Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 26th February 2018, 14:45

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSS View Post
... Also, i’ve Never quite been sure why the Spitfire/A352 conversion doesn’t need an IVA? Surely the door mods and windscreen removals constitute a fairly big change to the structure of the car?...
MJSS - We tend to talk about the Tribute A352 being a “rebody” that does not require IVA.

But, technically, it is a ‘Radically Altered Vehicle’ that fully complies with the DVLA “8 Point Rule”.

See here:
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...tered-vehicles

This is because the Spitfire has a separate chassis and the chassis is the key to its DVLA registration identity, not the body shell.

You will notice that the original body shell is not even listed in the list of points that you need to keep.

This is the Spitfire rolling chassis I used for my “rebody” and this claims a full house of 14 DVLA points.

The next key point is that any alternative body shell that you fit must be bolted to the chassis.

So in the case of the Tribute A352, the fibreglass body shell is bonded to the cut down Spitfire tub.

This then forms a “new” body shell that is bolted to the Spitfire chassis.

So the fact you cut the windscreen off the body shell is allowed as you are technically changing the body shell.

I used a Frankenstein mixture of cut down Spitfire and other parts underneath my fibreglass body shell.

Please Note:
The Spitfire chassis VIN number is actually attached to the body shell, so you need to retain this in your A352.

Hope that helps, Paul.

PS
Feel free to start a new thread to cover your build ideas, even if it is still at an early stage.
Old 26th February 2018, 17:44

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Naughty but.........
Could you graft a A352 to say the Z3 bodyshell complete with odd looking windscreen and get the V5 changed stating A352.
What is then to stop the next owner chopping off the windscreen and doing a few more mods?
You can get an agreed valuation insurance policy advising of all the mods including windscreen chop with pictures so there would be no comeback from the insurance company in case of an accident.
As I say, naughty but.............
Old 26th February 2018, 18:50

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
...What is then to stop the next owner chopping off the windscreen and doing a few more mods?...
[Party Pooper]

The same 8 point rule that requires you to keep the original, unmodified, monocoque if you want to keep the original Z3 registration without IVA.

[/Party Pooper]

Old 27th February 2018, 07:52

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSS
I’ve Never quite been sure why the Spitfire/A352 conversion doesn’t need an IVA? Surely the door mods and windscreen removals constitute a fairly big change to the structure of the car?
Hi MJSS

The body of a Spitfire is completely separate from the chassis. As Paul says, only the centre tub and half the boot/rear wings area are needed for an A352. The windscreen/doors/bonnet are all bolt on anyway, so even were it of monocoque construction their removal would be within the DVLA rebody rules.

Not just because it's the way I did it, but I would go the Spitfire route simply because it's the least difficult. I was going to say 'easiest' but that's without doubt the wrong adjective..........

Thanks for kind comments!

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 27th February 2018 at 09:12..
Old 27th February 2018, 09:21

Lightbulb Spitfire Route

This wouldn't be a bad place to start from......

Regards, Mick
Old 27th February 2018, 09:35

MJSS is on a distinguished road

Everyone,

Thanks very much for all the replies. Really didn’t expect this much help!

I think i’ve been convinced to go down the Spitfire/D-Type route. Definitely appreciate it’s a case of ‘least difficult’ rather than easiest, but it will (fingers crossed) give me the look i’m hoping for.

I suppose it’s time to find a Spitfire then. Thanks for the link Mick. Good to know how little Spitfire I actually need to start from!
Old 28th February 2018, 00:26

UpstateCobraGuy is on a distinguished road

The Herald (91”) would make a better choice due to it wheelbase being closer to the Jag’s 90”. The Spit is too short at 83”.
Old 28th February 2018, 07:13

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCobraGuy View Post
The Herald (91”) would make a better choice due to it wheelbase being closer to the Jag’s 90”. The Spit is too short at 83”.
True, but I do believe that the Tribute D Type shell was narrowed about 4" to compensate for the lack of length and make the proportions look 'right' on the Spit wheelbase.
Old 28th February 2018, 09:26

Wardy50 is on a distinguished road

That ebay chassis looks very good indeed, even the outriggers and front crossmember appear sound. If it's as good as advertised then that would indeed be a very good place to start. I spent weeks repairing mine, which is Ok, but very tedious and costs can mount up. It also benefits from being the later swing spring, and probably the better diff.
From memory Spitfire graveyard were quoting £250.00 for a reasonable tub.
I guess just check it has a V5 with it and you're away.
Happy hunting
Steve.
Old 28th February 2018, 13:18

UpstateCobraGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
True, but I do believe that the Tribute D Type shell was narrowed about 4" to compensate for the lack of length and make the proportions look 'right' on the Spit wheelbase.
I understand the A352 is narrowed, but I was referring the D-type body. I'm in the process of fitting a D-type body to a Factory Five Racing Cobra chassis. My rear axle width is around 59-60", which fits nicely inside the D body. The front is a little more challenging since the D's fenders come down around the front tires. I may need to narrow my front track to keep the "look" I'm shooting for.
Old 28th February 2018, 13:56

What are people's thoughts on this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-S...gAAOSwvphaksyU

The other rolling chassis does look good, but I'm worried that that level of chassis up restoration prior to rebodying might be beyond me (this is my first kit car, never gone beyond light restoration (sanding/filling etc...), and the odd new panel before.
Old 28th February 2018, 14:58

Barber is on a distinguished road

Looks a good start point.
Old 21st April 2018, 09:19

Talking Shopping, boring?

I had to consider for almost a nanosecond whether to zip to Asda in the Micra or the A352?

Good choice!

Regards, Mick
Old 21st April 2018, 09:22

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Worth investing in a baby seat. That way you can park in the mother & child spot which is wider so you don't get idiots opening their car door against it.
Old 21st April 2018, 21:57
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Nice car! That is all ...
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:44

Look's stunning Mick!
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:51

Wardy50 is on a distinguished road

Very, very nice!
Hope mine looks half as good when it's finished.
Showed my wife these photo's as a 'here's one that someone prepared earlier', and to explain why I'm always in the garage.
She gets it now, and replied with 'stunning' - praise indeed!
Steve.
Old 8th May 2018, 09:10

Talking Blisteringly Good Weekend :)

My original plan for the May Bank Holiday weekend was Shelsley Walsh Saturday; Stoneleigh Sunday, and Castle Combe Monday. However, when squaring these with an old friend from my pre-lit Westfield days, he told me he was competing at Shelsley on the Sunday, so I decided to scratch Castle Combe and move the other visits forward a day.

I used to blast up the M5 to Worcester from here in Gloucester before the rural part of my regular Shelsley trips, but I decided to try the A38 through Tewkesbury, a route I used to take in my official capacity when I worked. Being a signatory of The Official Secrets Act, I can't name names, but I once presented a cheque for circa £250,000 for input to my employer's account at a bank there. The ever suspicious teller quibbled, and wouldn't accept it before 'phoning said employer. Banks not wanting money? Surely a first!

Anyway, the early drive in the A352 through the sun soaked countryside was amazing and I arrived slightly later than usual at 0815. Despite not having been a member of MAC for years, I was directed away from the public car parking area, and from the members' area, to the front row of the grid with the real classics. Result! An absolutely beautiful XK120 roadster was my neighbour and a little later an equally beautiful XK120 coupé in a non-standard, but nevertheless fabulous, colour joined the line. If you've never been there go, I can't rave about it enough.

I fielded the by now normal plethora of compliments and questions and, judging by the number of times she was photographed, the A352 would surely blush if she could.

An 0650 start yesterday with my #3 son riding shotgun saw us on the road to Stoneleigh. At the end of another glorious drive, this time up the largely deserted Fosseway, I was stunned to be the only car at the entrance. I've been going to this event on and off since '86 and fully expected to be in the midst of the usual mass of Cobras and Caterhams (used to be Duttons and Jagos) awaiting entry. We were the first of three on the Tribute stand and again fielded many compliments and enquiries.

The overall turnout was very low compared to many previous years, a bit of a disappointment really. This was leavened by visits to the Westfield stand where they not only had a thoroughly regimented display each side of their imaginatively dubbed 'Westfield Avenue', overseen by stewards in dedicated Westfield high-vis gilets, but also a printed instruction on each vehicle detailing at which time bonnets should be opened! I most definitely prefer our low-key approach. I had to resist the temptation to ask if, in infancy, they'd been told off for playing with their motions......

Car of the show for me was a Buckler of which I only took analogue photo's. I loved that it had three slim wood blocks holding the rear of the bonnet just clear of the scuttle for additional cooling. Abarth clips is the technical term, I believe.

On return, and having spent circa six hours in the cockpit over the two days, my face now felt a couple of sizes too small, but nothing that a few sherbets didn't anaesthetise .

A truly fab weekend.

Regards, Mick

p.s. Blue is the colour, it seems..........

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 8th May 2018 at 09:48..
Old 8th May 2018, 09:34

IanA is on a distinguished road

Good to see you at Stoneleigh, Mick. The car looks great.
Strangely, Sunday was busier than Monday even though the weather was as good. That Westfield plot never filled up as in previous years and there were a few empty corners (and sides) in the halls.
Hopefully the good day on Sunday with crowds of people coming in from the public car park will guarantee the show's return next year.
Old 8th May 2018, 09:43

Thumbs up Gracias Señor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
Good to see you at Stoneleigh, Mick. The car looks great.
You too, and thanks for the compliment .