old 28th June 2019, 13:05

molleur is on a distinguished road

Really good color choice. I'm liking it!
Old 29th June 2019, 06:54

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mick - Another +1 to the colour choice.

Good luck getting the body home and putting the car back together.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 29th June 2019, 07:53

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Yep, lovely colour and the price of the spray job does sound very reasonable.

Now that you mention it, the body does look like it might've fallen off one of these -

Oh dear, sorry about the image, photobucket are holding all my pictures to ransom
Old 29th June 2019, 09:25

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I always thought the body mould came from one of these....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 215f0b4dfe52cf05d0269e9fef610a4a[1].jpg (92.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 1st July 2019, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Now that you mention it, the body does look like it might've fallen off one of these
Stop it! You've started me thinking of adding a Reichsverteidigung band, JG53s plain black would complement my wheels nicely.........

Regards, Mick
Old 1st July 2019, 20:00

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Sounds good, you could finish the look with mottled paint and white crosses.
Old 1st July 2019, 22:52

Barber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Sounds good, you could finish the look with mottled paint and white crosses.
Greys and blues mottled, a flying helmet wouldn't go amiss either.
Old 9th July 2019, 13:01

Thumbs up The Monaco Has Landed

Today, at long last, it seems, I collected the main body from spray dude. The friend in whose long wheelbase LDV it was transported is undergoing chemo: he can drive OK but lifting is a problem. Loading was a doddle, but unloading at mine was problematic with just me and my son doing the honours. We used a halfway house method, balancing it on my workmate and a discarded furniture item I found in the hedge at LDV height.

The actual colour is somewhere between the above and below shots.

Once the LDV was gone, we could carry it down to the man cave and plonk it on the bespoke table I crafted in '16 for painting the S4 Seven frame. This has it at a handy height for the few engine bay jobs left to do.

Once these are done it can go back on the chassis and reassembly can commence, first job being to make it 'look like a car' for the V627 submission photo's.

I'm more than happy with the finish, there being a mild dose of authentic cellulose orange peel, a nice period touch. My wildly optimistic completion target is August Bank Holiday weekend for the Gloucester Retro Festival, failing that, Castle Combe Classic in October.

Regards, Mick
Old 9th July 2019, 21:06

deggsy is on a distinguished road

Looks like awesome paint job Mick now you can really enjoy yourself putting it all back together for the shows.
Old 11th July 2019, 09:11

Alex is on a distinguished road

Hi Mick. looking good, seems a tight deadline if you do get it done for the Gloucester Restro Festival I wouldnt mind popping up but if not I will definately be at the Castle Combe Classic so hopefully see you soon
Old 11th July 2019, 09:15

Exclamation Coffin Dodger Contortions

On Tuesday morning, brimming with enthusiasm, I headed down to the cave to address the list of tasks requiring completion before body mounting. Front and centre of these was mounting the hand brake multiplier, which bolts through the back end of the tunnel. Once this was done I went to connect it to the bar from the lever I'd fabricated, only to find that I'd neglected to drill the necessary hole. Not a problem: I'll just unbolt the lever and drill it on the bench, or so I thought until I realised the nuts in the middle of the tunnel were inaccessible without unfeasibly long arms. Not wanting to invert the newly sprayed body on the grass, which, help being unavailable wasn't an option anyway, I hit on the idea of cutting a hand hole in the table. Lots of careful measuring and the drilling of a guide hole later, I set to with the hole cutter and access was available.

At this stage, covered in sawdust and with aching arms and back, I quit for the day while I was ahead.

Tuesday morning, with the aid of a socket extension, UJ, and contortions, I knocked that part of the build on the head: surprisingly straightforward. Next job: fit the sender to the 'refurbished' Mini fuel tank. This 'refurbishment' clearly hadn't extended to straightening the butchered locating lugs. Despite the once again limited access I managed to tap and bend them into shape and fit the sender. I decided to test it for leaks but then realised I'd need flexi pipe on the outlet stub. I measured this, the metal pipe through the frame and the unions on the mechanical pump, all at 8mm, and bought on line the necessary, including clips.

What next? Ah, the lock-limiting hose clips on the rack to prevent the front wheels hitting the body. None of the clips in my tubfull was the correct size so more on line buying.

The last job for the day was the connections for the water heated inlet manifold. Both the tappings in the water pump housing had temperature gauge senders in them, one of which needed replacing with the stub pipe outlet. Spitfire Steve had come to the rescue once again with this obscure item, handily delivered in the nick of time. The necessary water hose and clips I found and fitted, but I'll need a ½" compression stop end to blank off the heater outlet of my spiffing stainless steel pipe.

I called it a day.

Regards, Mick