Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 11th October 2012, 17:46

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ze hun View Post
Towed, this also was MY first idea. But our new government is against such behaviour. Uncool...
Ha ha. Don't worry, I remember when we had an empire and trampled all over other people's countries for the fun of it too.

Now our Government looks like it's going to pay compensation to some Kenyan Nationilsts, just because we stole their country and tortured them and stuff. Surely, it was for their own good?

I can't see the German Government folding under that sort of pressure. Well, not unless the Greeks get out of bed at the crack of first thing in the evening and demand war reparations...
Old 11th October 2012, 20:53

Aah, welcome back Micha. It's a shame that as a rule your rules rule out fun cars like the Sammio and Westfield, which rule. Bad luck old chap, you must be so jealous.

Oh, and the reference to selling it in France or Russia was a snipe at our shared 20th century history. Ze Hun got the joke so it seems not all Germans are completely humourless, just like not all Brits are dithering fops like Hugh Grant or Boris Johnston...
Old 12th October 2012, 08:07

ze hun is on a distinguished road

there is a MOTed Sammio for sale in Germany on ebay. That is not such a big problem.
But a historical numberplate is hard to get. Though the GSRA (German Street Rod Association) told me that nothing is impossible... ;-)

Towed, the Greek's loss is the british gain: Selling in GBP makes the car much more interesting for the UK market.

So the pickup-price is 4.500 GBP.

If this is no bargain - then show me one...
Old 12th October 2012, 09:52

Some specs:

- Chassis 1959 Herald, lies on the street like a real sportscar (I also own a 1973 911, and I know, what I'm talking about)
- Herald Engine 1200 from later model
- new tyres Vredestein Sprint classic (the only acceptable ones)
- additional inner mirror
- red harnesses, braces-style
- Moto Lita-style steering wheel
- V5 doc
- cool race stainless steel OMP fire extinguisher

As you might all know, this car was built by Gary himself and was reviewed here:

http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/Issue/april2011.html
Old 14th October 2012, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha View Post
have you ever been at the TÜV to get the car tested?
No.
Old 16th October 2012, 07:36

neither chassis nor engine bay pics available. I'll shoot some for ebay UK. Won't sell it in Germany anyway. Germans always want a car with Mercedes quality... a car that produces gas, is friendly to children and is able to transport half an IKEA... And we all know, that a Sammio is a little different...
Old 16th October 2012, 17:07

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Ah, we missed you. The man who knows everything. It must be such fun.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:10

Ahh, the rat look. A classic style...
Old 16th October 2012, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha View Post
"neither chassis nor engine bay pics available" .... i can guess why....it would be 5min job to do some...if those pictures would help to sell the car, rather than upset potential buyers.

and as you already stated b4 that your sammio is a factory build, i guess i know the reason why you dont shopw any enginebay pictures, because it looks similar this:

chassis and engine taken as it came from the herald..with rust, dirt and oil, collected in 40y. original suspension, without any bushes replaced, original hoses, brakes, shocks, brake-lines etc...

and thats the reason why you dont show any pictures of it. what the reg.date? 1959? still drum brakes all around??
I'd have to clean it to make it look like this.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:24

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I would need to use weed killer before I tried to clean mine!

Just spotted the none original radiator over flow bottle too, although on second looks, it could be a temporary fuel tank fitted in front of the radiator
Old 16th October 2012, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
I would need to use weed killer before I tried to clean mine!

yeah, that's my engine bay
Old 16th October 2012, 17:27

When I lifted the bonnet a cat ran out, apparently she used to live under the bonnet when she was due to have kittens.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:38

Just cleaned it up... was a pig of a job! But here you have it:

Old 16th October 2012, 17:51

davecymru is on a distinguished road

We told you that it would look better without all of the overspray!
Old 16th October 2012, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
We told you that it would look better without all of the overspray!
You know, here in Germany, an engine bay has to look like an operating room. No dust, no grease, no dirt. Vee are notttt kidding viz zat!!!

