Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 21st March 2015, 22:14

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info Robin, I have been playing...

I had a rummage in the loft and found a 50mm velcro sanding attachment from my wood turning days. I have something similar which has some very rough Scotchbright type pads which click onto a special mandrel but I couldn't find them, they were what I was actually looking for... Anyway the sanding attachment seems to work well enough, so I think I will go with what I have. The pads I have are 240g it looks good, I will try some furniture polish if I can find any! :roll eyes:

I have a silly idea of using a 115mm coarse Scotchbright polishing flap-disk to create a border around the speedo and tacho 100mm apertures by making up a special mandrel and clamping the facia down on a boards it can't move. It would make a large circular disk around each dial of about 7mm, which would save the expense of buying bezels.

We have been busy riveting the bonnet hinge in. It's taken most of the day and been extremely fiddly. It's done now and very solid. The hinge gutter seems to be OK although it will need some adjustment once the bonnet is final fitted.

The Anvil which I made up to support the rivet snap which I use to settle the rivet head in as I peen the other end.

A close up of the hinge joint showing the layers of the assembly and the hinge gutter to keep the engine dry.

This evening, Michael peeling the protective film off the back bulkhead while I played with the dashboard.

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 21st March 2015 at 22:21.. Reason: Adding another para.
Old 21st March 2015, 22:21
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Nice work on the hinge, especially like the hinge gutter
Old 21st March 2015, 22:27

Thanks JG, it was a spur of the moment flash of inspiration which triggered the hinge gutter idea. I imagine it's been done before, although I have never noticed one on other cars.
Old 22nd March 2015, 17:37

Paul L is on a distinguished road

8 Value Ed - The bonnet looks great.

Plus it looks like you be have a nice finish on the dash board too.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 22nd March 2015, 21:26

reneanglia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Valve Ed View Post
Thanks JG, it was a spur of the moment flash of inspiration which triggered the hinge gutter idea. I imagine it's been done before, although I have never noticed one on other cars.
Looks good,will work out fine.........
As for other cars i don't know,but my '48 Anglia(same as ford pop) has also half bonnets but they are slotted in a bonnet strip wich act as a gutter,i presume most cars with bonnet halfs works this way.
Keep up the good work,almost there now..........
Old 23rd March 2015, 00:16

Paul, I am really happy with the bodywork generally to be honest i'm having a ball! Some of the tasks are a challenge, especially with a meagre budget, but that's half the fun.

The dashboard should be nice although I haven't worked out how to make the cubby hole door work yet. I am thinking in terms of a large letter box but upside down. I want the spot faced swirl effect to be continuous across the whole facia. Needs more thought, apply the 7 p's, prior planning etc. also KISS.

René, Thanks for the encouragement, I am just about 90% complete but this week, although I have been working hard all week about 12 to 14 hours a day, I don't seem any further forward. It took us all day Saturday to rivet the bonnet halves to the hinge. Today I have been trying to make a bracket for the Kenlowe Fan but I have also been showing Michael how to mix body filler and apply it and keeping an eye on Christopher, the younger of my two boys.

One of my neighbours has given Christopher a lovely tool chest with quite a few nice tools and various 'bits and pieces' so I went over to make sure he had thanked my neighbour properly, when he offered me an engineers square! A real mammoth one 24" on the blade, weighs a ton, it was a bit rusty but I cleaned it up and it's a Moor and Wright 402 precision square. OK, it's old and it has a bit of weld splatter but for me it's wonderful, I have cleaned and oiled it, I already have a 6" one so now I have a matching pair, little and large! Will post a pic in a day or so when I have caught my breath after the weekend with the boys.
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
For those interested in making bodywork from ali its also worth a look at the Pembleton forum. http://thepembleton.org.uk. These little three and four wheelers have a body made entirely of ali.

Cheers, Robin
Robin, I confess I have only just visited the Pembleton website you gave me the link for. I 'lost' the link, buried in the posts, I had skimmed through my entire thread several time trying to find your link without spotting it. This morning I was at a loose end and went carefully through each post in an effort of find it, it is in post #99! I am really pleased I did because it's a valuable insight into another world of car building. The workmanship is second to none, I would say it rivals aircraft construction in it's quality.

I need to spend more time browsing the various links, but it has given me several ideas, particularly for the dash. Food for thought...

