Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 19th January 2014, 21:58
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I've not updated for a while due to moving house. I've still got a long list of jobs to do, not least is to empty and refurbish my garage.

But I couldn't resit this car as a donor car that came up on Autotrader.

It's actually a pretty cool car and I enjoyed the 75 mile drive home around the M25 and up the M1
I plan to give it an oil service and then drive it around for a couple of weeks to see if it has any issues. It'll then be SORN'd and parked up in my back yard until I have time to start work on it.
Now, back to my list of DIY jobs....

P.S. it's a 1995 328i with a M52B28 engine and has clocked up 153k miles.
Old 20th January 2014, 17:41
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Nice bit rag top down driving
Old 21st January 2014, 19:21
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Nice bit rag top down driving
a bit chilly in this weather
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:56

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
a bit chilly in this weather

But you're a hardened (ex) Marlin driver.

No such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong choice of clothes!!
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:55
Enthusiast

I've also picked from ebay a pair of MX5 seats. It's going to be sometime before I can trail fit them in the Sabre but they came up at £40 and only a few miles from home. They'll be trial fitted and if OK will be recovered or traded in for a pair with new covers.

....peter
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:35
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
But you're a hardened (ex) Marlin driver.

No such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong choice of clothes!!

I had resisted trying the roof in case it got stuck down but surprisingly all the motors work fine.

...but it seems the clutch is on it's last legs as I had trouble reversing up my drive the last time I parked it, so the car has probably now done it's last few miles

p.s. if anyone wants a complete black leather seats and interior, do let me know!!

p.p.s a Royale Sabre with a motorised hood would be pretty cool, eh?
Old 24th January 2014, 13:11
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I've also picked from ebay a pair of MX5 seats. It's going to be sometime before I can trail fit them in the Sabre but they came up at £40 and only a few miles from home. They'll be trial fitted and if OK will be recovered or traded in for a pair with new covers.

....peter
They look familiar. £40 is a good price :-) I found recovering them fairly easy and the covers I bought from ebay were a good fit. No need to use the "proper" split ring thingies that upholsterers use - cable ties work fine. You do need strong fingers though...

Robin
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:19

AnthonyW. is on a distinguished road
Default Sabre Hood and and frame.

Hi Peter,
I have a Sabre with a hard top,and I want to fit a hood. I cannot get either the frame nor any drawings from AutoMotive Creations who are currently making the Sabre.

If you are refurbishing your car, I wonder whether I could borrow the frame and brackets so I could make drawings please.

Regards,

AnthonyW.
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:16
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW. View Post
Hi Peter,
I have a Sabre with a hard top,and I want to fit a hood. I cannot get either the frame nor any drawings from AutoMotive Creations who are currently making the Sabre.

If you are refurbishing your car, I wonder whether I could borrow the frame and brackets so I could make drawings please.

Regards,

AnthonyW.

Hi Anthony,
and a warm welcome to the MAKC forum!

I am a bit surprised that you cannot get a hood frame from Automotive Creations as it's listed in their Parts list on their website? Malcolm (Badger) is usually very helpful to existing owners and at £297.00 I can't see making one yourself makes much sense? But I guess I can see why Malcolm would be sensitive to releasing copies of the drawings to protect his investment.
My hood frame is all in pieces and packed away in one of my 'lock-ups' so it may take me a while to find it all again but I have started to slowly sort things out after moving house last year.

If you have no luck with Malcolm, then send me a PM with your contact details and I'm sure we can work something out.

best regards,

Peter
Old 16th April 2014, 23:26
Enthusiast

Still working my way through my 'Honey do' list but made progress this week by demolishing the old log storage shelter to make way for a garden shed. This will free up space in the garage so I can move the Sabre to it's new home. It'll probably be another few months but in the meantime I've been buying and selling on that well known auction site and collecting together some more useful parts. Ford Sierra parts are now definitely becoming scarce and more expensive.

Cheap alloys by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I bought these wheels just to move the car around on as I'm selling the BMW Type 32's that came with the donor car. They cost me only £50 for 5 including an unused spare wheel and tyre. I've already sold the spare for £35 so they cost me £15!!

Steel wheels by marlinpeter, on Flickr
These are for the Sabre. Another ebay purchase and even though they are 11 years old they have been dry stored in a shed for 10 years. Colour coded to match the car paint and some nice shiny hub caps and I hope they will create the right effect. (Mark 1, Ford Focus, in case you wondered)

Sierra handbrake cables by marlinpeter, on Flickr
Sierra handbrake cables

I bought both of these cables from the same seller as they were listed under an obscure Unipart number and only £4.99 each. I need to get one of them shortened, but which one? The one on the left has a manufacturing date of 1995 whereas the one on the right was made in 2000. Was the change in bushes due to cost reduction, automation or an improvement due to failures of the earlier type?

