Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 12th October 2011, 13:01

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I think the pressure is starting to show through!
Old 12th October 2011, 22:15

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho pops View Post
Whats happening in pic 3
i think its for "the ladies"
Old 19th October 2011, 08:09

Hi Gary, any more pics of the latest developments?
Old 19th October 2011, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redratbike View Post
Hi Gary, any more pics of the latest developments?
silly question as you are busy getting ready for the show..i'll wait for other peoples pics from the weekend as i cant make it down there
Old 20th October 2011, 18:30

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Orca lives !!
We have moulded a body with seperate doors but no headlight detail or bonnet aperture as of yet.......we just ran out of time.

The body is out of the mould and has been fitted to the Scimitar with wooden batons at present.

It is certainly good enough for people to see the finished concept.

She will be on display with doors and headlight covers taped in place....

We rolled her out today and she does look fantastic ....

Mike has done an incredible job shaping her up.

Now we need to sell a few !!

I will be offering them at the show and for a few days after at the website price but having done my sums ( and underestimating just how big they are to lay up ! ) they will have to be sold at £1695 for the body package , basic framework and headlight covers.....
Old 20th October 2011, 19:08

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

That still looks like great value compared to most kit packages Gary, I hope you get some interest and orders at Exeter. Long live Orca!
Old 20th October 2011, 19:36

THANKS ....

I am very pleased with just how the body fits...

We locate the rear by slotting it over the exhaust pipe tips....there is a mould scar on the rear valance , that when cut out with a hole saw or similar creates the holes to give the car valance exiting exhaust tips ...the body just drops into place.

We are offering a basic 'goalpost' frame - one across the rear bulkhead area ro support the body there and two at the front across under the dash ..this will brace and support the body as well as giving a mounting point for the steering column. These goalpost hoops are tied together along the cills with little outrigger style brackets to fit the doorstep down to...

The rest of the body location is done by fitting plywood or similar bulkheads , kick panels , cover panels etc. The Scimitar provides all flooring , tunnel etc.

I think these will be even easier to buld than a Spyder as the fuel tank location , floor , tunnel etc is all done for you....door hinges are to be external mini style ( think Herald bootlid ! ) screen will be D-type style , front and sides ....

The development example ( ORCA ) is being built for a French customer ...I will add a build thread to this forum in the next week or so , as it develops....
Old 20th October 2011, 20:26

i look forward to seeing her on Saturday! with all the hard work you've both put in and from what i saw "in progress" when i picked my Spyder shell up a few months ago, i think she'll look great!

Now as long as you can build one with minimal sanding and filling, i think i may have my next project already lined up
Old 21st October 2011, 17:21

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default Saw Orca this morning...

A very imposing car, real presence! I think tomorrow will see a lot of interest in all 3 models. These are such classic shapes and each car will have its own character, who ever goes have a great day.
Old 21st October 2011, 18:23

tooslow is on a distinguished road

Don't forget to post lots of pictures for those of us that can not make it.

Last edited by tooslow; 21st October 2011 at 21:25..
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:38

No pics i'm afraid, although i think Trevor may have taken some?

There is simply nothing like Orca out there although i think that due to the sheer size i would need a bigger garage to build her in! Talk about 'presence'! I can imagine hammering up the outside lane of a motorway, everyone will simply getting the heck out of the way

Seeing her next to the Spyder was cool as well as you can see the family resemblance, although the one thing i would say is that a Dick Dastardly mustache may be a necessity when driving as it does have an air of 'cad' about it. In the nicest possible sense
Old 22nd October 2011, 18:12

Patton is on a distinguished road

Ditto the word presence does sum it up, quite a machine piccy's don't do it justice, killer whale (orca) yep..Pat
Old 25th October 2011, 12:06

free scimitar buts its an se6 not sure if thats any good?

just found this ..nothing to do with me and its in Scotland so probably only worth someone up there grabbing it

Reliant Scimitar SE6 - Free to a good home For Sale (1976)

I have owned this vehicle since 1979. It was used as a family car continuously until 1995, since that time it has been laid up in my garage. It is complete undamaged and unmodified. Engine and running gear have not been exercised during layup. Recorded genuine mileage is 125000.

Advert Type: For Sale
Category: Classic Cars
Make: Reliant
Model: Scimitar SE6
Year: 1976
Region: Scotland
Town: Montrose
Telephone: 07043 241101 (Privacy Service)
E-mail: Contact Advertiser via Email
Listing Date: 01-Oct-2011
Old 25th October 2011, 19:17

Thanks for the praise chaps - We were a little upset we ran out of time to get the body as far as we would have like ...time beat us but I think most people 'got it' and could see where it was heading.

We have actually had a very good day on it today ...Mike has started fashioning headlights and I started the patterning for the frame work inside.

The frame will concentrate mainly on the cockpit area , supporting central body and dash area as well as big steel side steps tying both ends together and creating a strong seat belt mount position....front end will be possibly a flip front now as the process of reaching over the wings to get to an opening to work on the engine might be a bit awkward as the car is so fat ! A C-TYPE style flip front would sort that out ....rear of the car will be bonded / glassed to the original Scim. floor and inner arches.

heres the latest pics....

