Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 23rd June 2004, 19:00
Kit Car Dreamer

leecronin is on a distinguished road
Default which kit car to build - thinking of the 5exi

Hi,

I am new to kit-cars but am very impressed with the 5exi and think that I am going to go for this but I have a couple of general questions that I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with before join you all as a builder!:

(1) How do I chose the exact components? - I was justing thinking of getting the three kits - probably going for a 1.6 engine but trying to faithfully get the *EXACT* parts to reduce stress due to my lack of experience.

(2) Also, I was thinking of getting all new / re-conditioned parts - but can this be done cheaply?

(3) Is there anything anyone would do differently at this stage knowing you all know now? I have read the posts and gained some value info already....

Thanks!

Lee
Available from eBay
Old 24th June 2004, 11:19
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Welcome Lee

To ease the stress as you put it, the correct donor that should give you all the parts (just as Marlin designed it) is a 1.6 lt Rover 200/25 model from 95 - pres. In addition you will need a set of rear discs, callipers and handbrake cable.

There are other ways.

There are a couple of companies that can supply just the bits you require. One I found was Viking spares, the other Rover parts. Both advertise in Kit Car.

My original thoughts on my build were to buy the bits from Rover parts as I wanted to fit a 1.8vvc engine. They quoted me £1200 for a 3k mile engine from a Rover 200 BRM (145bhp) complete with the engine loom and ancilleries. The rest of the components then came to around £300. All prices + vat. Disadvantage is cost and you only get exactly what you ask for. Advantage is engine & bits have some guarantee.

My budget changed my mind for me though. I ended up getting a 400 complete and a few other bits (rover 200/25 rear hubs, metro rack, rear callipers etc) for £300 cash. The advantage of this was getting lots of odds & sods that I may or may not use. I have them just in case though. The disadvantage was not getting a radiator (front end crash) and that some bits are not interchangeable with Rover 200 parts.

If I did it again I would wait until I could find a complete Rover 200/25 in a scrappy and buy that.

As for sourcing new parts. I didn't consider it.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 7th July 2004, 20:22

Tim is on a distinguished road
Default Rover parts

I had great help from Andy at Rover Breakers (see roverbreakers.com as opposed to roverbreaker!) I was thinking of buying the bits from him sepaarately but he found me an accident damaged (rear ended) 218 vvc which had already had its leather insides stripped - he even threw in 2 extra rear hubs. And his interested in kit cars and he can discuss what you want rather than the wotsat then geezer approach of most breakers. And he only deals in late models.

give him a go!