Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 28th July 2017, 19:13

Tlo961 is on a distinguished road
Default Banham help needed

I've just inherited my uncles unfinished banham x99 but am unable to find any type of build manual does any one no any where or have a copy of one I could purchase
Available from eBay
Old 28th July 2017, 19:19

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

There used to be a forum for Banham owners where they could all lean on each other ..but I think its gone ..
They are fairly straight forward but not the best to build ...I had a 550 and a 356 years ago ..more consideration was given to looks than buildability or servicing afterwards ...the 356 wing passes halfway across the battery when fitted and no way of getting it off !!

I can't comment on the X99 ....SORRY
Old 28th July 2017, 20:02

Tlo961 is on a distinguished road

The banham furoms have all closed down
Old 28th July 2017, 21:42

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

As the Banham is unfinished I think you should investigate whether it is still possible to register it before you invest heavily in it (both time and money).
I'm not wanting to "put a downer" on your plans, but because of the nature of the altered floorplan/monocoque chassis it may not be straightforward. I don't have knowledge of the alterations so may be completely wrong of course, but it's worth trying to check.
Old 29th July 2017, 08:04

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Tlo, what stage is the build at? Has the body already been bonded onto the Metro donor or do you even have a donor with the body?

As Gary J points out above, Banham's kits were a fairly straightforward build concept - take a cheap and easily available donor car, unbolt/cut off wings, doors, roof, windscreen etc., to leave a driving 'moon rover' tub, then bond/bolt the replacement panels in place, paint, trim and enjoy driving something completely different. The finished car just needed a conventional MOT and the detail changes amending on the V5.

Again, as Gary rightly points out, the kits were more about looks than ease of maintenance and if you do continue building your Uncle's X99 you should allow for access to service components, brakes, fuel tank etc.

The biggest headache with building any Banham kit today is IVA, which, if you're not already aware, is a 'super' MOT required where a car has had its chassis or unitary body radically altered during the rebody process.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval

As I think the Metro donor is a unitary body with subframes carrying the engine and suspension, IVA will be required and it's an expensive and frustrating process building the car to comply with the rules.

Having said that, it's not impossible to get a home built special through IVA, but it helps if the car was designed to comply from day one, which Banham's cars weren't (IVA was only introduced in 2009 and Banham models were all out of production before then.

As an alternative, you could find a donor with a separate chassis and similar wheelbase to the Metro (89.3"), add a tube/box section frame, bond on the body and use the DVLA rebody rules to register it with the donor's identity but with a new name.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...tered-vehicles

One final thought, I fully understand if your Uncle's project holds some sentimental value for you and you want to put it on the road as a tribute to his memory (assuming he's passed), but the X99 was effectively a copy of the original Audi TT - indeed VAG stepped in and Banham had to cease production (see ongoing discussion regarding the DNA 250 California).

It might ultimately be simpler and cheaper to buy an early TT coupe and spend the time and money looking after that instead.

Anyway, good luck with the project and there's always advice to be had from some very skilled car builders on the forum.