Old 26th October 2011, 15:24

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default We Dream Of Orca !!

My dad spoke to you last year when the Orca was "but a twink in your eye". Been following the web site and these forums and we both congratulate you for being imaginative, The G46 has to be the thinking man's Cobra!

Would have come to Exeter but decided to do this instead:
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0340.jpg

He he RIP SE5a
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0341.jpg

What does this need now ? Oh we know it needs a Sammio G46!

Chassis was done over the winter and re bracketed for a spare rover V8 we have in the garage. Car is on SORN and we hope we can change the engine details now on the Reg Doc and then simple
y but the body on and drive!

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0348.jpg

Hope to be the first V8 G46

Now how do we order?

Charlie & Peter.
Old 27th October 2011, 08:11

HI,
WELL IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE FAIRLY COMMITTED !!

Thank you for the comments and it looks like you are ready !

My local VRO ( Stuart ) tells me that you can change your engine without compromising your SVA exemption , within reason ....a V8 Rover will be fine - I think you may need to modify your bulkhead slightly but nothing too drastic.

I will pm you details of payment of deposit , order details etc.....

We took one definite order at the show for one of these , received confirmation from another show attendee that their cheque is on the way , have had consultations with a Spanish guy thats looking very positive and have had a dutch guy lurking in the wings for a while that I am pretty confident about and now yourselves...so its starting to happen !

I think I probably need to sell 10 to get my expenses back !

THANK YOU
Old 27th October 2011, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
HI,

We have had consultations with a Spanish guy thats looking very positive and have had a Dutch guy lurking in the wings for a while that I am pretty confident about and now yourselves...so its starting to happen !

I think I probably need to sell 10 to get my expenses back !

THANK YOU
Just checked my emails and its looking quite cool....lots of enquiries about the G46 ...It's interesting to see how many people lurk on here ...they have obviously read posts on this forum from the way they talk or ask questions etc...I have had a 'when can you start' email from Spain and Michael from Holland is starting to cut his car this weekend !

I'm surprised by the interest in this one compared to the 550 ....I thought that would be the popular one ( Porsche replica's are usually a safe bet )..I'm guessing the more exciting lines and base car are whats bring Orca to everyones attention...

Today I made my first pattern frame to create a jig ....this frame is a pattern and will not be how they are supplied - all frames are now being made by a local fabrication company ...I supply a pattern and they jig it and keep it as a measuring example ...

The picture is pretty cr*p and the extremely busy bench behind doesn't help , but basically its a double front hoop with steering column mount that goes across the front, a rear hoop with stays fitted to rear inner arches ( these will be fully glassed to new body , so nice and strong ) and front and rear tied together with folded cill steps and plates up the A and B posts that are tied into the hoops front and rear also...the centre of the body will be bolted around the door apertures , along rear cockpit and dash , bulkhead and body sides glassed to the Scim bulkhead and rear bulkhead , inner rear arches etc all will be bonded in ply to new body and existing...The body will still come off complete with floor/bulkhead etc. if needed...This is important for SVA exemption - a stock Scim body could go back on with no mods....

THIS WILL BE INCREDIBLY STRONG....

Second pic shows car with flip front started and the voids we need to fill with ply etc...

I am thinking that I may supply paper patterns for the front sections of ply and possibly rear inners and bulkhead ....

Old 27th October 2011, 20:27

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

Looking good and congratulations on the response. I hope that the G46 is a huge success for you.
Old 29th October 2011, 15:56

Thank you John.....The build concept is much the same as the original Spyder - it seems to have worked before.......

1950's styled car built pretty much how they were 50-60 years ago !!

We managed to get a bit done today ....

Although the progress shots aren't incredibly interesting and not many visual changes apparent , its all part of showing how we 'stage build' the cars....I know people fing the 'getting started' bit of the website useful - if nothing else it gets people into the correct mind set to build the cars on the level they are built ....low tech and low price !

We cut out the bulkhead pieces and glassed them in place...really stiffens up the car and fills those big gaps between original bulkhead and new body...the 'step' on top of the lower wing panel will house a latch or pin setup to locate the flip front whilst down.

Future bodies will be supplied with some of this bulkhead moulded onto the body to locate the car onto the Scim bulkhead....

second pic shows a new moulding taking shape ...

Patrice , the owner of this car has requested single tonneau and single screen for his example...we already offer the D-type STYLE centre bar as an option on the Spyders but have never really made a mould for it ....I have a feeling the bigger G46 might generate more requests for the centre divider , so Mike has started making a plug for a mould ...this piece can be used on eiither cars as , surprisingly , the Spyder and 46 are roughly the same cockpit length !

I think it looks really good ....and emulates the Jag that has had some influence on this car ..

THANKS FOR READING .....

Last edited by lancelot link; 31st October 2011 at 19:37..
Old 29th October 2011, 17:24

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Centrer Bar

Charlie and I are loving the centre bar, would it work with a full screen and a second head rest fairing.

What really looks cool is the photo of the "C" / "D" type with the single wrap around screen with the passenger side plug in place. But then we would have to build a car each, now that's an idea!!!!!!!!