Thank you for bringing it to my attention, a belated New Year's resolution, "I must read and bookmark links when I first see them".
Old 23rd March 2015, 15:48

redratbike is on a distinguished road

just dropped on this thread not sure how i have missed it before

wonderful prooject i'll read in full later

but very impressed so far
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:36

Welcome aboard RRB, I hope you enjoy your read. Thank you for the kind words, I have been working on cars since I was very young, occasionally getting into deep trouble!

I remember on one trip to London (from Yorkshire) we were passing Scampton airfield in my fathers Alvis speed 25, when the car started bumping along with a bit of a wobble. My father instantly diagnosed a puncture, naturally I was elated! This meant I would get to operate the jack, hammer the wing nuts off with the copper/leather mallet and change the wheel. My father wasn't pleased about my enthusiasm, muttering dark words! LOL I suppose I was about seven or eight. Between us we changed the wheel, he was not well, suffering badly from TB over the years.

My favourite car:

~1934 speed 25 Alvis with Cross and Ellis body.
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:35

garyh is on a distinguished road

Very nice, but I prefer Cross & Blackwell...
Old 23rd March 2015, 21:20

LOL! It was a bit of a sad time when it went, I think it was about '59 or thereabouts. My father sold it to a local 'enthusiast' because it was rather thirsty, the triple SU's could gobble petrol at an alarming rate. About six months later it was advertised in Motor Sport by a Park Lane dealer for £6,000. That was a LOT of money back then. My father had been ripped off big time, but that's life as they say.
Old 25th March 2015, 18:32

Default Major Milestone!

I started the engine again for the first time in a couple of weeks, I needed to resolve some issues before I closed of the front end ready for final fitting the wings and fitting the bonnet etc.

Today I drove it forwards and backwards, only a few feet in the garage, but enough to assure myself the clutch is fine. No clanking when I engaged gear, the clutch pedal felt nice, smooth take up and the pressure was pretty good. Huge sigh of relief. I had envisioned pulling the engine to resolve the non release issue, that wasn't on my list!!!

So, the percentage of tasks completed is 93.4 right now. Today I completed several of the tasks I had been putting off. I fitted the reversing light switch, this meant I had to make a little domed cap to cover it because I couldn't get the transmission cover back on once the switch was screwed in.

Another task in the same area was the gear lever bias springs, somebody had fitted the spring so it was easy to engage reverse but hard to engage fifth, I fixed it simply by turning the spring over and bending the ends.

I have made up the mountings for the electric fan, simple but they took some making. I have also raised the radiator by about two inches, to the maximum I can without taking lumps out of the nose cone or the header tank. This means the top of the radiator is slightly higher than the topmost part of the engine water system, so to should work better now.

I have installed the two fuse boxes, a main 'power' box and a second ignition controlled circuit box. I have installed the engine side wiring to the front. Still to wire the lighting circuits.

I will add some pix later. I need to go tidy the garage now.
Old 25th March 2015, 21:43

Default Some Pix

Have sorted some pix from the last couple of days, they say a picture tells a thousand words, so, here goes, with a few words too.

The fan brackets I spent over two days making.

The bottom bracket:

This is one of the three connections to the hub motor, the tube is cut from a child stairgate, brazed to a piece of 1/8" X 1" strip held to the motor by an M6 Stainless cap screw and nut. It's so long since I did any brazing I can't remember when! Bit like riding a bike, it soon came back to me. Brazing is rather like soldering, very handy for holding two bits of metal together when they aren't doing too much heavy work.

A general view of the fan assembly:

The fuse Boxes I fitted today. The far one is taken from a Renault I think, the other is a spade 6 way fusebox which I have looped all the inputs together by soldering a link underneath.

It's a bit difficult to understand this one, it's my brake light switch. There is a microswitch behind that aluminium plate held by the two black X point screws. You can just see the switch contact with the brake pedal lever, when the brake pedal is pressed the contact is released and the switch turns the brake lights on. The concertina bit is the Ford steering column and the split pin is the brake pivot pin holding the shaft which pushes the servo.

The handbrake and gear lever, the bias spring can be seen here. Note, also my Marlin gear lever knob! The hand brake is from a series 2 Land Rover.

A second view of the gear lever with the reversing lamp switch. The wires broke off the switch and needed re-soldering on.

The little cover I made for the reversing lamp sw.

This is the Moor & Wright engineers square I had given at the weekend, 24" tall, bigger than my little pillar drill!

Well that's all the pix for now. Thanks for reading my thread.

