Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 29th August 2020, 18:56

deni is on a distinguished road

Having the seats at the right height and position helps with positioning the steering wheel. I have mocked up the mounting for it for now and will weld the proper mounting and bracing next time I work on the car.

I also need to make a subframe for the seats, as I need to raise them for 7 cm.

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg
Old 29th August 2020, 19:18

I will also modify the steering column. I have bought a 40cm steering shaft and UJ from CBS and another, bit shorter UJ from Canleys, to attach the column to the steering rack. This is needed as the steering column needs to be extended more than it is possible with the original setting, and because the angle of the steering wheel is different from the original.

IMG_2571.jpg

I was also trying to figure out where and how to install the seat belts. I think the approach in the second photo is better, but instead of mounting the third point using the frame-to-chassis bolt, I will weld a mounting point onto the frame just above it.

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

As I have mentioned before, I bought a pair of GAZ adjustable shocks a while ago. When all the above is done, I will (try to) tackle the front suspension.
I will use 14" steel wheels with 175/65 tyres. I reckon I will need to lower the car for about 2 inches.

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

So much for now, I'll post more photos when I progress further.

Cheers, D.

Last edited by deni; 29th August 2020 at 19:23.. Reason: Additional info.
Old 30th August 2020, 01:22

1iTim is on a distinguished road

Nice work and good progress. I remember trying to get the steering position 'just right' - and in the end gave up and it is where it is!

Good luck!

T
Old 30th August 2020, 10:36

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I'd stick with the narrow seats or similar and mount them as low as possible rather than going for the bigger bases.

The reason is you'll end up with your head and upper body sticking up into the air flow above the wind deflector if you have the wide ones high enough to clear the chassis rails. That's not only bad for the aerodynamics, but it's also very uncomfortable and you'll look like Noddy tootling through Toytown.

Ideally, when seated you need your shoulders to be level with or no more than a couple of inches above the cockpit edge.

Ultimately it's your choice and it's nice to see your build progressing.
Old 30th August 2020, 11:22

Smile

1iTim- Thank you for letting me know so I don't get too frustrated about it I am looking forward to seeing how you are going to bond the body to the frame, so good luck with it. I also enjoy your YouTube videos, nice to see more Miglias being made!
Old 30th August 2020, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I'd stick with the narrow seats or similar and mount them as low as possible rather than going for the bigger bases.

The reason is you'll end up with your head and upper body sticking up into the air flow above the wind deflector if you have the wide ones high enough to clear the chassis rails. That's not only bad for the aerodynamics, but it's also very uncomfortable and you'll look like Noddy tootling through Toytown.

Ideally, when seated you need your shoulders to be level with or no more than a couple of inches above the cockpit edge.

Ultimately it's your choice and it's nice to see your build progressing.
Hahahaha, thanks for your advice Mr T. I will certainly try to avoid looking like Noddy! I am not very tall though, and I will make sure my shoulders do not stick out above the cockpit too much. I just want to make sure I can see above the screen and make the MOT guys happy (possibly with the help of a cushion )

Cheers, D.
Old 31st August 2020, 00:06

1iTim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deni View Post
I just want to make sure I can see above the screen and make the MOT guys happy ....
cusion, or a saw (for the screen, not you!)
T
Old 31st August 2020, 11:34

1iTim - ...that's right, one or another.

Cheers, D.
Old 25th December 2020, 11:15

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Old 7th July 2021, 18:16

Hi all,

I am finally able to continue with my build and I hope to make some good progress in the next few weekends.
I have started to finalise the steering column installation, and I am still working on it, but here are some photos of the mock up that show what I am trying to achieve.

I have already improved the mounting and bracing of the column bracket and I will post more photos of the finished product shortly.

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

I have also refurbished and repainted all parts and shortened inner column shaft, so I can use UJ's to extend the column and to avoid welding it. Also, this way I'm more flexible with the positioning of the steering wheel.

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg
Old 7th July 2021, 18:21

Below are the photos showing shortening of the inner column shaft and grinding off the column surface to be able to lock it in place with the locking bracket.

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

That's it for now. It's good to be back...I will post more photos soon.

Cheers, D.

Last edited by deni; 7th July 2021 at 18:27..
Old 9th July 2021, 16:46

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Deni - Good to see you are back on your car.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 10th July 2021, 00:03

Thanks Paul, it’s been a while since I was able to work on the car, but I’m finally able to get back to it, which is great.
I am glad to read that you’re planning to get back on the road and enjoy driving the Swoordfish again.
I hope weight lifting is going well (great idea btw), and you’re on track with loosing another stone before the end of the summer...I’m pretty certain you’re more successful with that than I am 😉.

