Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 15th September 2016, 17:56

WelshOne is on a distinguished road

Shame the mighty Lamborghini didn't make it to the track

Great cars and great report
Old 15th September 2016, 18:53

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, appreciate the positive feedback.
Old 16th September 2016, 18:24

slartibartfast is on a distinguished road

Yes Mr T ....great to meet up with you again and pick up some more tips on a first hand basis .....I finally got my voice back by Wednesday !!!!
Happy motoring
Slarti
Old 16th September 2016, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
Yes Mr T ....great to meet up with you again and pick up some more tips on a first hand basis .....I finally got my voice back by Wednesday !!!!
Happy motoring
Slarti
It was nice to meet up with you too Slarti and I'm glad you got your voice back. Hopefully your acting fee will pay for some Strepsils for the next time England win the World Cup. If you're still around for when Alpha Centauri hosts the tournament in the year twenty five twenty five...
Old 28th October 2016, 15:01

garyh is on a distinguished road

thought you might like this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4f0509812bdf81865cff789c56d15290.jpg (83.1 KB, 111 views)
Old 28th October 2016, 17:11

phil9 is on a distinguished road

my type car.....nice
Old 28th October 2016, 17:30

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Very nice, what site is that on..?
Pops
Old 28th October 2016, 19:02

Very nice Gary, I'm a big fan of the outlaw look on early Porsches. I was going to put some pics of my favourites up but it looks like Photobucket is down at the moment.
Old 28th October 2016, 19:42

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T - Given the fact you already have a car with no roof, could you be tempted to add a roof to your next project?

So from this...

To this...

Then you would have something to drive on a rainy day.

Looking forward to seeing the new build thread start at some point.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 28th October 2016, 20:00

Yep, the yellow peril will be outlaw style, will have a soft top roof and might just end up with a hard top too if I can make one that looks right. And of course it'll be silver.
Old 28th October 2016, 22:55

Triumph Special is on a distinguished road

Did we ever find out what base you are intending to use for the 356?!
Old 28th October 2016, 23:27

No. Well spotted...
Old 29th October 2016, 10:12

Okay, photobucket's up and running again so I can actually post some pictures and take the opportunity to explain one or two things.

I'm lucky enough to be able to retire in January next year after 35 years in uniforms of one colour or another. I'll have a modest heap of tax free cash and sufficient income from my combined pensions that I won't need to work 'for the man' any more, but I'm young enough to want to do more than sit in front of the telly with a rug over my knees waiting for the 'reaper to show up.

Knock knock.

Who's there?

The Grim Reaper.

The Grim Reaper hurggh...

Try saying that out loud if you don't get it.

So, I need something to fill my time until I'm too frail to work, and I could also do with a small additional income stream to pay for adventurous continental road trips and new central heating boilers without eating into my nest egg.

I've looked at part time work, stacking shelves, Uber driving (failed the interview as I'm not a potential serial killer), working for a charity, etc, but the lure of being my own boss is strong.

I've long wanted to start up a small mobile catering business but always succumbed to the security of a guaranteed salary instead. So, I'm going to live the dream, turning my hobby into a business and building classic replica cars for a living.

Madness?

Well, over on the Tribute forum it's been pointed out that the 'kit car' world has changed considerably over recent years. In the booms of the fifties and eighties customers for kit cars were typically people with lots of mechanical skills but little money. It was a cheap way for a working class factory mechanic to build an interesting plaything when he wasn't at the coalface making widgets.

The prices realised for the best looking classic replicas now though, almost £50k for a Z3 based DNA 250, for example, shows that there are now lots of potential customers with deep pockets but without the technical skills or time to build their dream car themselves. They will form my customer base.

To improve on my current income level (whilst still employed) I'll only need to sell one car every eighteen months, but I'm aiming for two per year, one right hand drive and one left hand drive as the falling pound is good news for export prospects.

I won't be selling kits or taking on commission builds - I don't want any deadlines or unrealistic customer expectations - my plan is to build cars that please me and sell them to people who fall in love with them too (if I can bear to part with them...)

