Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 10th April 2016, 09:43

redratbike is on a distinguished road

There is another xk120 for sale for am titles more on cars and classics with a hideous body covered in crap would be a quick route to a d type as you say. Sell the body off to cover the new d type body ...probably on the road sub 10k bloody bargain

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C586013

Last edited by redratbike; 10th April 2016 at 09:47..
Old 10th April 2016, 10:20

Hippo is on a distinguished road

The Fast Cars chassis is around ten grand US, I think, but it comes as shown. Ratco (https://www.sites.google.com/site/tonyratco/price-list) do chassis for all the TR range starting at just over 4 grand US rising according to the modifications you choose. In UK, CTM Engineering build new chassis, http://ctmengineering.co.uk/wp/services/
Old 10th April 2016, 11:04

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph Special View Post
Yup, the TVR2500M (intended as an export model, but some stayed here) used the Triumph six.

Didn't you build a '32 based on a Lotus, Gary?
Not built to completion , no , but I have fitted a 32 body to one in the past ..yes.

I think as lovely as those U.S. chassis are , they are a lot of money , expensive to import as parts , no registration , further potential issues etc etc..
Your money would be much better spent on a tatty TVR , with some parting out cash back options and a logbook advantage too .
Old 10th April 2016, 11:40

Ah, so Mick O'Malley's D Type is based on an A352 shell, not the Automotive D Type shell…

I am not after building an exact copy of a D Type, I would like to lose the fin, for example, and I am of two minds whether it should have humps or not. Either of the two nicest A352s I have seen on this site, the stunning grey and green one with two humps or the Green Classics one without humps would be perfect… if they were 90" in the wheelbase and a little bit wider.

Where I am so far, then, is here:

From Tribute Automotive's post of 9th December 2012 21:07 (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...?t=3908&page=7)

"Hi Cemlyn

The A352 Wheel base is 83" but we can stretch the body by adding a section to the mould to around 91". Measurement to inside lip of wheel aches is 63" rear and 62" front.

This picture shows the car on standard Spitfire wheels, you can see the wheel to arch gap is fairly large. "

Tribute had their bodyshells up for sale on Ebay and in the same post he goes on to say:

" The D Type shell on ebay is 7" longer in the wheelbase and 4" wider overall."

That would make the wheelbase of the Automotive D Type shell 90", and the width between inside lips of wheel arches 67" rear, 66" front. Plenty room enough, I would have thought, to shroud quite a few chassis types and a six pot Jaguar engine.

Now that I am a member, I might try sending M. Patoune a pm as he has built one.

The 'Panamerica' Aristocat is truly breathtaking. Clearly a lot of thought, time and money has been invested in its creation. Perhaps the owner attended the School for Scoundrels with Ian Carmichael?
Old 10th April 2016, 19:24

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
The 'Panamerica' Aristocat is truly breathtaking. Clearly a lot of thought, time and money has been invested in its creation. Perhaps the owner attended the School for Scoundrels with Ian Carmichael?
It was featured in Complete Kitcar last year!
Old 11th April 2016, 14:05

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... I am not after building an exact copy of a D Type, I would like to lose the fin, for example, and I am of two minds whether it should have humps or not. Either of the two nicest A352s I have seen on this site, the stunning grey and green one with two humps or the Green Classics one without humps would be perfect… if they were 90" in the wheelbase and a little bit wider...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
…IMHO, if you want to drive around in something that looks and sounds like a D Type, and will fool most folk, you can't go far wrong with an A352 on a Spitfire or GT6 chassis frame with a Vitesse/GT6/TR six pot engine. I'm biased, as this is what I'm creating. In over 30 years of playing with kit cars I've yet to see a pedantic nerd with a tape measure dissing anyone's wheelbase or track!…
Hippo - I have some experience of doing things the hard way.

So based on the two quotes above I would strongly suggest going down the A352 route.

You might end up spending a lot of time getting the D Type body shell to fit a suitable chassis.

Then even more time if the chassis alterations mean you have to pass an IVA test.

Whereas this time could be used to create a classic looking interior which will look the part.

Just a thought, Paul.
Old 11th April 2016, 16:55

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

In support of Paul's suggestion, I think it is positive to go for something that is reminiscent of a D-type or Lancia D24 etc, etc.. After all, it is never going to be one of these so why pretend? If it looks and sounds the part then you will have something spectacular without the heartache of trying to match things exactly and whether the diff mounting bolts were UNF or UNC........

This is only my opinion.....but an A352 with a six-pot would have heads spinning wherever you went.
Old 11th April 2016, 18:30

Again, I have to agree. If I try to build a D Type replica, I would have to spend a fortune making sure every part is correct and period. Even then, everywhere I go it will be compared and judged with both the unmatchable original and those other superb replicas out there. Not only am I not competent enough to build such a car, I couldn't afford to either.

So. all I would like is a well built generic sixties sportscar which, while it won't be cheap with Jaguar running gear, will be unique. The A352, without question a very pretty car, limits me to a smaller chassis. I am hoping that the D Type body is both longer and wider thereby offering me a wider choice of beefier chassis. So that it can not be confused as a D Type replica, I will be losing the fin (which might be OK at 180 on the Mulsanne Straight but must be a bugger at more sane speeds in a cross wind). I will also lose the central cockpit division. In effect, I will be taking a D Type and making it look like an A352, just bigger.