Last edited by 8 Valve Ed; 25th March 2015 at 21:47..
Old 29th March 2015, 16:38

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

Hi Ed, as promised back on the first page of this thread here are the photos of the Lexus sc430 seatbelt arrangement s front and rear and the bracket off my Jeep roll hoop to hold the seatbelt. Sorry it took so long I had a spaniel phone tablet smashing incident. Ed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150329_161737.jpg (90.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150329_162003.jpg (88.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150329_161911.jpg (82.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150329_163105.jpg (87.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 29th March 2015, 16:52

Having bother getting pictures up but the links seem to open fine PIC 1 at 6'1" my shoulder is 3" above the seat belt outlet the belt passes through the strap that is fixe to the seat one end and has a magnetic clasp at the other so belt can be slipped off for rear seat access.
PIC 3 left to right rear belts my shoulder is prob 6-8" above outlet not that I can really fit in the back.
PIC 4 bracket on the roll hoop for my Jeep that takes the standard belt holder ( as fitted in most older cars.)
A removable roll hoop may be a very safe option abling you to correctly position the belts the female mount could raise the belt exit a way and be permenantly fitted and trimmed and the hoop could be lifted out for shows etc may not be Alfa esq as the original but I have just seen a car flipped over on the M62 and it wasn't pretty. At least a roll hoop and correct on the shoulder belts would give you a fighting chance. Enjoying your build I really like berlinettas. Ed.
Old 29th March 2015, 19:37

BSM, Thanks very much for this pix, not a problem clicking on the links and then returning to the post.

Initially I will be going without a hoop but as soon as I am satisfied with the car I will install one.

Michael and I have been running the Marlin RV8, it purrs like a big pussy cat! I have set the dwell and was about to check the timing when the bottom hose burst off it's connection, we both got showered in pretty hot water. Nobody hurt and I think it's mended now. I think it could have been my fault, I think the Jubilee clip on that connection wasn't tightened properly.

It's a hang over from the previous owner who's engineering skills were second to almost anything. The tube used to connect the two halves of the bottom hose is polished stainless steel with no bead, so it's just a short, smooth piece of slippery pipe. I should have junked it but the prices CBS (and others) charge for such a small component are well within my definition of rip-off. I may have to bite the bullet or get myself to a lathe to make my own. Even ribs machined in the existing tube would help, I suppose roughening it with the angle grinder would be another alternative.
Old 29th March 2015, 21:18

There is a berlinetta on eBay at the mo that has a hoop although the pictures are not very good. Ap performance in mirfield west Yorkshire sell all manner of tubes and silicon hoses I have always found them keen on price they have a large eBay shop. ebay link 190884993451
Ed.

Last edited by a big scary monster; 29th March 2015 at 21:28.. Reason: adding link
Old 29th March 2015, 23:06

Thank you, that Berlinetta seems a bit odd, brand new for £5,000??? No plates and not even any details of what engine etc... As you say the pix are very lacking for what it is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marlin-Ber...item25a35effea

Mine is running at £3,000 (so far) and it's built on a scrooge budget with chewing gum and string.

Thanks for the link to the hoses and connectors, most useful, I don't tend to use eBay much now but that seems a good source. I definitely need to do something I can't leave that joint like it is indefinitely.
Old 29th March 2015, 23:16
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Valve Ed View Post
Thank you, that Berlinetta seems a bit odd, brand new for £5,000??? No plates and not even any details of what engine etc... As you say the pix are very lacking for what it is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marlin-Ber...item25a35effea
I can't remember the specific details but I think there is an issue with getting a Berlinetta through the IVA. Something to do with the front suspension that VOSA have decided is not safe. The price probably reflects the fact that is not IVA'd or registered.
Old 29th March 2015, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I can't remember the specific details but I think there is an issue with getting a Berlinetta through the IVA. Something to do with the front suspension that VOSA have decided is not safe. The price probably reflects the fact that is not IVA'd or registered.
My understanding is there is no way VOSA will pass a Berlinetta with the Cortina front cross member/subframe because it's not carrying the imposed loads in the way Ford intended, nor is it mounted as Ford intended. I am aware of a Berlinetta with welded in suspension mounts like the Cabrio which uses a form of Sierra suspension but are't there issues with using the cut down struts?

When I fist saw mine I thought it needed a strut across where the engine would have been, that isn't practicable because of the position of the nose cone but I have put a strut across the front extensions which carry the tie rods to help strengthen that area. Time will tell if that improves things.

There is no mention of a V5 or date of registration, if it is unregistered then it's grossly overpriced in my opinion, only worth the value of the parts, which while they may be new they are old hat.