Ultimately I'd like to develop my own Maserati 200si replica, I fancy having a go at a (Tribute) D Type and wouldn't mind creating a more accurate Lancia D24 Spyder (V6 motor and slightly bigger), but my first project will be an outlaw 356 Speedster.

The images I'm looking at for inspiration are mainly the smooth, paired back style created by Emory Motorsports and famously driven in this episode of Jay Leno's g'rarjjj -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSKO3Er-Yg

And some stills of this and a couple of later models in similar style -

I'll be putting my own style on the Speedster though. For starters it's going to be sitting atop a Spitfire chassis with an aluminium twin cam up front. I also want to create a bit of confusion in anybody viewing the car as to whether it's real or a replica.

Speedster replicas are so commonplace now that most people will assume even real ones are Chesil products. These tend to have the post '53 horn grilles with integrated front indicators, post '54 three dial dash and post '57 teardrop rear lights.

I'm going for an earlier look with beehive rear lights, '53 only stand-alone clear front indicators directly below the headlights and a pre 'A' dashboard with cowled instruments -

It'll still have a Speedster screen - although I like the earlier 'bent' screen on a coupe I think it's too tall for a convertible - and Porsche never actually built a Speedster with the pre 'A' dash, but that's where the confusion will come in.

Anyone interested enough in old Porsches to be looking inside will expect to see a standard Speedster dash, just like all the other Speedster replicas. Instead, they're going to find something different, the screen, seats and side curtains from a Speedster but the dash from a contemporary convertible. So, could it be a pre-production development model built by the factory in late 1953?

Well, it might just be...

More later.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 29th October 2016 at 10:17..
Old 29th October 2016, 10:20

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

It all sounds very interesting Towed ..good luck with it all ...I genuinely wish you luck ..the retro replica market is growing constantly , off the back of rising classic prices due to investment buyers etc...

Lancia D24 replica sounds very interesting ....There's a cheap S*mmio project on ebay at the moment that would be a good start for that !!

I get my Miglia body on Monday ....only ordered a back half up to the centre of front wheelarches ...so hopefully have a little play with it next week ..

Last edited by lancelot link; 29th October 2016 at 10:23..
Old 29th October 2016, 10:50

Cheers Gary, good luck with the Miglia and I think it's a wise decision not to have the fixed front end. Flip front bonnet is the way forward...

Last edited by Mister Towed; 29th October 2016 at 11:28..
Old 29th October 2016, 10:58

Just looked up the cheap project on ebay.

By some incredible coincidence it looks just like the one you've been working on Gary. Mind you, there's a lovely finished silver example lurking in the background of one of the photographs that looks just like mine!

Leg pulling aside, wouldn't you be better off finishing it and selling it on as a turn-key car?
Old 29th October 2016, 11:42

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Probably Towed , yes ...but I am deep into an A352 , have a Locost chassis'd car to build , want to develop the new one ...do a little bit of work for third parties on occasion ...so happy to assemble and sell at the moment ...if it doesn't sell , then I may well do that .....but its had 1300 views and has 124 watchers in the first 24 hours ..so hopefully it will be going !
Old 29th October 2016, 13:32
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

A man with a plan Towed, best of luck with it. It's exactly what I want to be doing as well and would love to get to the level of Axel fabbing my own metal bodywork...bliss
Old 29th October 2016, 15:04

Triumph Special is on a distinguished road

Sounds great, you'll be effectively living my dream there. I've long has aspirations to spend my time relaunching and producing an older kit car that seldom sees much attention these days.

Spitfire base sounds ideal, they can be made to work well. I've a long history with all things Triumph, do give me a shout if any issues or questions come along. Which twin cam unit are you considering? There are some ingenious engine swaps possible for the Spitfire now, even some that retain the original gearbox.
Old 29th October 2016, 17:28

garyh is on a distinguished road

The best part of this idea, is that you don't need to do it...
Build one, sell it, no overlap.