Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 15th March 2012, 20:26

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

How have you tackled the seat belt mounts?

I'm wanting to ditch the standard brackets and reposition them somewhere else and I'm open to ideas.
Old 15th March 2012, 21:00

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Mr T, I am going to use the standard 3-point belts (due to current budget constraints) and so will use the top one that Gary has already welded on, and then I have added the two lower ones on like the photos below.

My chassis is a 1964 Mk1 so it does not have the inner seat belt mounts so I have had to make some up with 50mmx5mm flat bar. I will weld nuts on the back of them before the body goes on, so the belts can all be removed from the inside with a single spanner. Another factor was that I wanted to have a tonneau cover so I didn't want them above the cockpit line like Davecymru's (although I do like the look of them!)

IMG_0878x450.jpg

IMG_0879x450.jpg
Old 15th March 2012, 21:20

Looking nice. Methinks I'll be doing something similar as I'm sticking with three point belts myself and I think the standard chassis belt mounts will be too far forward for my MGB seats.

I'm also having a tonneau cover, WHEN IT BLOODY ARRIVES?????

Sorry, but I placed the order and paid before Christmas and I still don't have it. Gary, are you there?
Old 15th March 2012, 22:13

I am going to build my own seats

Well that's the plan until it all goes wrong. I really like the look of this one and so that is what i want to do. My seat back will hinge forwards to gain access to the luggage compartment.

IMG_0618.JPG

I am intending to glue various layers of foam and shape them with a leccy carving knife and then get 'er indoors to make the covers. She did a good job on the Herald ones 3 years ago!

I would love it to turn out like this, but methinks it won't quite be up to this standard!!

2218256419_71a574ff79.jpg

PS I am seeing Gary on Saturday so I will see where your Tonneau cover is!
Old 17th March 2012, 20:14

Quick update while I have a beer!

I have been painting the engine bits this week in the evenings and last night I built up the engine in the garage, and dropped it into the frame this morning!

IMG_0892x450.jpg

I then had a go at lowering my standard Vitesse radiator, inspired by Davecmyri (thanks Dave! )

IMG_0896x450.jpg

Having got on so well today and with no rain (which contradicted the forecast somewhat) I decided to have a go at recessing the bulkhead for the larger wheels/tyres. I wanted to try and keep it looking pretty standard, and so I opted to cut and weld the recess as opposed to just hitting it with a large hammer (although the latter would have probably had a similer effect, and a lot quicker!)

Anyway, this is where I ended up.

IMG_0901x450.jpg

IMG_0903x450.jpg

I also welded up a couple of other holes in the bulkehead and have given it a coat of chassis black. Will give it another coat tomorrow and start on boarding out the luggage bay
Old 17th March 2012, 21:36

Coming along nicely, won't be long before it's roadworthy!
Old 17th March 2012, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Coming along nicely, won't be long before it's roadworthy!
I am having to pace myself due to funds not allowing me a quick build. I had planned a four month project, so I am at 8 weeks at the moment, and about halfway through.

Need to start thinking about the body on and getting it registered, although I will probably do that after easter. I want to get the wiring and heater sorted first before I put the body on!
Old 18th March 2012, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrtone View Post
I am having to pace myself due to funds not allowing me a quick build. I had planned a four month project, so I am at 8 weeks at the moment, and about halfway through.

Need to start thinking about the body on and getting it registered, although I will probably do that after easter. I want to get the wiring and heater sorted first before I put the body on!
Sounds familiar. It's not so much the funding holding my build back - although I blew my original budget of £3k out of the water a long time ago now I have already bought just about everything I need to finish the job apart from the paint and associated materials.

For me it's the time it's taken to get the chassis and bulkhead ready for the road. I rather unfortunately made the mistake of buying a donor with a solid body and rotten chassis, completely the opposite of what you want, but at least I now know that everything's solid underneath.

My original deadline was mid January. Hmm, now looking at early June although the next stages, fitting the frame, floor and body do appear to be relatively quick jobs judging by the speed of some people's builds who started with a better base car.

Trouble with me is that, where engineering is concerned, I'm a bit of a perfectionist I'm afraid. My original plan of chucking a fun car together quickly is turning into a major detailing exercise. The reality is that I want this car to be as good as I can get it so I can enjoy it for years to come.

