Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 24th February 2022, 17:06

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Smile Carpentry and glazing duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
PS - Good luck with the bird boxes. I have never had any luck persuading anything at all to nest in mine. However they do seem to like my neighbours ugly Leylandi hedge!
Yesterday, after having work in the cold and windy cave interrupted by the succession of storms, I mounted the completed sparrow hotel on my back wall, and blocked the swift nest entrances pending their return from Botswana in early May.

Today I replaced the top half of the corrugated cave window which Eunice had ripped out, and added a 3x3 central leg to the slightly bowed work bench in anticipation of plonking the engine, and subsequently the gearbox, on it for cleaning etc. Once I'm happy that the jobs which might prove difficult with them in situ are done, I'll bolt them together and offer them up, at which time the real work can begin. Roll on spring and summer!

Regards, Mick
Old 18th April 2022, 12:24

Question Dilemma?

Today, at long last, my no. three son removed his single bed from the cave, allowing me access to my daughter's stuff stowed behind it. A couple of hours of sorting out, organising and re-stowing of said items had the newly swept cave fit for purpose again. Hurrah! The six weeks since my last post haven't been entirely wasted, as I made yet another twin swift nest box from the ply left over from the sparrow hotel. This I mounted with help (it's a two ladder job) last week.

Also in the interim, on a whim, I bought a Dutton Phaeton II minus engine and 'box as it was such a bargain and the front landing strip was looking lonely. Whilst pondering what the hell I was going to do with yet another kit car, I hit on the idea of passing on the Marlin and putting the 'Climax' engine and 'box in the Phaeton instead, which I'm certain is quite a bit lighter. It has the integral front wings and headlights which make it, to my eyes, quite ugly. These I would cut off, patch the holes with ally sheet, and fit Lotus Seven flared wings (I have access to a pair) and headlights on stalks to complete the look.

The question is, should I pursue my original plan or the new one? As my very first kit was a Phaeton II, and I've built a Marlin once already, I'm leaning heavily to the Lotus Seven-ish option.

Regards, Mick
Old 19th April 2022, 09:24
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post

Also in the interim, on a whim, I bought a Dutton Phaeton II minus engine and 'box as it was such a bargain and the front landing strip was looking lonely. Whilst pondering what the hell I was going to do with yet another kit car, I hit on the idea of passing on the Marlin and putting the 'Climax' engine and 'box in the Phaeton instead, which I'm certain is quite a bit lighter. It has the integral front wings and headlights which make it, to my eyes, quite ugly. These I would cut off, patch the holes with ally sheet, and fit Lotus Seven flared wings (I have access to a pair) and headlights on stalks to complete the look.

The question is, should I pursue my original plan or the new one? As my very first kit was a Phaeton II, and I've built a Marlin once already, I'm leaning heavily to the Lotus Seven-ish option.

Regards, Mick
My first kit was also a Dutton Phaeton, and my second a Marlin Roadster. In my view there is no comparison. The Dutton (in my experience) was poorly made and flimsy compared with the Marlin. I may have been unlucky but absolutely nothing fitted on my Dutton and one of my outstanding memories was the steering column support which was a single exhaust clamp and flimsy welded strip. Which needless to say broke at the most inconvinient moment.... In its defence it was very light and it was the first kit I built (I knew nothing....).
But given the choice I know which I would build again.

Cheers, Robin
Old 28th May 2022, 09:57

Default Bye Bye Marlin

Quote:
My first kit was also a Dutton Phaeton, and my second a Marlin Roadster. In my view there is no comparison. The Dutton (in my experience) was poorly made.... in its defence it was very light and it was the first kit I built (I knew nothing....).
But given the choice I know which I would build again.
Thanks for that Robin, and in principle I agree, but in this instance, as I'm determined to use the 'Coventry Climax' engine, I shall pass on the Marlin. My plan for the Phaeton is as my post of 18 April, which would result in a similar look to the one on the left in this iconic picture as Team Dutton pass between the pits and main grandstand at Le Mans in '88 (I'm on the right).

I bought a Machine Mart stand for the engine this week as my previous plan of working on it on the bench was simply too iffy. Once I've finished with the Gunk and Autosol I'll post a picture.

I'll be listing the Marlin on Ebay later today: seven day auction with a 99p start and a mystery, but easily reached, reserve.

Regards, Mick
Old 28th May 2022, 18:16
Enthusiast

Look forward to seeing your progress 😀
I hope the Dutton you bought wasn't YKX 2X 😉

Cheers Robin
Old 29th May 2022, 08:11

Dutton Phaeton Red. 1598cc, tax due 1.1.07, so I'm guessing it's on its way to being a 'barn find'...

Regards, Mick
Old 29th May 2022, 09:03
Enthusiast

What a coincidence. YKX 2X, the Dutton I built, is red (green when I built it), had a 1600 crossflow, and according to the gov Web site due for tax 01/01/07....
Cheers Robin
Old 8th June 2022, 16:34

Quote:
What a coincidence.
Cheers Robin

Not really, I checked the reg. on the DVLA site, and posted accordingly...

Regards, Mick
Old 8th September 2022, 22:30

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

A long time since I looked around this site. Long covid and other jobs, Everything has gone quiet here. Nothing serious I hope.
Old 12th September 2022, 13:53

Default Moved next door...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaz View Post
A long time since I looked around this site. Long covid and other jobs, Everything has gone quiet here. Nothing serious I hope.

I sold the Marlin, and am re-building a Dutton Phaeton. Will be posting there in a minute - spoiler alert: I'm just back from the Beaulieu Autojumble .

Regards, Mick