Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 26th June 2014, 09:03

swifty is on a distinguished road

Garyh I may of picked up your question wrongly , were you talking about the caliper cylinder dust seal?

Last edited by swifty; 26th June 2014 at 20:15..
Old 26th June 2014, 13:06

garyh is on a distinguished road

Yes mate.
Old 26th June 2014, 20:14

In that case Garyh i found it easier if the piston was pushed as far into the caliper as is possible, the rubber dust seal sits in the piston groove and also rest down onto the caliper body if that makes sense.

The retaining dust seal ring can then be eased over the rubber to grip the caliper body, i maybe should of taken a few photos as it easier to explain with pictures than it is with words, as they say a picture speaks a thousand words.

One more thing you mentioned splitting the caliper body, if you do make sure you retain the small black rubber seal that sites between the two halfs where the brake fluid passes, you don't get a new seal in the caliper repair kit.

Last edited by swifty; 26th June 2014 at 20:29..
Old 27th June 2014, 07:28

i have pushed the piston all the way in... when they say use some brake fluid when rebuilding... is this just to put the piston through the large O ring seal? maybe everything is getting a bit slippery.
Old 27th June 2014, 18:08

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Sorry to butt it, Gary if its all getting a bit slippey use some aerosol brake cleaner to clean off the fluid on the outside, as long as the piston and seal are all the way home you wont get it anywhere that will damage it as the first time the piston moves out it will wipe brake fluid on the cylinder wall anyway.

HTH
Mac
Old 29th June 2014, 21:19

Finally have the chassis back on its wheels with the engine installed

IMG_4490.jpg IMG_4488.jpg

Stainless steel exhaust and manifold fitted.

IMG_4486.jpg IMG_4487.jpg

Copper brake pipes made and fitted with stainless braided hoses.

IMG_4492.jpg

Engine and type 9 gearbox fitted with ally adapter plate between gearbox and bell housing, will make anti vibration mount for the gearbox to complete the job.

Until next time.
Old 30th June 2014, 07:16

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Very nice indeed.
Old 30th June 2014, 07:53

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

That's coming together very nicely. Looking forward to seeing the body go on now. Keep up the good work!
Old 1st July 2014, 22:52

Thurcroft flyer is on a distinguished road

that looks exceptionally clean well done, excellent finish.
Old 3rd July 2014, 20:43

Finished the gearbox mount bracket today which means i can now finally fix the engine and gearbox to the chassis at the weekend.

IMG_4501.jpg IMG_4500.jpg

Made out of a solid billet of ally finished size 160mm x 60mm x 50mm. I've over engineered the mount bracket to make sure all is ok. Used four poly bushes left over from the suspension kit which at the moment works a treat, will see how they perform once on the road.

The first image is looking into the well were the type 9 gearbox mount's, the gearbox is firmly attached to the new bracket with a 10mm high tensile cap head with a nyloc nut for safe measure.

IMG_4502.jpg IMG_4505.jpg

First image shows the underside. The second image shows the bits required to add the mount to the chassis. The two wedge shape blocks in the red borders are to be welded onto the chassis where the original well is for the triumph gearbox mount which I've removed, the shape allows the new bracket to sit and mount onto a level surface, i will take a photo once the two wedges are welded to the chassis.

The two bobbins have been machined to a specific length so that the nut and washer will tighten down to the correct height so as to slightly compress the poly bushes into the bracket bore.

Last edited by swifty; 27th November 2014 at 20:31..
Old 4th July 2014, 05:55

phil9 is on a distinguished road

nice work ...going to look great
Old 4th July 2014, 07:08

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Swifty - I do like watching someone who knows what they are doing at work.

Great job, Paul.
Old 4th July 2014, 08:01

I love these CnC machines...
Old 4th July 2014, 08:04

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Beautiful engineering. It's a shame it'll all be hidden from view.
Old 4th July 2014, 12:16

Thurcroft flyer is on a distinguished road

once watched the designing of a top notch Italian motor cycle (forgot the name ) on the discovery channel. the seat mounting bracket engineering was a work of art, that no one would ever see, but I suppose if you know it's there and how it was built, this is what makes these machines stand out, and unique. this motor will be a one off top notch quality item. keep up the fantastic work.
Old 4th July 2014, 14:13

Phil 9, Paul L, Gary h, Mister Towed and Thrucroft flyer - Thanks for the compliment lads, its greatly appreciated.

Thrucroft flyer - you are correct, it is how its put together and the fact that i know whats under the skin sort of speak.

Placed an order first thing this morning for a bespoke prop shaft with North West Prop shafts and just had a phone call to say its being dispatched this afternoon for delivery on Monday so that's a turn around of six hours which is exceptional service, i certainly will recommend North west Prop Shafts and also the price was very competitive.
Old 4th July 2014, 17:41

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

Got to say , i like your extra effort your putting into your build, nice work.
Old 5th July 2014, 20:38

Today i managed to fit the type 9 gear box mount and it went well, all holes etc lined up.

IMG_4511.jpg

The two pads welded to the chassis circled in red, very near to where the triumph bracket was originally bolted. I pre drilled and tapped M10 holes in the pads and used these as a guide to drill through the chassis after the pads were welded to the chassis.

IMG_4513.jpg

I used a very handy tap wrench with a ratchet mechanism which is ideal for confined spaces as this is. The chassis is now also tapped to M10 so that after the bobbins are screwed in i can put a check nut on the back side to make it 100% secure.

IMG_4517.jpg IMG_4514.jpg

The new mount bracket fitted to the chassis and gear box, it all went very smoothly so i am pleased with the out come. Gear box filled with 1.5 litres of semi synthetic 75/90 oil, 2nd images is looking down inside the gearbox, now need the prop shaft fitted which should be here on Monday.
Another job done and you've probably noticed the brake pipes need securing to the chassis, i am thinking of using plastic P clips spaced every 250mm which should suffice the MOT guy.

Tomorrow i am hoping to rebuild the carbs which were stripped a couple of months ago so that will be interesting trying to figure out what goes where but i did take a few pictures which will come in handy.

Until next time see you all soon.

Last edited by swifty; 5th July 2014 at 20:48.. Reason: typo
Old 6th July 2014, 21:04

Finally got the Strombergs rebuilt with a full overhaul kit and they are looking good.

IMG_4509.jpg

Full overhaul kit for one carb, each kit contains all replacement seals, float chamber needle valve, diaphragm, fixed jet, spindle bush/seals, gaskets, spindle (one long and one short spindle), butterfly plus washers and screws. Fairly straight forward rebuild just have to make sure the new fixed jet is positioned just below the bridge, the part the piston rests on at the bottom of its stroke. Also reset the float height to 17mm, invert the carb body so the float rest down on the float chamber valve then measure from the carb body (gasket removed) to the highest point of the float, to adjust the height simple bend the tab that rest against the chamber valve. As the insurance add on the tv says SIMPLESSSSSSSS......

IMG_4510.jpg

This is what is left of the spindle seal, it looked ok when the spindle was removed but after prodding with a small screw driver the seal crumbled so it definitely was time for an overhaul, these are probably the original 40 years old seals. The new seals in brass housings are either side of the crumbled seal plus new spindle and butterfly trial fitted.

IMG_4522.jpg IMG_4523.jpg

The finished carbs fitted to the engine with the stainless heat shield which i made earlier, had to cut various bits from the shield to accommodate the carbs and their linkage. I've also polished the dash pots which now means i will have to keep polishing them, may of been wiser to have them bead blasted which leaves a clean satin look with out the constant polishing, may be something to do later.

IMG_43377.jpg

This was how the carbs and engine looked a couple of months ago, its surprising how bad it looked back then.
Old 6th July 2014, 21:12

Top job, i will refer back to...