Ford Diffrential/final drive mounts by marlinpeter, on Flickr
Ford Differential/final drive mounts

On the left is a Granada diff mount compared with a Sierra version on the right. The Sabre chassis can take either type. The Granada version looks like a good option if the polybushed version is too stiff.

Evolution of Ford Uprights. by marlinpeter, on Flickr
The Evolution of Ford Uprights.
Far left is a Scorpio Cosworth upright and hub, in the centre is Mk 3 Granada knuckle and on the right is the standard Sierra upright. The plan is to try and use the Granada knuckles if the Scorpio hubs will fit. The advantage is that they are a bit more substantial and have 12mm bolt holes for the calipers which means I can use bigger brake discs and calipers. This is a bit of a side trial which has some way to go before I can be sure they will fit and not screw up the geometry, etc.
I'm also cleaning up the rear brake calipers to see if they are refurnishable or will be traded in.

that's all for now...

...peter
Old 11th August 2014, 11:43

lordivanhoe is on a distinguished road
Default Your Sabre build..

Peter, this is truly awesome.
With great sadness I am currently selling my own Sabre which I built 1997-2002 and have had on the road ever since - parenthood, career changes and a house purchase have all contributed to this fateful decision at this point in time.
However, on the plus side, I have promised myself (and have made SWMBO aware, without demur so far..!) that one day I will build another one (or, if the opportunity arises, do as you are doing and buy one needing rebuild)..
Loving your blog/build, it's really bringing back good memories and is inspirational. I was thinking about attempting to 're-enter the fray' in about two years' time (funds etc permitting!) and am already having all sorts of ideas about engine alternatives, etc, so to see the kind of work you are doing here is great. Mind you, it's really making my building fingers itch, I don't know if I can wait a full two years..!
I look forward to the next instalment and will follow with avid interest!

ps: anyone out there who knows, or hears of, a Sabre kit/part build/unfinished build/needs a rebuild at any time, I'd love to hear about it..!!
Old 11th August 2014, 22:46
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordivanhoe View Post
Peter, this is truly awesome.
With great sadness I am currently selling my own Sabre which I built 1997-2002 and have had on the road ever since - parenthood, career changes and a house purchase have all contributed to this fateful decision at this point in time.
However, on the plus side, I have promised myself (and have made SWMBO aware, without demur so far..!) that one day I will build another one (or, if the opportunity arises, do as you are doing and buy one needing rebuild)..
Loving your blog/build, it's really bringing back good memories and is inspirational. I was thinking about attempting to 're-enter the fray' in about two years' time (funds etc permitting!) and am already having all sorts of ideas about engine alternatives, etc, so to see the kind of work you are doing here is great. Mind you, it's really making my building fingers itch, I don't know if I can wait a full two years..!
I look forward to the next instalment and will follow with avid interest!

ps: anyone out there who knows, or hears of, a Sabre kit/part build/unfinished build/needs a rebuild at any time, I'd love to hear about it..!!
Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you're enjoying the updates. (albeit a little slow progress since moving house last year).
Sorry to hear that you are selling your own car but I'd love to see any old build photo's if you have any?
Unfinished or neglected Sabres do seem to be rather rare but pop up occasionally. I'll let you know if I hear anything!

...peter

Last edited by peterux; 11th August 2014 at 22:47.. Reason: typo
Old 12th August 2014, 09:10

lordivanhoe is on a distinguished road

Hey Peter, great to hear from you. Thanks, a Sabre in need of TLC may well be the most cost-effective way of getting one these days, I'm hoping.
I'll have a look and see what photos I might have knocking about, although I'm afraid they won't be as instructive as yours and there may not be many - my build was done in the days when most cameras were still filled with film..!! Cheers, Ivan. ps I recall a brief part-thread about wheels on your blog a while back, I'd be interested to hear what you think of my eventual solution.. ;-)
Old 30th August 2014, 19:13

Amir Manzoori is on a distinguished road

Dear Peter, it was nice seeing you at Donington show and to be able to recognise Peterux who's Sabre was the reason I had to find one to do up. I have been following your build, or should I say a first class rebuild, and hope to see more of your progress. Peter, if you ask me, I would advise leave every other task at hand and carry on with the Sabre. Just kidding, keep up the good work and good luck with everything.
Old 30th August 2014, 20:58
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Manzoori View Post
Dear Peter, it was nice seeing you at Donington show and to be able to recognise Peterux who's Sabre was the reason I had to find one to do up. I have been following your build, or should I say a first class rebuild, and hope to see more of your progress. Peter, if you ask me, I would advise leave every other task at hand and carry on with the Sabre. Just kidding, keep up the good work and good luck with everything.