From what I've seen of your car so far we seem to share the same philosophy and I'm looking forward to seeing your finished car on the road.

Carry on Sammio(ing).
Old 18th March 2012, 18:12

I managed to get the bulkhead finished and I am pleased with the results so far.

IMG_0917x450.jpg

IMG_0929x450.jpg

IMG_0935x450.jpg
Old 18th March 2012, 18:17

And I also got my luggage box finished. 18mm ply left over from the 8x4 sheet I got for the floorpans.

I sealed all the edges and then painted fibreglass resin all over inside and out with some fibreglass tape on the edges for additional strength. The boards are bolted to the frame with RivNuts, so should hold anything we are likely to put in there! I then covered the outside with chassis black to give it even more waterproofing!

IMG_0918x450.jpg

IMG_0924x450.jpg

IMG_0923x450.jpg
Old 18th March 2012, 18:30

Quote:
Trouble with me is that, where engineering is concerned, I'm a bit of a perfectionist I'm afraid. My original plan of chucking a fun car together quickly is turning into a major detailing exercise. The reality is that I want this car to be as good as I can get it so I can enjoy it for years to come.
You are right Mr T, and I am the same, but I do know that when you are restoring rather than building a completely new car (ie a new "kit car" for example) you should be realistic and practical. I am building mine to enjoy, and have done everything I can think of to enjoy it (not repair/replace things every other week) for a long time hopefully.

I know that some things could be better, but then again, everything falls into that category, even the professional builders don't get it all right!

I really enjoy the build process, but can't sit and look at things for too long, I just have to get on and do it. I do a lot of 'planning' in my head, and on paper, and a lot of research, so when I embark on it, it ends up being straightfoward!

Anyway, I look forward to parking our Sammio's next to each other later this year then!
Old 18th March 2012, 18:38

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Your engine is looking really good! It almost makes me want to take mine apart and start overhauling it now. almost.....
Old 18th March 2012, 19:56

Wow, that luggage compartment is looking fab. Will be hoping to achieve a similar standard myself.

Despite doing the dutiful shopping exped today with it being mothering Sunday and all I did manage a little progress myself...
Old 18th March 2012, 19:59

cbjroms is on a distinguished road

What paint have you used on the manifold and block - it looks really good.

Chris
Old 18th March 2012, 20:03

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1208488948...84.m1439.l2649

Just some black gloss engine enamel Chris.
Cleaned everything else up. I didn't want a multicoloured engine bay, I am not after a show winner, just clean and tidy and period looking.

A gallon of unleaded petrol and a paint brush one evening got everything clean!! Just had to keep the daughter out the garage as she smokes!
Old 25th March 2012, 11:07

Not working on the spyder this weekend but enjoying some R&R in France.

Last edited by tlrtone; 31st March 2012 at 19:22..
Old 25th March 2012, 11:16

Very nice. Would look even better viewed over the bonnet of a Spyder...
Old 25th March 2012, 14:02

Quote:
Very nice. Would look even better viewed over the bonnet of a Spyder...
I know what you mean. The roads are lovely here.

Last edited by tlrtone; 31st March 2012 at 19:22..
Old 25th March 2012, 14:31

Wow, just add Sammio, metal framed designer sunglasses and Matt Monro singing 'On days like these' playing on the wireless for my idea of heaven. Just watch out for the bulldozer at the end of the tunnel.
Old 25th March 2012, 16:38

The 1958 Rocker is on a distinguished road
Default Folding seat

Hi Tony,
regards your seat idea, excellent, that's what I want to do. Just be aware that there is a regulation in the MOT testers manual about folding seat that must lock in the up right position. The standard Heral seat just has a spring clip arrangement that supposedly keeps the seat from moving forwad. I would say there would be no nood for some complicated locking mechanism just something simple that stops the backrest flopping foreward. Of course if you are that way inclined you could use something like a simple bonnet catch type affair, which if you had a plain black knob cable like an aftermarket choke cable to release it, it would keep the back up and keep it locked so any potential thief would not know the seat folded. just an idea