Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 19th March 2015, 18:03

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I bet the picture was taken on a digital camera or phone and not on film...

..Damn, I just can't help myself ;-)
Old 19th March 2015, 18:04

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

No, it was actually sheer luck that as a (former) student I just happened to have a pile of traffic cones on my head when my car broke down.
Old 20th March 2015, 17:43

tonyt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I can sympathise with the 'modern cars are too complicated' standpoint, this, my only breakdown in the Spyder to date -

was caused by this -

a modern, multi spark ignition module I'd added for extra reliability, failing under full power.

I've got to say though that changes can be made to the donor that will transform its 'feel' as a car. Tall sidewall tyres, different exhaust, removal of soundproofing etc. My Spyder doesn't feel anything like a Triumph Vitesse to drive now it's wearing its party frock.
Almost RIM compliant more cones and an arrow sign required.
Old 20th March 2015, 18:34

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

You tell him Tony!
Old 20th March 2015, 19:24

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

I don't have a problem with nostalgia and preferring old cars to modern ones, a matter of personal choice.

Today's cars are faster, safer, more economical, better braked, more reliable, less polluting, more durable and more comfortable. So yes, an old banger may be more engaging to drive and more fun, just don't try to claim it is better.
Old 21st March 2015, 11:59

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmannnn View Post
I don't have a problem with nostalgia and preferring old cars to modern ones, a matter of personal choice.

Today's cars are faster, safer, more economical, better braked, more reliable, less polluting, more durable and more comfortable. So yes, an old banger may be more engaging to drive and more fun, just don't try to claim it is better.
I take your point about the positive points of modern cars - believe it or not, my 2007 Nissan Micra 1.2 Activ is half a second faster from 0 to 60mph than the original Lotus Cortina (see links below) - but I think maybe you've missed the point about what you want a car to be or do.

If you want quick, safe, economical reliable transportation for a number of passengers and their luggage, you pretty much can't buy a bad car these days. On a budget of £15-20k, anything new from Ford or Vauxhall will fit the bill. Got £30-£80k to spend? You'll probably be happy with anything Audi, BMW or Mercedes can sell you. If money's tight, Dacia do a range of perfectly good cars for under £10k new.

If you want to interact with a car, to enjoy the way it sounds, feels and even smells, I'll be so bold as to say that modern cars, even very, very expensive ones, suffer from an overdose of artificiality, a glut of synthesized sound, faux feel and synthetic smell that fails to replicate the emotions a good classic can instil in you (well, me anyway).

Let's look at a case study, Ferrari.

Given a big enough Euromillions win, I'd have a Ferrari in my car collection.

But it wouldn't be new.

Why would I want a gearbox that changes gear in one nanosecond for me at 190mph, when I could have the everyday pleasure of the mechanical clack-clack of the slim, chrome wand of a classic Ferrari manual gear lever as it slots perfectly from second to third across a polished aluminium gate as I pop to the shops in Town?

Why would I want a race tuned, flat-plane crank engine that sounds like the death wail of an alien warrior at full chat when I can have music from a Colombo V12?

IMHO modern 'supercars' have lost the plot. It's become all about speed. About power. About pub (wine bar?) talk statistics - my car can change gear one nanosecond faster than yours.

Well, I'm boycotting the dealerships of Lamborghini, Ferrari and McLaren until they start building cars with proper manual gearboxes. Cars with real feel to the steering. Cars with soul.

Now, where's that lottery ticket...

http://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-spe...rtina-Mk1.html

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...atchback-2003/
Old 21st March 2015, 20:20

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Hey, I've got a 1925 Citroën so am already a convert. Not that it has a slick gearchange, a screaming V8, a top speed over 40 or even front brakes..