Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 8th February 2019, 20:44

Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by molleur View Post
Be very careful of ventilation if locating the filler in the trunk.
You read my mind. I have purchased an aftermarket vent kit for this exact thing.
Old 8th February 2019, 20:52

Gents,

Am I completely overthinking the door skins? From the pictures I have seen, do you just adhere them to the existing Z3 doors? It looks like the front of the door skin slips over the lip of the door on the side closest to the engine bay. Or am I wrong?
Old 8th February 2019, 21:29

Barber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
I had two of these made for my and my customers car,

They worked well and did let some hot air out.

And this is fitted.

Still gorgeous, the car I mean,
Old 13th February 2019, 18:41

Just wanting to get some ideas from you guys, what have all of you done on the door locking system on the Z3? My car did not come with remote lock/unlock system. So when you insert the key and unlock the door both door locks automatically unlock. Once you cover the key hole with the door panel and install the aftermarket door handle, are you guys disabling this feature? You could easily get in a situation where the car auto locks and you cannot do anything to get into the car since the original key hole is now covered..

I am tryin to look into a way to tie to factory wiring in some way into the new door handles I have but it does not look possible..
Old 13th February 2019, 18:48

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

When the central locking goes wrong it deadlocks. To open it without access to the outer door lock you have to insert the key in the ignition before you can open the door from the inside.
Casamolino wired a switch in the boot that allows you to drop the window to gain access. Only viable route.
Old 13th February 2019, 19:04

Quote:
Casomolino has sliding windows as his car is a coupe.

What door handles are you using Ace ?
Great idea Jag but Jeff is right I will not be able to do the same as my car is a coupe.

Jeff,

I have original 250 SWB door handles that I was going to use.
Old 13th February 2019, 19:53

IanA is on a distinguished road

Lots of "Car 2 Remotes Central Door Locking Vehicle Keyless Entry System DT Kit Universal" kits on eBay for not much money (<£10). I have one because I saw the fitting of one to a Z3 described on YouTube. No, I haven't fitted it yet. Needs access to wiring behind the heater control panel. The wiring diagram looks to allow a hidden override switch.
Old 13th February 2019, 23:52

Thanks Gents,

It looks like my 2 options. Either install an aftermarket entry system or go old school and get rid of it entirely.
Old 14th February 2019, 00:44

molleur is on a distinguished road

I'm going old school with mine!
Old 10th March 2019, 02:22

nzidol is on a distinguished road

Or use the original boot lock... I'm mounting mine on the outside instead of the mini lock (photo) but you could put it somewhere on the inside to unlock the doors...? Probably only need the square box wired up and push/pull to lock/unlock.
Old 10th March 2019, 10:49

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Central locking update.

I had a really good auto electrician come round as I had saved up a long list of problems, one of them being the central locking.
I had bought a cheap kit off eBay for him to fit. He checked out my key fob and with a tester found the battery was dead. I had replaced the battery when I got the car and when it packed up the first thing I did was change the battery (twice). He said he often comes across this, did my batteries come from the same batch? of course they did, he said a lot of these small button batteries were stored for so long before use that they work but only last a short time and people don't think to blame the batteries. His suggestion was to always have 2 working fobs.
Old 10th March 2019, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzidol View Post
Or use the original boot lock... I'm mounting mine on the outside instead of the mini lock (photo) but you could put it somewhere on the inside to unlock the doors...? Probably only need the square box wired up and push/pull to lock/unlock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Central locking update.

I had a really good auto electrician come round as I had saved up a long list of problems, one of them being the central locking.
I had bought a cheap kit off eBay for him to fit. He checked out my key fob and with a tester found the battery was dead. I had replaced the battery when I got the car and when it packed up the first thing I did was change the battery (twice). He said he often comes across this, did my batteries come from the same batch? of course they did, he said a lot of these small button batteries were stored for so long before use that they work but only last a short time and people don't think to blame the batteries. His suggestion was to always have 2 working fobs.
I have been going back and forth on this as well. The 3D printed bracket for the OEM boot lock is a pretty neat idea. I was considering finding a way to retain it so that I could at least use its auto unlock for the rest of the car if I needed to as you have mentioned.

I am more and more leaning to going old school on it though and have come up with a good idea to make the original Ferrari 250 interior door handles that I have function like the original (bock locking and opening).
Old 10th March 2019, 14:51

Hey Gents,

I realized I haven't posted any progress photos in a while but rest assured I have been busy. Here is what I have been working on:

-Extended the hood scoop back (will make a fiberglass mesh piece for the back)
-Shortened the height of the original doors by about 1.75" and made a small radius on the bottom corner
- Bent up sheet metal boxes to fill the new gaps
-Starting fitting body gaps
-Coilovers will arrive next week so I will get them installed before the rear portion of the car is permanently bonded.

Old 12th March 2019, 01:03

Quote:
Shortening the doors works well,

It's a lot of work but makes a big difference, you could put more of a curve in it for not many more hours work.

I done it to my old car and will certainly do it on the next one, looks like it is coming along well.
Thanks! I have been looking at original pictures of the door curve trying to make mine match but it is quite an interesting curve they have put in it. It definitely has derailed my project timing but after fitting the doors back up I think it is definitely worth it.

It was a picture of one of the cars that you had done that made me want to make this change!
Old 6th May 2019, 01:02

Hey gents,

Just an update on the current activities. I changed my mind yet again on the fuel filler cap location and decided to go with competition model location. I have spent the past few weeks glassing up the new location, modding the boot lid, and running the filler line. Its worked out really well and is downhill the entire length of the filler line so no fuel should sit in the line. Still need to work on gaps...

Old 6th May 2019, 01:13

molleur is on a distinguished road

I contemplated filling in the license plate well also, but decided not to. As yet. Looking really good Ace!

Jack
Old 9th May 2019, 08:06

froggyman is on a distinguished road

This is going to be one great looking car with all the mods. Fuel filler is just right, where was that one obtained?
Old 10th May 2019, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyman View Post
This is going to be one great looking car with all the mods. Fuel filler is just right, where was that one obtained?
Thanks! I got the fuel filler off of eBay. Link for equivalent is below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-Mo...ss!77377!US!-1

Cheers
Old 10th May 2019, 12:42

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Thanks, that cap looks abetter size than most i have seen.
Old 11th May 2019, 00:31

Quote:
The build is coming along well,

I see you have marked out for a bigger rear window, how do you plan to do the bend ?
Thanks Jeff,

I am going to make a mold of how I want the rear window to look and then heat bend lexan to shape.. I plan on posting a separate how-to on the forum in case anyone wants to follow suit. I have done something similar for a boat window but its the same application.

Cheers