Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 28th February 2017, 04:40

mazdarazmataz is on a distinguished road

Can you get some pictures of the problem. My front end didn't sit right until I removed the old bonnet hinges which I had to grind off as the bolts were well seized
Old 28th February 2017, 07:32

TynoPrime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aofb View Post
Famous last words.....

Failed spring took an investment in new kit (Blowtorch, air grinder) and many hours of swearing (at least 6!!), plus a new shock absorber to resolve. Still got another one to do but that'll wait.

With all of that in place, the front end sits absolutely sod all like level - lines up great at the NSF wing and both front end corners, but the OSF wing is a good 2-3mm inwards and a good 10mm too high, at best it's a good 5mm too high but wont bend any more so no chance it'll bend out alone. Looks like I'm going to have to relief cut and / or just cut the section out and patch it. Bugger! I wanted to learn GRP repairs on non-critical stuff really...

I'm intending to get all nerdish on it this weekend and check alignment of everything to a decent degree (+/- 2mm), but I suspect it'll tell me what I already know.
Sounds silly but have you checked for anything blocking the way at the door? I assume that's where the problem is Folsom your description? My front end had a tab to meet up with an existing bolt behind the door, only on the drivers side though? This tab was positioned wrong so I actually had to cut it off in the end to get the whole kit sitting right. I also had to remove a massive chunk of the front number to get the kit to sit down fully on the chassis above the radiator.
Old 28th February 2017, 08:02

Just a thought, have you chopped the two corners of the plastic bumper reinforcement off?
Old 28th February 2017, 21:09

aofb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdarazmataz
Can you get some pictures of the problem. My front end didn't sit right until I removed the old bonnet hinges which I had to grind off as the bolts were well seized
Yes, I will next time I'm within earshot of the car... Bonnet hinges - will check and get Mr. G out again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TynoPrime View Post
Sounds silly but have you checked for anything blocking the way at the door? I assume that's where the problem is Folsom your description? My front end had a tab to meet up with an existing bolt behind the door, only on the drivers side though? This tab was positioned wrong so I actually had to cut it off in the end to get the whole kit sitting right. I also had to remove a massive chunk of the front number to get the kit to sit down fully on the chassis above the radiator.
Ooh, that is particularly useful re tab positioning! Passenger side is clear - I've adjusted the checkstrap slightly so it clears the kit, drivers' side, don't know...I cant get the kit within 5mm of where it needs to go, but it doesn't look like anything is fouling. It's sitting perfectly on the front crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdarazmataz
Just a thought, have you chopped the two corners of the plastic bumper reinforcement off?
Not yet no, but I haven't got my lights in yet (I'm intending on making adjustments to the crash box later)- again, it looks to clear everything but I'll have a proper look and report back.
Old 28th February 2017, 21:18

TynoPrime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aofb View Post
Not yet no, but I haven't got my lights in yet (I'm intending on making adjustments to the crash box later)- again, it looks to clear everything but I'll have a proper look and report back.
This is more than likely your problem. The bumper bar needs cutting away as it fowls on the kit itself, not the headlights. Its the curved recess of where the headlight goes in that touches if its not cut away. If you put your hand through the headlight hole (assuming you've cut it out?) you'll feel where it touches the bumper reinforcement. Cut it and you'll see the kit drop into place
Old 7th March 2017, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TynoPrime View Post
This is more than likely your problem. The bumper bar needs cutting away as it fowls on the kit itself, not the headlights. Its the curved recess of where the headlight goes in that touches if its not cut away. If you put your hand through the headlight hole (assuming you've cut it out?) you'll feel where it touches the bumper reinforcement. Cut it and you'll see the kit drop into place
Checked and confirmed, front end is not clashing on anything. Looks as though the crash bar has been removed - I can get my hand easily behind the headlight hole. Haven't cut it, but 'copped a feel' and inspected it with the endoscope.

Car is also definitely devoid of the bonnet hinges

Pics attached of issue - front end is fine (pic #053), OS wing seats nicely top and bottom (pic #038), NS wing seats nice at the bottom (pic # 113) but not at the top (pic #120). The scuttle (bit that touches the windscreen to avoid confusion) appears to be catching on the windscreen in two places (pic #131_li for NS - lesser so on OS)

Pic #120 was taken with assistance from my foot holding the bottom of the front end in place - as you can see its a good 5-8mm higher than the A-pillar base. The OS remains aligned during all this and doesn't move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170305_200038.jpg (91.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170305_200053.jpg (92.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170305_200113.jpg (96.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170305_200120.jpg (95.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg InkedIMG_20170305_200131_LI.jpg (97.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 7th March 2017, 23:22

This must be an earlier kit? As mine allowed me to retain the original wipers in their original position
Old 8th March 2017, 10:07

ned is on a distinguished road

I cut mine back to expose the wiper arms normal position as the front was fixed and not removable so if i ever need another screen it is accessible
Old 8th March 2017, 10:14

I think chris must have altered the kit at some point as mine clears the standard wipers just fine
Old 10th March 2017, 17:33

jones is on a distinguished road

When is ordered mine is had the potion to go to the windscreen or not. It went with the same as mazdarazmataz.

