Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 15th April 2016, 07:16

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306craig View Post
...Getting really annoyed with working on the drive and being restricted by the weather!!!!!!
I know what you mean, covers off, covers on, cover off, covers on, has been the theme of my build this week too.

Still, it looks like you are making good progress.

Quote:
… You wouldn't have a pic or 2 would you? …
There is a link to FatBloke's build thread towards the bottom of this post:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...5&postcount=14

And links to some other MX250 builds in this one:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...9&postcount=12

Hope that helps, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 15th April 2016 at 12:21.. Reason: Typo
Old 15th April 2016, 20:14

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hmmmm, now I'm not feeling so confident. You wouldn't have a pic or 2 would you?
Your kit was trimmed to fit the Mk2 shell, so you should only need to do some minor fettling. Here's some pics of it fitted to our stripped out Mk2 shell. Please ignore the wheels in the arches, the shell is sat on top of a Spitfire chassis:

Old 15th April 2016, 20:21

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Has anyone managed to use the MX5 bonnet and boot release / lock with the 250 kit
You can use the original MX5 boot latch as shown (this was a uk model so had no cable release). Fitting the external key is a great back up if the cable release fails.

You can also use the MX5 boot seal, you may need to do a little grinding to the rain gutter upstand to remove some thickness and height to allow the rubber to sit correctly.

Last edited by Tribute Automotive; 15th April 2016 at 20:30..
Old 17th April 2016, 20:09

306craig is on a distinguished road

Thanks Chris, I thought you had trimmed my kit ready to fit the Mk2. Thanks for the tips on the MX5 boot release too, I think I will be incorporating that idea.
Will be giving you a call early this week, see if my rear window is in stock yet?
Old 17th April 2016, 20:50

Default New Tribute member

An update following a full weekend on the car:

Got home Friday just after lunch, and of course it was raining!!!! Typical! Anyway it didn't last long, so I got the second inner wing extension fitted, front wheels on and the car off axle stands, got the front end 'placed' on. See pic 20. I have got to say I am happy with those wheels and the look! I set too and measured up and started cutting out for the headlight bowls. Not a bad Friday night. And to make it even better I sold my rear bumper! Result.

Up and at it early Saturday and came up with a good idea. Now the front end is on, why not concentrate on the rear end, get that ready for fitting, get the rear end on so that at I can get my garage back! See pic 24. So I stripped the back end, fuel cap off, fuel filler neck dropped out, aeriel removed, see pic 21. Then set about the rear suspension - shocks out, new springs fitted (30mm drop), springs back in, new set of anti roll bar drop links fitted (had to cut them off, rusted solid). Then a mate of mine turned up so off to the pub!!!!

Sunday - a little later starting due to last nights festivities. I started on the 'slight' rot to the rear drivers side sill, see pic 22. At least I managed to save the inner sill - see 23. Got it plated, just need to grind back the weld and fill the (many) holes before slapping on some underseal. A good weekends work.

The weather forecast is fairly good for this week so hoping to have the back end on by next weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (93.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 21.jpg (97.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (97.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 23.jpg (95.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 24.jpg (96.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 18th April 2016, 18:48

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

My apologies if I gave you any concerns. I didn't realise Chris had made a specific kit for the MK2. When I bought mine I had to quite a bit of "fettling" to make the Mk1 kit fit the MK2. The front is super low with the mods I had to make though ;-)
Old 18th April 2016, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
My apologies if I gave you any concerns. I didn't realise Chris had made a specific kit for the MK2. When I bought mine I had to quite a bit of "fettling" to make the Mk1 kit fit the MK2. The front is super low with the mods I had to make though ;-)
No worries mate. It was only after I went back to your original build thread I realised you were one of the first to build a Mk2. Chris did all the prep for mine before he shipped it. If mine turns out half as good as yours looks I will be happy.
Old 18th April 2016, 21:14

Annoying question for today - Any tips on wing mirrors? If I use the standard MX5 mounts, I make the base 70mm? Has any one found any that bolt from the outside with that foot print? Or are people welding up the existing holes and drilling out for a different base?

Thanks folks.
Old 18th April 2016, 22:18

ned is on a distinguished road

Hi check out Winguard door mirrors on ebay i got them for my GTO which is eunos based . They fit with selftappers and cover the hole under the mirror i will try to upload a photo for you ,enjoying your build Ned
Old 19th April 2016, 09:49

Smile New Tribute member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
Hi check out Winguard door mirrors on ebay i got them for my GTO which is eunos based . They fit with selftappers and cover the hole under the mirror i will try to upload a photo for you ,enjoying your build Ned
Thanks Ned, ordered a set. They will do the job rightly. Top hint, appreciated.
Old 19th April 2016, 15:27

This is what they look like on (if it uploads)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0309.jpg (85.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0310.jpg (84.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0311.jpg (85.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 19th April 2016, 15:32

i must remember to keep my feet on the floor when taking photos sorry
Old 19th April 2016, 15:37

jones is on a distinguished road

Ned - you should start your own thread and retrospectively add some photos and descriptions as you have done a great job and there aren't enough pics of your car on this forum!
Old 19th April 2016, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
This is what they look like on (if it uploads)
Cheers Ned. Top hint, really appreciate it. As I said, ordered some and on their way. Good pics too!!!!
Old 19th April 2016, 21:14

Quote:
Cheers Ned. Top hint, really appreciate it. As I said, ordered some and on their way. Good pics too!!!!
And wouldn't mind a look at your build thread either................... Link?
Old 19th April 2016, 21:19

Tonights update:

I have finished welding!!!!!!!!!! Praise be! I have come to the conclusion I hate Arc welding. I was using the old 'stick, stick, spit, spit, hole' method. If I am going to be doing any more of this sort of thing I am going to invest in a Mig!

Anyway, both sills repaired, arches rolled and rear spacers fitted.

Tonights annoying question - I don't think I flared the rear arches enough, I have 30mm to bond the back end to. Is that enough or would I be better cutting some steel and riveting / bonding that to the arches to give me a bigger surface to bond the back end to?
Old 19th April 2016, 22:10

jones is on a distinguished road

Congratulations 306craig on the welding! It's a massive pain but at least you caught it early and better than the day you go to bond the rear on your car, although you are moving much quicker than I am.

With regards to the rear wheel arches I took out 70mm from memory and only had a lip of 15mm left once both skins were spot welded together. The rear does not bond on there (quick disclaimer, this a) does not mean I did mine right b)mine is on a mk1 Eunos c) tribute I guess probably have evolved the design since I took delivery 18+ months ago)

Great progress and keen to see your future.

Good luck
Old 19th April 2016, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
Congratulations 306craig on the welding! It's a massive pain but at least you caught it early and better than the day you go to bond the rear on your car, although you are moving much quicker than I am.

With regards to the rear wheel arches I took out 70mm from memory and only had a lip of 15mm left once both skins were spot welded together. The rear does not bond on there (quick disclaimer, this a) does not mean I did mine right b)mine is on a mk1 Eunos c) tribute I guess probably have evolved the design since I took delivery 18+ months ago)

Great progress and keen to see your future.

Good luck
Thanks mate. Lucky to have no kids to have to 'entertain' and a Mrs who is very understanding! Sure you will get there with yours.
Old 20th April 2016, 22:13

Had a really good night tonight and took maximum advantage of the good weather. Rear wheels on, off the axle stands, roof off, roll cage in and bolted (see pic 25), rear end on for a trial fit (see pic 26), could have gone for wider spacers on the rear, but think it looks good. Somehow I have managed to get it wedged and now cant move it (so back on axle stands, hence the large wheel clearance), so need to give Chris a call tomorrow and get some advice.

Nice to have my garage back, well most of it anyway. As soon as I finish work on Friday I need to do a tip run and get rid of random bits of front wing, suspension struts and springs, roof etc (pic 28).

On the down side, the mx5 cover doesn't fit any more (pic 29) so need to invest in some heavy duty sheeting methinks!

All in all fairly happy with a few hours work tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25.jpg (100.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 26.jpg (97.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 28.jpg (100.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 29.jpg (96.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 21st April 2016, 15:20

5 minutes on the phone with Chris and we are sorted:

I need to do a bit of trimming on the wheel arch of the kit. The old Mk1 / Mk2 modification.

No worries with only 30mm of rolled arch, as i suspected a bit of steel (or Ally as Chris suggested) and then shape / rivet / screw to my hearts content.

Brill!