Those measurements I am looking for, once I get them, will confirm the size of the D Type body and then I will be able to make a reasoned judgement.

Is passing an IVA test really such a drama? Don't almost all new Cobra builds have to go through them, for example? I don't know, I have never had to face one before.
Old 11th April 2016, 19:12

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So that it can not be confused as a D Type replica, I will be losing the fin (which might be OK at 180 on the Mulsanne Straight but must be a bugger at more sane speeds in a cross wind). I will also lose the central cockpit division. In effect, I will be taking a D Type and making it look like an A352, just bigger.

Sounds like you want a XKSS look alike https://youtu.be/4Ai0uSj_OVE
Old 11th April 2016, 19:42

Quote:
... Is passing an IVA test really such a drama? ...
From what I have read (as my build is a "simple" rebody), the key is to read the rules before you start.

That way, every part you choose and where you choose to fit it will be in order.

There is a very long thread on 'Rods 'n' Sods' that highlights some of the rules and how to pass.

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/top...gh-biva-405393

Good luck, Paul.
Old 11th April 2016, 21:20

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Is passing an IVA test really such a drama? Don't almost all new Cobra builds have to go through them, for example? I don't know, I have never had to face one before.
The main problem being that it is yet another barrier to completion. For every finished kit there must be 10 more in garages....

Cobra's are easier because they have been done before loads of times and plenty of internet resources to guide you.
Old 12th April 2016, 06:17

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

The IVA inspection is expensive at £450 for the initial inspection and then £90 per re test. I know of a 356 Speedster builder who finally got a pass on the sixth attempt so it was effectively a £990 MOT.

The rules around what you can and can't have on the car are also ridiculously strict in many cases.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ion_manual.pdf

I accept that they need to check that the seat belts are mounted safely, but are classic Smiths instrument bezels really so dangerous that you can't safely fit them to a car? After all, if my face makes contact with my Spyder's speedo I'll have more to worry about than a cut face

And I'm sure a padded steering wheel will look fine in a fifties Jag replica...
Old 12th April 2016, 07:20

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

If you could up your budget just a little bit

http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/new...nine-new-xkss/
Old 12th April 2016, 07:44

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Just reading about Smash new bumpers and noticed the place that made his bumpers also " We have even recreated classic car bodies in alloy such as D type Jaguar from original"

Might cost a touch more than a Tribute kit though
Old 12th April 2016, 18:21

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

The D type body that I have on the car I am doing has a wheelbase of 90''.
Overall width is approx 66/67'' ( trying to measure on my own ! )
Track appears to be around 57'' , this car has splined adaptors fitted that will add about about an inch or so each side , so the stock SE5 track of 55'' appears to be right .
If I was you , I would forget the Jag Engine because its a huge lump to get into any kit car chassis and I would build a 6 cyl. Vitesse chassie'd car using a stretched A352 body .

The Vitesse is 91'' wheelbase and has a track of 48'' ( if you add adaptors as you will need to , you will be at approx 50''

The stock D type ( remember the Tribute D type is the same as many of them and widened to cater for XJ6 axles ) is 90'' wheelbase and 50'' track width

So , the A352 is probably somewhere handy to a genuine D type width but too short - stretching the wheelbase would give you some fairly close dimensions .
Old 13th April 2016, 06:07

Perfect donor on ebay, already has a Jag motor installed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/triumph-sp...kAAOSwvFZW7C8U

Can't see that being too much trouble to get running right.
Old 13th April 2016, 06:12

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Imagine just changing the plugs on that!
Old 13th April 2016, 11:33

With just the Guide to the IVA Scheme being 65 pages, I wasn't surprised to see the Inspection Manual itself is 299 pages! A few hours spent reading and marking with a highlight pen is in order, I think.

Well, I think we have the dimensions of both the A352 and the D Type bodies sorted, the D Type being 4" wider and with a wheelbase of 90" so thank you all for your assistance, especially Lancelot who went to the trouble of taking physical measurements.

As to the way to go you have all certainly given me food for thought. I shall have to do a little more research, have a bit of a think and then decide. At least I know both kits are available.

Mr Towed, your Spyder, what I can see of it, looks exceptional.
Old 13th April 2016, 16:44

Quote:
... Mr Towed, your Spyder, what I can see of it, looks exceptional...
It is.

Original build thread here

"On the road" thread here
Old 13th April 2016, 18:23

Quote:

Mr Towed, your Spyder, what I can see of it, looks exceptional.
Thanks Hippo (and Paul), I'm glad you like my car. Nearly three years on the road now and I still love it. I can't claim all the credit though, in case you didn't know, it's an example of a Sammio Spyder developed by Lancelot Link (Gary Janes).

I've found the debate about using the correct engine, dimensions etc. for a D Type rather interesting as I deliberately gave mine a Lancia identity even though it's dimensions are way off. This was the inspiration -

...and this is the reaction it gets at Italian car shows -

Truth is, the original cars are so rare that pretty much nobody notices the difference. So get building yourself a D Type inspired special and don't worry too much about getting the dimensions 100% accurate. Just enjoy the journey.