Hi Amir,
likewise, it was great to meet you and Peter today.
You are making a very nice job of your car and I really enjoyed the my lift back to the car park
For other followers of these 'bespoke motor vehicles' here is a picture of your super car at the Knebworth Classic car show last week.
Hopefully I'll be back in my garage again soon.... (but I have been saying that for a while now! )

Royale Sabre - Knebworth 2014 by marlinpeter, on Flickr

....peter
Old 26th September 2014, 07:17

Default Waiting

Dear Peter, Thank you so much for your comment and the picture. I must say, you are good photographer too, as I didn't have such a nice photo.
Talking to few people who in the past have indulged in our hubby, building, or rebuilding "bespoke automobiles" there are many who are following your build and like me, eagerly awaiting report of further progress in your project. We all hope your new house and larger garage encourages you to continue. Good luck with everything.
Old 5th October 2014, 18:34

Hi Peter, its me again.
Remote servos, had an idea which I am implementing, with remote servos being fitted outside of engine bay all together, therefor not interfering with any components under the bonnet. Have made the brackets and mounted remote servos ready to be bolted onto the chassis. I have some pictures but somehow couldn't attache it. Please ring me and talk with me on 020 8453 1123.
All the best
Amir
Old 6th October 2014, 19:17
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Manzoori View Post
Hi Peter, its me again.
Remote servos, had an idea which I am implementing, with remote servos being fitted outside of engine bay all together, therefor not interfering with any components under the bonnet. Have made the brackets and mounted remote servos ready to be bolted onto the chassis. I have some pictures but somehow couldn't attache it.
All the best
Amir
Hi Amir,
that sounds very interesting, where are you thinking of mounting them on the chassis?
For posting pictures I always put mine on Flickr first and then add a link in my posts on this forum. I think you can still get a free Flickr account and there is also Photobucket but I haven't used that.
But I believe there are other ways of posting pictures on the forum directly.
I think this thread covers some ways to do it.....
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...?t=3076&page=2
Post #21 has the instructions......for attaching directly to this forum without using Flickr.

....peter
P.S. still no progress on my Sabre but I have started to dismantle the BMW donor. I'm quite busy on ebay selling off bits I don't need
Old 19th October 2014, 18:42
Enthusiast

Well, I haven't actually been building the Sabre but I have been doing some preparation work.
I've bought another 328 MS41 ECU and sent it off to have the EWS immobiliser deleted so that I don't have to transfer the BMW key sensor and associated gubbens. The ECU was from a 1997 328 Coupe which was still a single VANOS M52, so it should have similar engine Maps to mine. It also need its ABS signal limiter fixed so that the ECU doesn't limit the rpm without an ABS installed.
It's now installed in the car, in place of the original ECU, and works just fine with the EWS module removed and with the ABS disabled. With the new ECU installed and the EWS module removed you have to bridge Pins 1 and 3 to complete the starter motor circuit.

Engine running without the EWS module by marlinpeter, on Flickr
In the picture above you can spot the brown coloured bridging link in the yellow EWS module connector. The EWS module is lying on the floor to the right of the picture.

I had a bit of a worry when it was first installed because I was getting hunting of the idle between 300 to 700rpm. After some troubleshooting and head scratching I discovered it was a poor connection at the engine coolant temperature sensor plug. It just coincidently started when I changed the ECU. The troublesome coolant sensor has been replaced just in case it was on it's way out although I think it was just a poor connection.

Both my original ECU and the new one were flagging up a faulty Camshaft Sensor. After clearing the fault a few times it always came back after running the engine. I've swapped it out for a used BMW part as I had read that some of the aftermarket sensors aren't very good quality. The used sensor cost me £10 (inc. postage) and works fine so far. What was surprising was the unusually loud 'ticking' from the injectors has really quietened down and my exhaust is much cleaner and almost odourless. Ever since I've had the car it has had a very smelly exhaust which filled my garage with fumes even though the car is parked about 10 foot from the door. What i realise now is that with the camshaft sensor not working the ECU was effectively overfuelling at idle. (I had previously assumed the CAT was knackered).

I will continue to check over the engine and ancillaries until I'm ready to remove the engine and gearbox....

I've also been busy removing and selling parts that will not be needed for the Sabre. When I built my Marlin Sportster, I dismantled the donor car and then sold off the unwanted parts. This time i'm selling all the unwanted parts first so I am not have to store them all and have them getting in the way, etc. I've sold the alloy wheels, seats, door cards, armrest, glovebox, hood motors and a variety of other small parts. So far I've made £600 (not including ebay fees) so I'm on track to fully recover the cost of my donor car.
e36 Donor car dismantling by marlinpeter, on Flickr

e36 Donor car dismantling by marlinpeter, on Flickr

...peter
Old 20th October 2014, 07:22

Default Remote servo

Hi Peter,
I have managed to put some pictures which shows the original sketches, the bracket and position the brackets and remote servos would be fitted, underside of both front wings, how it can easily be covered from the elements with light weight material which can easily be removed for service. Hope this is useful.

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg