Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com
 

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:44
Bobnic Bobnic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 140
Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default Iva test passed!

22nd July will be forever etched on my memory as the day our Sportster passed its IVA at Vosa Bristol! Couple of close calls, but overall the guy was very fair. He never even picked up the spheres of doom, check about 3 points for radius, had a brief look at seat mountings etc, but again didn't get too bogged down with the prescribed tolerances/requirements. Had to bend over the ball joint washers on the front whilst there and re-align the headlights a bit, and disconnect and disable/remove (and then plug the holes with grommets) the 2 extra side repeaters that were 2 too many, one is all that is allowed apparently.

Then major brake testing, which looked pretty brutal, but passed with loads of extra in reserve, self centred ok, he was (dare I say it) very impressed with the quality of the kit, and the build we had put together.
Had the sound level checked, with revs at 5,500. Db Limit apparently is 99db, clocked in at 98.9, he even checked it twice, and read 98.8 second time! I kid you not!

So now just have the DVLA paperwork to sort (any help would be great fully received btw), and the M3 based Sportster is good to roar through the Cotswolds!

Thanks for all your help guys, without your tips/build diaries to follow, we would never have got to this momentous day!
Reply With Quote
Available from eBay
  #2  
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:50
NigelB NigelB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reading
Posts: 229
NigelB is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnic View Post
22nd July will be forever etched on my memory as the day our Sportster passed its IVA at Vosa Bristol! Couple of close calls, but overall the guy was very fair. He never even picked up the spheres of doom, check about 3 points for radius, had a brief look at seat mountings etc, but again didn't get too bogged down with the prescribed tolerances/requirements. Had to bend over the ball joint washers on the front whilst there and re-align the headlights a bit, and disconnect and disable/remove (and then plug the holes with grommets) the 2 extra side repeaters that were 2 too many, one is all that is allowed apparently.

Then major brake testing, which looked pretty brutal, but passed with loads of extra in reserve, self centred ok, he was (dare I say it) very impressed with the quality of the kit, and the build we had put together.
Had the sound level checked, with revs at 5,500. Db Limit apparently is 99db, clocked in at 98.9, he even checked it twice, and read 98.8 second time! I kid you not!

So now just have the DVLA paperwork to sort (any help would be great fully received btw), and the M3 based Sportster is good to roar through the Cotswolds!

Thanks for all your help guys, without your tips/build diaries to follow, we would never have got to this momentous day!
Congratulations Rob. That's great news. That's two Sportsters thru' IVA in a couple of months. If you need any help with the DVLA paperwork, let me know. All the detail are at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...-registrations. You have to fill in a V55/4 form, (and leave the majority of the boxes blank) and a V627/1 Built up vehicle inspection report. Apparently our cars are classed as "kit conversions" by the DVLA.

I found the process quite straight forward. I avoided Swansea, took all the required documents (as listed on the website above) to my local DVLA office at Theale, handed over the cash, and they did all that was needed. I booked an inspection with them for ten days later and trailered (WHY) the car there for a five minute inspection of the chassis number and engine number, which had both been checked already on the IVA. Four days later my registration number and authority to have plates made and tax disc arrived. There was no question of a "Q" plate once they had seen the original V5. So other than the ridiculous bureaucracy of it, it all went fairly smoothly.

So well done and congratulation again. I was in the Cotswolds in my Sportster at the weekend so maybe I'll bump into you (metaphorically!!) at some time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:59
Bobnic Bobnic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 140
Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi Nigel. Thanks. A hearty handshake over the interweb from a fellow successful builder! Do you live in the Cotswolds? I live in Lechlade (very near to Fairford, where the RIAT was this weekend, so had the red arrows flying over as a good luck charm). So happy, can't believe how open to interpretation the IVA test is, some things he seemed obsessed with, other bits he seemed completely dis-interested/nonchalant about, that to me seemed more important than the bits he thought were!
Still, a win's a win. I'll take the pass anyway it comes!
DVLA office is a good 1 hour away from us, so will be a trek there, then a mother trek with the trailer I fear, but it's the light at the end of the very long tunnel!

Cheers

Rob (and David, my dad, co-builder, the best swinger of the lump hammer!)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:09
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
Senior Member
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 2,457
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Default

fantastic news, well done!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:48
Bobnic Bobnic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 140
Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks Patrick. Now need to she'd a few IVA additions, and louvre the bonnet, as it was really struggling to keep temperature on the way back, mind you it was the same temperature as the core of the sun this afternoon! Your's and other builder's diaries have been so helpful, and inspirational. Still think the Sportster is the finest looking self build out there, proud to be one amongst your number!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:02
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
Senior Member
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 2,457
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks had temp problems myself. I added louvres but also a big aluminium radiator and a 16" fan - I don't have any issues at all now even in the sort of weather were having now. The rad and the fan have made the biggest difference.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24th July 2013, 08:56
Chris Cussen's Avatar
Chris Cussen Chris Cussen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerset
Posts: 518
Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road
Default

Well done!
I don't know where you will go for registration, but beware in Bristol! First of all you have to trailer the car there (goodness knows why as you can drive it to the IVA test). DVLA in Bristol is in a cul-de-sac, AND there are only single rows of car parking spaces, so if you haven't towed before its a nightmare!

Furthermore the inspection is redundant, as it checks only what is on your IVA form!

Next, in Bristol there is one guy (at least back in 2009) who, regardless of the evidence thinks all kit cars should be Q plated. You MUST ask what the registration mark will be, have loads of evidence it should be non-Q (i.e. old log book, build photos etc.) and stick to your guns. I had to get him to finally go onto DVLA's own website and argue the toss with him.

Further more DVLA don't seem to be the most efficient organisation. They first issued my logbook to a random address in Lancashire (I live in Somerset), The next attempt described the car as a Sierra 5 door hatchback in blue (actually Marlin Carbrio in green), then next attempt has nearly everything right except the chassis had some digits transposed. Otherwise it was a really good service!

Last edited by Chris Cussen; 24th July 2013 at 08:57.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24th July 2013, 09:20
Bobnic Bobnic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 140
Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cussen View Post
Well done!
I don't know where you will go for registration, but beware in Bristol! First of all you have to trailer the car there (goodness knows why as you can drive it to the IVA test). DVLA in Bristol is in a cul-de-sac, AND there are only single rows of car parking spaces, so if you haven't towed before its a nightmare!

Furthermore the inspection is redundant, as it checks only what is on your IVA form!

Next, in Bristol there is one guy (at least back in 2009) who, regardless of the evidence thinks all kit cars should be Q plated. You MUST ask what the registration mark will be, have loads of evidence it should be non-Q (i.e. old log book, build photos etc.) and stick to your guns. I had to get him to finally go onto DVLA's own website and argue the toss with him.

Further more DVLA don't seem to be the most efficient organisation. They first issued my logbook to a random address in Lancashire (I live in Somerset), The next attempt described the car as a Sierra 5 door hatchback in blue (actually Marlin Carbrio in green), then next attempt has nearly everything right except the chassis had some digits transposed. Otherwise it was a really good service!
Hi Chris. Thanks. Have phoned the DVLA, and guess what 'The rules have changed'. They now say send all the paperwork to Swansea by post, they will then forward it to my 'local' office, which is Oxord in my case, who will then contact me with a appointment! Queried this many times, and kept getting the same advice! So hopefully they are giving the correct advice now. Have a sinking feeling they don't know their A from their E, and frustratingly, can't seem to fine a contact number for the local Oxford office, so I can call them direct!
Watch this space.... Might have plates before the summer is over....

Cheers

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24th July 2013, 10:04
NigelB NigelB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reading
Posts: 229
NigelB is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnic View Post
Hi Chris. Thanks. Have phoned the DVLA, and guess what 'The rules have changed'. They now say send all the paperwork to Swansea by post, they will then forward it to my 'local' office, which is Oxord in my case, who will then contact me with a appointment! Queried this many times, and kept getting the same advice! So hopefully they are giving the correct advice now. Have a sinking feeling they don't know their A from their E, and frustratingly, can't seem to fine a contact number for the local Oxford office, so I can call them direct!
Watch this space.... Might have plates before the summer is over....

Cheers

Rob
Hi Rob, Of course you won't get a number for your local DVLA office. Do you really think they want to actually talk to the people they are there to serve as public servants........................!! Not if they can help it. It costs too much. Digital by Default is the latest policy. No human interaction whatsoever and that appears to be the way they like it. But that's probably just the cynic inside me coming out!!

I had a completely different story regarding registration of our "kit conversions" from DVLA in Swansea. The first person I spoke to said the vehicle didn't need to be inspected at all. Just send in all the paperwork with your payment and we will issue a registration number and tax disc. The second person said that of course it needed to be inspected and that my only option was a "Q" plate. That's when I gathered together all my documentation and went to my local office. And despite my protestations above, once I got face to face with them they were very helpful, checked all my docs, gave me an appointment for an inspection and a local contact number if I had any further queries. And armed with the original donor V5, they confirmed right there that I would get an age related plate.

I know it's a pain having to make two separate trips to the local DVLA office and that it's a fair old distance for you, but from my experience it is well worth doing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24th July 2013, 11:32
Bobnic Bobnic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 140
Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
Hi Rob, Of course you won't get a number for your local DVLA office. Do you really think they want to actually talk to the people they are there to serve as public servants........................!! Not if they can help it. It costs too much. Digital by Default is the latest policy. No human interaction whatsoever and that appears to be the way they like it. But that's probably just the cynic inside me coming out!!

I had a completely different story regarding registration of our "kit conversions" from DVLA in Swansea. The first person I spoke to said the vehicle didn't need to be inspected at all. Just send in all the paperwork with your payment and we will issue a registration number and tax disc. The second person said that of course it needed to be inspected and that my only option was a "Q" plate. That's when I gathered together all my documentation and went to my local office. And despite my protestations above, once I got face to face with them they were very helpful, checked all my docs, gave me an appointment for an inspection and a local contact number if I had any further queries. And armed with the original donor V5, they confirmed right there that I would get an age related plate.

I know it's a pain having to make two separate trips to the local DVLA office and that it's a fair old distance for you, but from my experience it is well worth doing.
Just off go to the Oxford DVLA office, with more paperwork than has been produced by the print media since the new royal baby arrived! Hopefully will come back victorious. Will let you know....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24th July 2013, 13:32
MartinClan's Avatar
MartinClan MartinClan is offline
Senior Member
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,775
MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default

I suspect some of these problems and "rule changes" are because the Government is slowly closing all the local DVLA offices. I think many of the smaller ones have already gone.

Who knows - it might mean that long term we no longer have to take the vehicle to be inspected by the DVLA as well as Vosa. Or - it might mean we all have to go to Swansea.... (tongue in cheek - I hope)

Robin
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24th July 2013, 14:11
Bobnic Bobnic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 140
Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I suspect some of these problems and "rule changes" are because the Government is slowly closing all the local DVLA offices. I think many of the smaller ones have already gone.

Who knows - it might mean that long term we no longer have to take the vehicle to be inspected by the DVLA as well as Vosa. Or - it might mean we all have to go to Swansea.... (tongue in cheek - I hope)

Robin
Been down. They looked over the paperwork for around 15 minutes. Relieved us of 270, said they would send it to Swansea. No mention of an inspection. The Oxford office is due for closure on October. Then all will have to go through the faceless elecrto-maze of Swansea office! Glad we got in before that!

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24th July 2013, 15:06
chrislandy chrislandy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 383
chrislandy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnic View Post
Been down. They looked over the paperwork for around 15 minutes. Relieved us of 270, said they would send it to Swansea. No mention of an inspection. The Oxford office is due for closure on October. Then all will have to go through the faceless elecrto-maze of Swansea office! Glad we got in before that!

Rob
What a sad day this is when the local office closes, they'll probably all be phased out over the next few years You won't even be able to talk to them soon if it carries on like this
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24th July 2013, 18:49
denniswpearce denniswpearce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 287
denniswpearce is on a distinguished road
Default

To find the Oxford local office, its go to DVLA, then find local office, then offices in England, go to Oxford.
They show a picture of the office which is on the ground floor and its Cambridge Terrace, Oxford OX1 1RW. They give a number of 0300 790 6802 and they say that you will be put through to Swansea first. Presumably you ask to speak to the Oxford. Been there myself and they have a ticket system and you wait for them to call your number.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24th July 2013, 22:29
Bobnic Bobnic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 140
Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswpearce View Post
To find the Oxford local office, its go to DVLA, then find local office, then offices in England, go to Oxford.
They show a picture of the office which is on the ground floor and its Cambridge Terrace, Oxford OX1 1RW. They give a number of 0300 790 6802 and they say that you will be put through to Swansea first. Presumably you ask to speak to the Oxford. Been there myself and they have a ticket system and you wait for them to call your number.
Hi Dennis. Got there and back fine today, never thought to ask if I could be put through to the Oxford office, not sure if they would patch you through or not!! Only took 15 or so minutes, they took the money, kept some documents, copied others, stamped it, and said they would send it off to Swansea 'for processing'. Hopefully not too long for the tax disc and number plate authorisation to arrive, fitted the screen tonight, so want it to be fully weatherproof and road legal asap!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 24th July 2013, 23:06
NigelB NigelB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reading
Posts: 229
NigelB is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnic View Post
Hi Dennis. Got there and back fine today, never thought to ask if I could be put through to the Oxford office, not sure if they would patch you through or not!! Only took 15 or so minutes, they took the money, kept some documents, copied others, stamped it, and said they would send it off to Swansea 'for processing'. Hopefully not too long for the tax disc and number plate authorisation to arrive, fitted the screen tonight, so want it to be fully weatherproof and road legal asap!!
Rob,

It'll be really interesting to hear whether you manage to get it registered without having to do the 5 minute DVLA inspection.......................

Perhaps it's a postcode lottery for vehicle registration as well

N.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24th July 2013, 23:12
Bobnic Bobnic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 140
Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
Rob,

It'll be really interesting to hear whether you manage to get it registered without having to do the 5 minute DVLA inspection.......................

Perhaps it's a postcode lottery for vehicle registration as well

N.
I get the feeling it is!! They were very efficient at the desk, but just kept saying it was to be processed by Swansea, and wouldn't elaborate on what the next step would be! I am praying I shall just get the tax disc and plate paperwork through the post. If so this may be the 'New Way'. Really can't get my head around trailering an IVA'd car 45 miles to a place with no car park, for somebody to look at it.....

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25th July 2013, 22:08
GreatOldOne's Avatar
GreatOldOne GreatOldOne is offline
Senior Member
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northampton, UK
Posts: 1,886
GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default

Belated congrats!

Only just seen this, as I'm deepest Pembrokeshire, and the 3G is a bit spotty...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 25th July 2013, 23:27
Bobnic Bobnic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 140
Bobnic is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Belated congrats!

Only just seen this, as I'm deepest Pembrokeshire, and the 3G is a bit spotty...
Thanks Goo. Will see you at Stoneleigh next year hopefully. Just fitting the screen, wipers and hood, and awaiting tax disc and Reg plate authorisation. No mention of an inspection of the car, (as yet). Then it'll be time to test the country roads out!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 28th July 2013, 12:21
Mike Mike is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 926
Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Congratulations

Hi Rob - and dad!

Congratulations - you kept that all very quiet.

How about some of those promised photos?

As a recent recruit to the MOC committee, where I would like to encourage greater use and more interest in the Forum, could I beg a favour, and ask you to post a thread on your success, and experience of IVA, on the MOC Forum?

Regards

Mike
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 04:10.

copyright madabout-kitcars.com 2000-2020
terms and conditions | privacy policy