Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 13th November 2005, 13:02

Tim Rust is on a distinguished road
Default Flash line in bodywork

Hello people this is my first attempt at this forum. I've had my EXI for two years, and its yellow. I'm attempting to wet and dry the flash line that goes around the bottom edge of the bonnet and to my amazement after only a short time black marks started to appear so I have stopped. So far I have made very little impression on the flash line. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can offer any advice.
Available from eBay
Old 13th November 2005, 16:23
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Don't know the answer to the problems your having. But this is how Dylan did the bodywork:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/phpd...454&highlight=

Hope that helps
Old 13th November 2005, 21:58

Yep thanks for that, I can get the finish on the panels ok. but it seems there is a lack of gel coat colour, and in some places its non existant, I will have to take it up with marlin. Thanks anyway
Old 14th November 2005, 18:48
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

I had the same problem with my Sumo. Not sufficient coverage of Gel coat causing the resin to show through as a black mark or line.

I couldn't find a fix for the problem, even getting some gelcoat from Pilgrim and scraping out and filling with gelcoat just seemed to cause another black outline of the void just filled.

Not sure there is a fix, Den may come along with a solution or if Marlin tell you what it is I'm sure we would all appreciate an update.

Cheers, John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Old 14th November 2005, 20:59

Hi John.

Thanks for that, I have now got two more resin marks along the front of the car, I have taken photos to take to the Exeter show on Saturday, it will be interesting to hear what Marlin have to say, as its a manufacturing fault.

I have spoken to a mate who works with fibreglass, it sounds as if my spray gun, compressor ect is going to come in handy.

I will keep you posted, I would be interested to know how you resolved your problem?

Cheers
Tim
Old 8th December 2005, 11:06

Default flash lines in bodywork

Hi Folks,
I thought it was time I posted some sort of update. I took photos of the resin marks to the Exeter show as evidence of my problem, had a long chat with Mark about it and was given three options, 1 = was to have replacement panels ( but what was to say it wont happen again ) 2= A payment towards a respray. 3 = a repair ie scrape out and refill with gell coat ( not good me thinks ). The other issue is that Marlin do not get there body panels from the same supplier as mine came from any more!!!!!!!

Thats how it was left but unfortunatly nothing concrete has been offered to date.