My solution would be you should have wing mounting points on the front clam shell. This should meet up nicely to the original front wing mountings about 12 inches down from the top. Reachable from inside the wheel arch. If there is a gap, from this thread is guess that there is is would remove that distance from the excess around the windscreen leading edge. Once the sides fit around d bolt up tight is would then set around out marking the final leading edge shape and trim back accordingly.
Old 22nd March 2017, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
My solution would be you should have wing mounting points on the front clam shell. This should meet up nicely to the original front wing mountings about 12 inches down from the top. Reachable from inside the wheel arch. If there is a gap, from this thread is guess that there is is would remove that distance from the excess around the windscreen leading edge. Once the sides fit around d bolt up tight is would then set around out marking the final leading edge shape and trim back accordingly.
Sounds like all roads are going down the same direction - I've given the car an hour or so and experimented sequentially cutting back areas of the front 'scuttle' where it's clashing with the windscreen, to some success - the clash areas are sequentially getting smaller and smaller.

My solution involves using a card / filler knife as a feeler gauge to feel for gaps, marking accordingly then cutting away.

Thought the wing mount was clashing, relief cut it then snapped it off, so will have to sort later.

I've found the thickness of clamshell to be quite (inexplicably!) variable - it's around 50% thicker at the ends that need the flexibility to get the fit, and changes between a nice chamfered edge in the middle to a plain butt edge at the ends, which is complicating issues slightly!
Old 28th March 2017, 21:40

Further good news, I've been making further sequential cuts (3mm slivers. probably 3 more - total of 10mm cut back overall) where the front meets the windscreen, only aiming ease the clashing areas. It just about fits now - needs a bit more fettling then I need to repair the wing-top mount tag then I can actually crack on!
Old 25th April 2017, 21:36

In other news...I've actually made a bit of progress. Less than I wanted as per usual but any is good TBH.

1. Front end is now sat correctly in all places.
2. Wing door end bottom fixings remediated
3. Bolts / Rivet nuts set on wing-ex plates and on demi-firewall (can't think of a better name for the bit the bonnet seal was on!!)
4. Front end 'mould adjustment cuts' glassed in [1056, 1057 atts], reinforced, P38'd and cut to approx shape
5. Rear light plates cut from 3mm ally and rivet nuts set (to be bonded onto shell on Thursday) [att 1058]

This weekend's plan is thus:

1. Finish coarse body repairs - glass in new drivers side top tag
2. Bond in rear light plates and install rear lights
2a. Bond in rear window possibly (requires headliner finishing and a minor bit of electrics to do, but would be quite a coup!)
3. Start and hopefully finish front stay bars (lower wheelarch stays)
4. Drill investigatory wiper holes and try and skin that cat...

Time allowing...start front lighting install.

I'm not going to finish the coarse bodywork yet - still have a door bump strip to delete and mirror mounting lug set to remove and have more glassing to do, some depending on the results of the wiper drilling and some to install the fuel filler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170421_214439[1057].jpg (93.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170421_214505[1056].jpg (93.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170409_155736[1058].jpg (98.3 KB, 715 views)
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:33

Progress...

Rear light plates bonded in.
Rear window caulked in.
Rear light chassis earths set
Osf top tag re-glassed.
Work started on staybars.
Wiper spindles extended

This weekend...

Staybars to finish
Boot lid and bonnet to install
Work to start on front lights
Old 20th June 2017, 21:30

Quiet month due to pressing issues with latest acquisition (my OH cajoled me into buying a Morris Minor Traveller for a venture we're planning - spent the last 3 weeks trying to get the brakes to work!!!)

Have accidentally managed to complete the MX's front end wiring (just need to get the staybars finished, weld in some fillet plates - had to do the 'Raz mod to get the shell to fit into the front corners and the front end will be done. Hoping to get the rear lighting completed this weekend.
Old 24th July 2017, 23:58

Obligatory lack of progress update...

Rear fogs and reflectors are nearly in and wired
Have selected the colour...RAL7009 in mid gloss

Moggy swallowing funds and time at present. Now had whole braking system renewed save for hard pipes. Fault traced to incomplete bleeding. Might be concluded by next weekend as I'm calling a mechanic in to finish it off.

Also can anyone please describe how headlight buckets are meant to be assembled? I can't make sense of this pile of parts!!
Old 25th July 2017, 10:55

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

If you are having trouble with bleeding brakes try a vacuum bleeder, they make it much easier to remove stubborn bubbles. I have found that sometimes it helps to remove the calliper so you move it around to help the bubbles out and keep the bleed screw to the top.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Held-...gAAOSw-kdXw9Ps