Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 26th January 2018, 08:31

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road
Default Exporting to France

The silver Moss appears to have been sold to France and I was wondering if anyone knew the rules on exporting a modified car to France, Germany or Spain.

I sold a couple of Triumph motorcycles a few years back to a Frenchman who turned up to collect them with a Citroen Lomax on a trailer. He would buy the Lomax's to take back to France and the bikes were just to fill the extra space to make the journey more cost effective.
He did tell me (this is what I can't remember) that he could only register the Lomax in France if the V5 said Lomax or Citroen. So long as they were correctly registered he could get the French paperwork and could sell them for almost double what he paid in the UK.

There was a very nice Cobra for sale last year, UK registered and the English owner wanted to take it to his property in France but the French refused to register it so he had to sell it.

I have changed my V5 and it is now registered as a Tribute California in the maker's section and no model name. I am beginning to wonder if it would have been more sensible to leave it as, make BMW, model California.

On a side note, if you think the DVLA are awkward, they have nothing on the French. An English friend of mine who has lived in France for the last 40 years took home a late 90's BMW motorcycle, they refused to register it because it had the wrong E markings on all of the indicators and the rear light. They were E marked but France and Germany have different E markings to the UK (one digit different?). He had to borrow the lenses from someone in the owners club, pass the registration and then swap them back.
Available from eBay
Old 26th January 2018, 21:21

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

It is different in different countries , despite constantly being tolds we are all coming in line with each other , thats not the reality ...
France can be tricky ...I think it has to be a recognised make , some kit cars have been approved , but not many ...A few French guys I have dealt with get the car registered in Belgium , then ''import'' it into France ...another guy ..Lucky I think , seems to have a system as he actively sells kits in France ...

Germany , Holland , Italy ..they all ask for different criteria , regular German S*mmio buyer leaves the books as Triumph Herald Convertibles ...but new buyers have had issues apparently ... so trying to customize your V5c to accommodate overseas , is not that straight forward ...

I think , you need to do it the correct way for the U.K. avoiding any pitfalls here and let the buyers do their homework ..