Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 28th February 2015, 18:46

mcramsay is on a distinguished road
Default progress update

its been a few months since i last posted up here about my progress so i thought i would give another update.

progress has been somewhat slow, due to work commitments meaning longer hours and weekends...and its been freezing so i nocked it on the head for a few months.

the last time i posted i was trying to sort out the clutch. i have it all installed but i am not happy with how heavy it is. so a job my my list is to remove the pedal box (Again!!!) and cut the clutch mounting plate out and re position the angle so that he master cylinder can sit on a hole closer to the pivot point without bending the pushrod! (clutch cylinder number 2 is needed!)

aside from that the car is mechanically complete and the engine runs pretty well. i think i have a few gremlins but nothing i cannot get around .

i have also pretty much fitted all the body work and taken it off again to finish building,

the rear lights have been fitted and wired up as well as the fronts. but the fronts are going to need a little bit of work, (either brackets making or stop locks on the steering rack to stop the tyres hitting the lights on full lock)

finally and the most time consuming part is i have been trying to make my own exhaust system. it has been a complete nightmare and not something i would recommend to any one without a proper pipebender and half decent tig welder! i have a rubbish tig welder and had to buy a load of pre made bends along with Two CATS and flanges... i had the whole system fully completed but got a head of my self and managed to absolutley cock one pipe up today so i have to remake a small section of it. unluckily for me it is a link piece and is a really really bad angle to try and link the pipes together! here are a few pics of the system :

i have tried to get both sides looking the same, there are some differences but to be honest i cant do any better with the tools i have!

its not great but it is the best i can do!
Available from eBay
Old 28th February 2015, 22:03
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what the IVA man will say about the outboard cats... You may have to put a guard on them, as they're bound to get hot - hotter than the muffler boxes.

I couldn't find anything regarding it in the IVA manual, but this caterham builder put some perforated shields on his:

http://www.caterhamr500.co.uk/2014/0...x-exhaust.html

I'd hate for you to do all this hard work only for the man from Vosa to say no on the day.
Old 28th February 2015, 22:49

My last kit car passed iva with an outboard cat. All gbsc zeros run outboard cats and none have had any issues, if presents its self as an issue then some exhaust wrap should suffice
Old 1st March 2015, 10:30

Apologies I didnt mean for that post above to come across all matter of fact! Thanks for pointing it out!
Old 1st March 2015, 10:36
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

No worries. I've never seen an outboard cat before... Hence my post.

That guy with the R500 looks to have swapped his cat after the test for something a bit more bling, and no cover on that!
Old 1st March 2015, 22:10
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramsay View Post
My last kit car passed iva with an outboard cat. All gbsc zeros run outboard cats and none have had any issues, if presents its self as an issue then some exhaust wrap should suffice
It might be worth pondering on why Caterham supply and fit a cover?
I suspect the issue might be in General Construction which states...

"1. All aspects of the design and construction of the vehicle must be such that no Immediate danger is caused or likely to be caused to any person in the vehicle or to other road users."

This leaves it a bit open to interpretation by the IVA examiner, but I also have not heard of any failures.
For the cost of a fail, I'd knock up a couple of temporary covers that may fall off later.
Just Google 'Stainless cutlery drainer' and you'll see some suitable options Some even come with IVA friendly rolled edges!!

As with all parts of the IVA, prevention is better than cure.

...peter