If you don't believe me - ask Micha
Old 16th October 2012, 18:28

I didn't try to tempt the cat back into my engine so I could keep it original. My car was a pre-cat* model

*pre-cat is English term for pre-catalytic converter. Just in case it doesn't translate well
Old 16th October 2012, 18:31

Now, I chose to buy a body and frame from Gary J and build the car myself.

I did this because it had been my dream to build a fifties Porsche sports racing car replica, a 718 RSK Spyder, for more than thirty years, (I'd even perfected the Sir Stirling Moss hairstyle) and I knew I could never justify the £15k outlay needed to do the job properly. Then Gary pops up selling his very pretty bodyshells on ebay for the equivalent of tuppence h'apenny, and the decision was made for me.

At the time, Gary offered the option of 'stage' builds, where the customer provided the donor car and Gary and team (Mike) disposed of the unwanted parts, prepared the chassis and bonded on the bodyshell for a modest sum of money. For a bit more money, he and Mike would get it finished to a basic standard and hand it over to the customer as a turn-key car.

That, as I understood it, was the deal. The chassis and running gear you handed over came back to you exactly as it arrived at Gary's palatial premises, warts and all.

As Gary has frequently pointed out on this forum, he's not a car restorer, but likes to offer cheap individualist motoring for the discerning few. Or discerning hundred odd who've bought bodies from him over the last two years as it happens. So, if you wanted a pristine chassis, polished brake back-plates and stainless braided hoses, that's how you needed to deliver your donor to Gary. The problems Gary has experienced regarding unhappy customers and the criticism Micha levels at the cars would seem to me to be down to the occasional customer or armchair critic who just didn't get this concept, and expect McLaren quality for McDonalds prices.

So, it matters nought that the 'factory built' cars are a bit tatty round the edges, if you want to be really happy with your Sammio, the answer is to build it yourself. Oh, and think about how little you've paid for the parts before bleating about the quality.

Right, I'll get down off the soap box now.
Old 16th October 2012, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
armchair critic
By the way: has anybody ever seen Micha's Sammio?
Old 16th October 2012, 18:53

seanick is on a distinguished road

Apropo (sp?) Nothing, Towed, been meaning to ask, can you touch type?? Would have taken me all morning to type that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Now, I chose to buy a body and frame from Gary J and build the car myself.

I did this because it had been my dream to build a fifties Porsche sports racing car replica, a 718 RSK Spyder, for more than thirty years, (I'd even perfected the Sir Stirling Moss hairstyle) and I knew I could never justify the £15k outlay needed to do the job properly. Then Gary pops up selling his very pretty bodyshells on ebay for the equivalent of tuppence h'apenny, and the decision was made for me.

At the time, Gary offered the option of 'stage' builds, where the customer provided the donor car and Gary and team (Mike) disposed of the unwanted parts, prepared the chassis and bonded on the bodyshell for a modest sum of money. For a bit more money, he and Mike would get it finished to a basic standard and hand it over to the customer as a turn-key car.

That, as I understood it, was the deal. The chassis and running gear you handed over came back to you exactly as it arrived at Gary's palatial premises, warts and all.

As Gary has frequently pointed out on this forum, he's not a car restorer, but likes to offer cheap individualist motoring for the discerning few. Or discerning hundred odd who've bought bodies from him over the last two years as it happens. So, if you wanted a pristine chassis, polished brake back-plates and stainless braided hoses, that's how you needed to deliver your donor to Gary. The problems Gary has experienced regarding unhappy customers and the criticism Micha levels at the cars would seem to me to be down to the occasional customer or armchair critic who just didn't get this concept, and expect McLaren quality for McDonalds prices.

So, it matters nought that the 'factory built' cars are a bit tatty round the edges, if you want to be really happy with your Sammio, the answer is to build it yourself. Oh, and think about how little you've paid for the parts before bleating about the quality.

Right, I'll get down off the soap box now.
Old 16th October 2012, 18:56

Yes, I learned to touch type at a rate of about sixty words a minute while I was studying for my OU degree about fifteen years ago. Useful skill these days!