Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Closed Thread

Old 24th March 2016, 22:39

smash is on a distinguished road

Ooh I do love a bit of irony!
Old 24th March 2016, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by y cymro View Post
What size wheel and tyre is that?.
Hi mate - they're 215/65r16 on 7j rims - I just copied what Richard has cos they looked 'right' to me on his car.

Last edited by smash; 24th March 2016 at 23:29..
Old 30th March 2016, 13:16
Enthusiast

Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road

Happy wife!

Great colour, wheel and accessories choice Scott, well done!

Old 30th March 2016, 22:02
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

That is very nice indeed. Really clean look with no frills etc.

My compliments to all involved.

Dave
Old 31st March 2016, 18:53

Paul L is on a distinguished road

The car looks great now, so it should look even better with the grille and final touches.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 7th April 2016, 09:19

In for bumpers and mouth at the moment.

There's some snagging to sort out.

Having to get used to spending half hour at petrol stations...partly due to interested parties and partly due to the fuel line routing lol!

Last edited by smash; 2nd June 2016 at 16:53..
Old 7th April 2016, 17:42

Cheers Jeff - I actually had a fuel pump just cut out on me cos I was taking so long to fill up!

I think Richard's working on a solution for future builds - I'm not sure you can actually get a swept bend under there it's so tight.

The guy fabricating my bumpers and mouth suggested mitre-ing a 90 degree elbow as it's so tight. Although it would be a hard right angle once you got the fuel flowing it should be fine.
Old 7th April 2016, 17:46

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Even if you get a bend in there I think the petrol will just splash back all over you and the car. I would image the petrol pump constantly cuts out as well.
Maybe dishing the wheel arch under the filler to create a bit more room. Another job for the trusty lump hammer.
Old 7th April 2016, 17:54

Other option could be to have the petrol filler mounted in the boot, TVR Griffiths always used this method.
Old 8th April 2016, 18:02

Maybe it's Hammer time then...

Bumpers are progressing:

Front quarter made up but not cut in to body shape

Rear bumper cut in to body shape but not mounted or finished:

He's been working flat out on these - he thought it might be easier than it was as the car looks quite symetrical but isn't at all so no taking sweeps from one side and copying to the other! I haven't seen them yet and won't until it's complete but he said they take away any hint of kit car and make it look production. Excited!

Last edited by smash; 8th April 2016 at 18:05..
Old 8th April 2016, 18:35

Looking good,will he be able to make repeats from what he has or will he need a car each time?

Any idea roughly how much they are going to be?

Looks like in future it would be worth fitting the bumpers before paint, tempting fate!

I think it will make the car look more like a production model than a kit.
Old 8th April 2016, 19:26

These have been done freehand, no buck so car each time and yes before paint would make a lot more sense but you get these mad ideas as things go along so timing doesn't always work

Yes he would do more but cost is big - 4 figures

Last edited by smash; 8th April 2016 at 19:30..
Old 8th April 2016, 19:29

I can feel some stalking coming on, armed with some grp and release agent!
Old 8th April 2016, 19:34

Not a chance!

Last edited by smash; 8th April 2016 at 21:59..
Old 1st June 2016, 09:12

The picture of the problem of fuel filler pipe has gone walkabout. Any chance of reposting it, I'm about to start it on mine and want to try and avoid a similar problem.

Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:53

Sorry link was broken - It's a few posts up!
Old 24th July 2016, 06:01

Been a bad time recently - my mum has mid stage Alzheimer's and my English Bull Terrier who had congestive heart failure died this week.

As a result the car has had hardly any use and I've had zero interest in it.

Yesterday I decided it needed some pampering so I gave it a clean and quick polish before taking it down to Haywood and Scott in Basildon to discuss exhausts. They were very intrigued with the car and thought the design was clever. They've made systems for a number of real 250s so knew exactly what I wanted. We discussed noise and sound and he talked me out of having no silencer as he felt it would be too droney. He showed a small Ferrari silencer that he thought would take the edge off and give a more tuned and tighter sound more in keeping with the look.

End result it goes in 27 August for fabrication fitting - will be with them a week. Their stuff is truly works of art so should finish the rear off perfectly.

From there I went to chrome FX who do the same coating procedure as used on the DNA 2fifty bumpers. Rough estimate to do my bumpers and mouth surround was 500. Undecided about bumpers but the mouth is a definite and as they do powder coating I'll probably get the grill powder coated at the same time.

Two great products to recommend:

1. Mothers Mag and Alloy paste - this stuff is way better than Autosol. Brought the bumpers up nicely and more importantly quickly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mothers-Mag.../dp/B00068GEJM

2. Poorboys Black Hole glaze - you can use this stuff as final finish after wax or quick 'top up' between waxing. It's specifically for dark colours and has fillers that help hide swirl marks. Very easy on and off and the best bit? You can use it in direct sunlight. Brilliant stuff and highly recommend it for anyone stupid enough to have painted their car black!

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/glazes.../prod_494.html

Finally I went off to a local meet (the Eric's) and caught up with a load of old mates - car created a real buzz and looked very pretty. Funniest thing was getting buzzed by a Ferrari spider on A130 up there - he was gagging to get proper look so I pulled in to inside lane and he cruised past very slowly to have a gander before dropping it a cop and blasting off up the road. Also had a play with a TVR Tuscan - no, I know I didn't stand a chance but actually there was much less in it 50-90 than you'd expect, I was certainly happy with my showing.

Also had white Porsche 911R come to virtual standstill on otherside of road to look at the car when I was stopped on seafront - most amusing. And had an Alfa 8C (stunning) follow me through Leigh.

So an enjoyable day that's prompted me to get on and do the bits left to do..

Last edited by smash; 25th July 2016 at 10:23..
Old 24th July 2016, 06:43

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Smash - Sorry to hear about your mum and dog Scott.

But I'm glad you had a chance to get out and about in your car.

I was always convinced that the reaction you would get from the public would help make any bad memories from the build fade a bit.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 24th July 2016, 08:01

You are right to have an exhaust box, a straight through pipe is too loud and droney and will annoy you after a few miles.

I normally hate playing with exhausts as they are always rusty and a pig to weld up, however I'm looking forward to playing with the Z3. I'm going for a single pipe with twin outlets so that I can keep the spare wheel.
Looking on EBay there seems to be every diameter, bend and box you could ever wish for. If it all goes to plan I hope to fit it all for about £70.

One trick that used to be used on TVR Griffiths was to cut the bottom of the exhaust box open. This reveals the perforated tube and packing insie. You then cover the perforated tube with thin sheet steel and hold it in place with jubilee clips. The more perforations that are covered the louder the exhausts are. With a bit of trial and error you can "tune" the sound. You then simply place a plate over the hole, give it a s much of an overlap as possible and secure with stainless self tappers and exhaust sealant. So long as the box isn't rusty it is an easy job, I find that a 1mm cutting disc in an angle grinder gives a very clean cut.
Old 25th July 2016, 10:25

Measured the gear lever diameter and ordered some aluminium tubing over the weekend - I have a plan...
Closed Thread