Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 20th July 2014, 22:50

zagmad is on a distinguished road

Thing is once the shell is finished im going to be driving it as a daily driver so if it turns out a minger ill be selling it the next day. I've gone over the lines of the car again and again and i think its got to a point where it cant get any better. But I'm basing this on photos i took last visit,so fingers crossed the panels are smoothed out and possibly both sides look the same. Once the shells done its finding glass and rubbers for the rear side window. So it looks more period car and less mx5.
Old 20th July 2014, 22:59

Chris has has done an awesome job working with the donor car and flowing the lines in with the mx5 and out at the back into the boot lines. The balance of 1vev and 2vev suit the mx5 really well. Don't worry Chris i wont be selling it its the only car that I've been able to have input on the final product. Not many people can say that by the time they get to 33.
Old 20th July 2014, 23:10

Thing is i can only take so many photos and its usually towards the end of the visit and i have to rush home so i don't get caught in the traffic. Usual front back and sides. Lots of pics have bin traced ,adapted,sketched over, sent back to Chris to see what is and isn't possible with the donor . I think it was at a stage where the proportion and length were right.
Old 20th July 2014, 23:19

I think it will be a fine "tribute" to cars of that period that had character and curves. :-)
Old 20th July 2014, 23:30

jones is on a distinguished road

Now you are plainly just teasing us all! Sounds good though
Old 20th July 2014, 23:49

The shape has changed here and their but only to help strengthen the character of the car so theirs more definition of the period its depicting. It has been a long process but 1 tweak usually affects other lines so it has evolved as its gone but i think for the better. Depending how you look at it really as people have different tastes. Say if you look at some Ferrari concepts some looked quite basic and others looked more what the 599 looks like now. Some like say for example the ford mustang others like their cars like the Maserati grantourismo. Long and sleek less muscle car but still have a nice burble from the exhaust as a gt car on the back roads. Taking in the surroundings listening to some tunes. Enjoying the whole driving experience.
Old 23rd July 2014, 19:15

Had visit today at the workshop. Back end looks spot on. I don't have any pics but Chris said he would take some when theirs more room on the forecourt to get a good angle.
Old 25th July 2014, 20:08

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Lots of changes. Most of the body replaced or altered. The MX5 front panel (slam panel) has been a very limiting feature, but I am happy with the way the shape is growing:

Old 25th July 2014, 21:00

Comments very welcome. Please be honest and open.
Old 25th July 2014, 21:24

mx5teo@planet.nl is on a distinguished road
Default comment

Hi

I like what I see, but to make a correct judgement I would like
to see a picture square to the side, if possible.

thanks,
Old 25th July 2014, 22:01

Ollie is on a distinguished road

Looks a lot lot better... roofline great, back end excellent, front a lot lower looking, and Chris has already mentioned the slam panel limiting things...but..any chance of shortening the nose...?
Old 25th July 2014, 22:12

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Saw it when I was there. The rear end is good. The front is clearly work in progress. Looks good with nice stance
Old 25th July 2014, 22:28

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

From the side, for me at least, I think the bonnet overhangs the air intake mouth just a wee bit too much, giving it a droop-snoot look, which does not look as good as the rest of it, which is very nice.
If it was mine, I would want the air intake a little more vertical,
with less bonnet overhang.
Old 27th July 2014, 21:17

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

A few tweaks to the front end:

1. Taller ratio tyres, rim size unimportant.
2. Increased front wheel arch radius to give same clearance as rear arch
3. Open up rear edge of headlight recess opening and hence increase size of headlight cover, will reveal more of the side of the headlight and chrome ring if fitted.
4. Add protruding wheel arch lip, as before.
5. Add side marker light between headlight and arch.
Old 28th July 2014, 16:56

Hi Chris, a thought from the nutty one that keeps coming up with different ideas. What would the Alfa headlight covers look like just plonked over the panel as it is at the moment without it being cut up. Then a bm mini bezel to give it a nice frame from the front. That way it has the 3d look from the side from the Alfa cover and from the front has the space round the 7inch mini headlight.
Old 4th August 2014, 21:35

Bought some springs to bring it down a bit. Still got to sort out tyre and wheel combo but think it will help with proportions. Not sure what's going to happen with the front end . I took the kit the wrong direction with the overhang. Looked a stronger shape on page 5-7 of the thread gonna try and work back towards that . The wing may have to be level or slightly raised at the windscreen.
Old 11th August 2014, 16:12

After last weeks visit where Chris looked at me as if i had pulled a kittens head off (hadn't really) i had to make the difficult decision of asking if he could Change the front end to a shorter more perter shape. I've also bought some lowering springs to try and help the wheels sit further in the arches. I don't think he was very impressed. Really am sorry. I've sacrificed my wheels and lights for the build to be changed back to the near the pics on pages 5-7. Really,really sorry Chris.
Old 15th August 2014, 19:23

Bit confused. Could anyone explain what et10 means and if it means i need the arch/wing made wider. To compensate or do i need spacers to push the wheel away from the breaks and suspension.
Old 16th August 2014, 09:20

blueface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagmad View Post
Bit confused. Could anyone explain what et10 means and if it means i need the arch/wing made wider. To compensate or do i need spacers to push the wheel away from the breaks and suspension.
The smaller the number the further the wheel is pushed away from the car.
Old 16th August 2014, 10:06

So, brain just waking up. Does that mean the dish is deeper so where the wheel connects at the hub theirs less hanging over the breaks. I've got et37 for the front with rota rb's And looking at rota rbr's at the back et10. Are these measurements based on mm's or percentage of width. Each are 8inch in width.