Cheers, D.
Old 15th October 2021, 14:34

Hi all,

A quick update. I have re-addressed my steering column attachment. I thought it could be a bit stronger than the previous one.

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

This is how it looks now it's finished. It is not the most elegant solution, but it is quite strong and sturdy.

IMG_3086.jpg

I have drilled 4 holes, so I can choose between 2 lateral positions (if necessary).

IMG_3087.jpg

...and raise it up a bit if necessary.

IMG_3089.jpg
Old 15th October 2021, 14:41

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

It took me a while to figure out and decide how to do this and I'm happy with the result. It is strong and sturdy, as I said before, and it is easy to remove the column and the whole assembly if necessary.

Last edited by deni; 15th October 2021 at 15:53..
Old 15th October 2021, 14:56

I have also fabricated a back plate to bolt the back side of the brake and clutch pedals on, and to mount the accelerator pedal.

IMG_3095.jpg

I've also added a stop plate for the accelerator pedal and to have a solid base to drill a hole and attach the accelerator cable too (as I'm not sure if the bulkhead cladding will be at the right height).

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

Last edited by deni; 15th October 2021 at 15:54..
Old 15th October 2021, 15:10

I have added a self-aligning bearing too, to add extra support to the upper steering column.

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3101.jpg

I'm not sure if it is necessary, but I am thinking of adding another self-aligning bearing further down (which would be mounted on the steel bars welded onto the chassis), to add extra support to the lower steering shaft. Any comments and advice are welcome.

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg
Old 15th October 2021, 15:51

I don't know if the previous owner has ever changed the brake pipes, and if so, I don't know when. Even though the brake and the fuel pipes look to be in good condition, I have decided to replace them. I've decided to use Cupro-Nickel (Kunifer) pipes instead of copper ones. I bought a pre-made set and they look and feel strong, yet easy to bend and install.

IMG_3129.jpg

I have never done this before (like most things I have done so far in this build) and I was curious if I will be able to do this. It's going well so far I think. As you can see from the photos below, I have managed to change the back brake pipes.

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

I found a bit of surface corrosion below the front brake splitter (where the brake fluid was dripping I guess), so I will first clean, apply rust treatment and paint this area before replacing the front pipes. I guess I could replace the line splitters too while I am at it, but I am not sure if that is necessary. Again, any advice is welcome.

It was already getting dark by the time I wanted to do this, so I will finish the job next time I am in the garage.

IMG_3140.jpg

I will also replace the rubber brake hoses when they arrive. They are not in the stock at the moment and are on back order with Rimmers.

So much for now.

Cheers, Deni.

P.S. I am not sure what is the build progress of other Miglia builders - I am curious how the other builders are progressing and how far on they are. Come on peeps, let us know how it's going ;-)

Last edited by deni; 15th October 2021 at 16:03..
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:41

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Deni - Sorry, I can't offer much in the way of technical advice about the steering or brakes.

But I hope I can offer some general encouragement in that you are making good progress.

Like yourself, I often wonder what happened to other Miglia/Sammio builds.

Unfortunately, I think many builders get overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the task.

It took a lot to keep convincing myself that every job I did, no matter how small, was a step closer to the finish line.
(Which is why I found keeping a build thread such a big help for motivation.)

I think all of us have found this takes longer than we thought/planned/hoped.
(Especially when 'life' gets in the way.)

However, I stick by my theory that as long as you finish, it doesn't matter how long it took.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:22

Thank you for your comments Paul.
Yes, life gets in the way very often, and my build is very slow for various reasons, but I have decided not to worry about it too much anymore - I'm doing as much as I can and when I can.
I do not have any previous experience either. Some jobs that are easy for others are a challenge for me, so I need to do a lot of research, but I'm getting there slowly and I enjoy learning how to do them.
This forum is great and the members are very helpful, friendly and understanding (even if I ask a silly question possibly), so thanks everyone for your help and advice so far - if it wasn't for this forum I would probably not dare to start this build.
Also, my garage is an hour drive from my home, so I can't just pop in and do a couple of hours to keep things moving. I couldn't go there during the lockdown either, which was very frustrating.
Nevertheless, I am grateful that I have a garage at all and I am determined to finish the car one day.

Cheers, D.