Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 1st October 2011, 15:23

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjroms View Post
Mister Towed,

How are you getting-on with that main rail corrosion? It looks very similar to my problems and a couple of sessions with a local welder got me back on track.

I used my Sammio frame, bolted into place, as a jig before cutting out any of the corrosion in the main rails.

Chris
Thanks for asking, Chris.

Today, I have mostly been uncovering more chassis woes as in WHOA! What the blinking flip was holding that back wheel on?

Bear in mind this Vitesse was sold to me as practically mot ready...

Starting to peel back the 'repairs'

Hmm, on closer inspection

And once all the layers of 'puff pastry' tinplate are off...

Will be spending a few quid on new parts from Canleys I feel.
Old 1st October 2011, 16:33

davecymru is on a distinguished road

i wouldn't worry, that'll polish out!
Old 1st October 2011, 16:56

cbjroms is on a distinguished road

Before you spend any money with Canleys may I recommend that you speak to Bill at Rarebits4Classics. He is extremely knowledgeable about Triumphs and has helped me find the best places to get particular parts as some sources are definitely better than others.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:32

Thanks Chris, I'll give them a go.

The chassis rails I need to replace aren't expensive at about twenty five quid a throw so I'm not looking at too much of a hit.

My main concern is will I be able to weld them on straight? Could introduce some 'interesting' handling challenges if I misalign them.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:52

mulberry is on a distinguished road

heck, the metal worm has been busy, you can buy new out riggers from rimmer bros.....GOOD LUCK
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:48

Yep, at least I can boast a genuiely 'lightweight' chassis at the moment. Colin Chapman would be proud.
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:08

Patton is on a distinguished road

Good grief! I feel for you I thought my herald was a pig (part restored) but at least my chassis was solid the engine needed putting back together and bits making some throttle linkage fuel pump but it came with gaskets which was a bonus. Can't see to much in the piccy's but I do have spare either side front out riggers and a centre out rigger if it helps.... Pat
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:52

Thanks for the offer of the chassis bits Pat, but I've just this second placed an order with Canleys for all the bits I need just before going back on this site.

I didn't really have the time to shop around other than on the net but Canleys prices are pretty competitive anyway. I've ordered a rear outrigger, a side rail and a front outrigger for the driver's side (as that's pretty rotten too) and each part is under £25 inc vat, which is about 2/3 of what Rimmers charge (although Rimmers are cheaper for some other parts).

The trouble with shopping for essential parts is that one or two other items tend to slip into the basket when you're not paying attention: like a fibreglass gearbox cover and a set of 'blue' polybushes on this occasion, which bunped up the total a bit.

Still, I'll end up with a much better car in the long run and I can't wait to get it on the road.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:43

Spent a couple of hours today removing the sump that was piddling oil past its gasket.

Thankfully no stray nuts 'n' bolts fell out of the engine while the sump was off and everything looks squeaky clean inside.

Once I'd shaved the remnants of the old gasket from the mating surfaces I fitted a new one, sealing it in with blue hylomar sealant, wonderful stuff that really does the job imho, although I inevitably ended up with more hylomar on my fingers than on the gasket. But so long as it fixes the oil leak I just don't care.

The new chassis bits from Canleys turned up today too. I placed the order on Sunday and the parts arrived on Tuesday: great service as far as I am concerned.

Aiming to get some 'blasting done tomorrow and then teach myself to weld.

Might be worth staying away from West Norfolk over the next few days in case of power outages...
Old 4th October 2011, 19:30

Thorry everyone, but the trouble with hylomar ith that it'th theriouthly thticky thtuff. Tho thticky in fact that it'th thtill thtuck all over my fingerth and I've managed to get the 'eth' key thtuck down on my computer keyboard.

I'll have to thee if there'th thomething under the think that can unthtick it thoon or I'll really be in the thhit when I try to potht replieth to peopleth Thammio thpyder build entrieth.

Normal thervice will be rethumed ath thoon ath poththible.
Old 4th October 2011, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
then teach myself to weld.
tuperb! good luck!
Old 4th October 2011, 20:08

Thankth.
Old 5th October 2011, 18:48

Well, it was howling a gale outside today but I've reassembled my blasting/spraying booth inside my garage so I was as snug as a bug in a rug (whatever that means).

CALL ME 'DEXTER'...

I got a lot more of the chassis blasted back to bare metal today. It's a slow process though, primarily because of the copious quantities of black bitumen underseal gummed all over the place.

I've now taken to doing a couple of minutes blasting followed by a couple of minutes power-drill wire brushing the bitumen. The wire brush doesn't remove it, but it spreads it out thin and heats it up while the compressor gets the blasting pot back up to maximum pressure. Once it's warm and thin the blaster will then strip it off in a few seconds rather than taking ages.

I'm sure a pro' blasting rig wouldn't struggle with the bitumen but my amateur setup is doing the job without causing any unnecessary damage. It's slow 'n' gentle rather than fast and indiscriminate. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

A few more holes have appeared in the chassis today, but they really don't look quite so daunting now and I'm going to have a crack at welding everything up myself. Won't be for a while though as I reckon there's at least another full days' blasting to be done tomorrow, then it's back to work again.
Old 6th October 2011, 18:52

Carried on with the chassis blasting today in my Dexter tent. Once I'd finished the top a quick flip with the block'n'tackle revealed the underside which looks to be in pretty good condition. There are a few repairs but these appear to be of a far higher standard than the tacked on tinplate on the outriggers.

The front of the chassis turned out to be like new under the thick coating of engine oil and dirt and blasting the underside took only half the time of the top surfaces.

Last job of the day was to give the good bits of the chassis a once over with red hammerite (not much point in painting the bits I'm going to replace), chosen because it was on special at half price, only a tenner a litre at Halfords. Methinks it's starting to look not half bad.

Back to work tomorrow so plenty of time for the paint to dry before any further progress.
Old 6th October 2011, 18:57

Patton is on a distinguished road

Looking good, feels good to when progress can be seen as well...PAT
Old 6th October 2011, 19:06

Thanks Pat, you're absolutely right. Although it's taking far longer and costing a fair bit more than I'd anticipated there is a real sense of achievement in breathing new life into a tired old jalopy.

Once my spyder is on the road I'll be able to honestly say 'all my own work'.
Old 7th October 2011, 07:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
..... it's taking far longer and costing a fair bit more than I'd anticipated there is a real sense of achievement in breathing new life into a tired old jalopy.

Once my spyder is on the road I'll be able to honestly say 'all my own work'.
Snap on both accounts!

In some ways i wish i'd stripped and blasted the chassis right the way back the way you are doing yours, but the top of mine was solid and the patches underneath i plan on looking at in detail once it's all done as long as they get through the MOT. Fingers crossed there aren't any more surprises for you!
Old 9th October 2011, 06:29

Anyone looking for a cheap donor?

Take a look at this but be quick, it ends today!

If it doesn't sell you could always contact the seller and make an offer...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1968-trium...item27bedac685
Old 9th October 2011, 08:58

mulberry is on a distinguished road

found a cheap engine for that donor car....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Sp...item3a6aeaafe7
Old 9th October 2011, 15:48

Hmmm, tempting.

I fear it may possibly be a bit peaky for road use though. Think I'll stick with my straight six.