Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 3rd October 2005, 14:51

richardh is on a distinguished road
Default Safety?

So my wife is still sceptical (all her family have driven Saab's for the last 15 years for their solidity and silence!)

How crash safe are these kit cars? I assume monocoque is safer than space frame? From looking at the chassis pics I'd assume similar construction and hence strength to a 1960's MG or similar.

You see my wife was happy when I used to drive a 1957 Morris Minor and doesn't think anything odd about a friends MGB, but she thinks a kit car is a death trap.

Discuss!
Available from eBay
Old 3rd October 2005, 17:18
Enthusiast

Ferg is on a distinguished road

Re-marry.
Old 3rd October 2005, 19:19

Strolls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg
Re-marry.
Dead right. And when you've done so read The Kit Car Manual (Haynes) by Iain Ayre.

He claims that a kit car is likely to be largely unscathed in an accident with a production car, which'll more likely be written off.

I'm not an experienced kit car builder so am unqualified to judge the accuracy of his statements, but I hope you find the reference useful.

Stroller.
Old 5th October 2005, 12:40
Enthusiast

vojx is on a distinguished road

Crash 'n' burn man (I had a petrol tank in the front of mine).

The safety of modern cars is higher than kitcars - no kitcar manufacturer can crash test sufficiently, all he can do is estimate.

Low speed/ low energy crash, tintop or kitcar - you survive.
High speed/ high energy crash, tintop or kitcar - you die.

Always best to avoid accidents.
Old 6th October 2005, 09:03
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

You've got to remember as well that the majority of kits are replicas (7's, cobras) so they are working in the confines of the original design.

Back then safety wasn't a top consideration so it stands to reason that they won't stand up so well in 'some types' of accident. I always felt vulnerable from the side for instance in the cobra. Take a 7 type car and a large 4x4 and you could probably kiss goodbye to your head if they came together in a certain way

It all depends on the accident I guess as to how you would come through it.

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Old 6th October 2005, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
You've got to remember as well that the majority of kits are replicas (7's, cobras) so they are working in the confines of the original design.
Madabout-Kitcars.com
Was thinking of more modern original cars rather than replicas. Ie the 5exi or Libra Spyder.

Incidentally I saw somewhere that Libra are going for EEC TUV approval - does this mean stricter standards closer to a normal production car?
Old 6th October 2005, 17:53
Enthusiast

Both the Spyder and Libra are now fitted with a door intrusion bar I believe.
Old 6th October 2005, 18:18
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

I personally wouldn't buy a kit car if I was concerned over how it might behave in an accident. You just couldn't tell but would have to make a judgement call based on what you see in front of you.

I was going to see how TVR do in the NCAP ratings and take that as a guide but they don't appear to be listed.

I wouldn't have thought the likes of a Libra or 5exi would get any more than a 2 or 3 NCAP star rating, that's based on no factual basis at all, just a hunch and no amount of 'crumple zones' or 'side impact' protection bars a manufacturer might say their car has are going to be of any real use unless they can prove it's worthiness by doing various crash tests. ie a side bar might be there but is it strong enough? is it positioned right so as to not give you more of an injury than if it was not there in the first place. A manufacturer cannot matter of factly say this unless he can provide actual real life evidence.

If I wanted a safe car though I would go for a 5 star NCAP rated one. If I wanted incredible fun and driving pleasure on a budget I can afford and drive around in a beautiful car (ie cobra) then I would buy a kit car. I don't think the 2 go together and probably never will.

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Old 6th October 2005, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
If I wanted a safe car though I would go for a 5 star NCAP rated one. If I wanted incredible fun and driving pleasure on a budget I can afford and drive around in a beautiful car (ie cobra) then I would buy a kit car. I don't think the 2 go together and probably never will.
Couldn't agree more - its good to air the discussion, review the arguments.
Old 6th October 2005, 20:00
Enthusiast

Dan is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't have thought any kit car is likely to get any stars at all in the NCAP tests.
Old 8th October 2005, 08:21
Enthusiast

I'm not sure about NCAP, but the Libra was definately designed with front impact in mind as displayed under the front clamshell. I also have photos of a fairly major (total write off, high speed) accident in which it faired quite well. Thing is, you can crash in a World Rally Car with a substantial roill cage, bucket seats and harnesses and still die..........